Album of the day (#4233): Black Monk Time by Monks (US)

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/22/2022 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4233): Black Monk Time by Monks (US)
Today's album of the day

Black Monk Time by Monks (US) (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1966.
Overall rank: 1,075
Average rating: 78/100 (from 305 votes).

Tracks:
1. Monk Time
2. Shut Up
3. Boys Are Boys And Girls Are Choice
4. Higgle-Dy-Piggle-Dy
5. I Hate You
6. Oh, How To Do Now
7. Complication
8. We Do Wie Du
9. Drunken Maria
10. Love Came Tumblin' Down
11. Blast Off!
12. That's My Girl

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
mianfei

Australia

• Posted: 11/30/2022 13:08
  • Post subject:
Another one on David Keenan’s The Best Albums Ever...Honest from 2003 — a list that significantly impacted my thinking when I first read it.

David Keenan wrote:
That one of the greatest albums of the Sixties — if not one of the most culturally significant documents of the post-teenage era — was birthed by five American servicemen based in Germany who dressed up like holy men, complete with robes and bald heads and sang punk anti-war diatribes to the accompaniment of a banjo that sounded like someone flapping a sheet of corrugated iron is yet another great argument for the circuitous, non-line[a]r development of rock ’n‘ roll and further proof that the official “rock canon” is an over-simplified version of historical truth. Rock's great paradigm leaps are always made in total obscurity, in circumstances where the players have nothing left to lose and no one to impress but themselves.

The Monks couldn't have had it worse, playing the hard-drinking post-Beatles circuit out in Germany and attempting to placate roomfuls of drunken soldiers. Yet the music they played, fuzzed garage punk that lifted liberally from such diverse strands as doo-wop, vaudeville, blues and sugary teen pop, absolutely refused to take any prisoners. Vocalist Gary Burger’s lyrics took in all sorts of pop-culture references — James Bond movies, cartoons — around which he framed willowing critiques of, well, everything. Black Monk Time was recorded in 1965 but it doesn’t sound like anything else happening at the time. On the one hand there’s something archaic and nostalgic about their obvious affection for simple, child-like motifs and nursery rhyme melodies but like other great sound thinkers like saxophonist Albert Ayler or the German group Can, their alchemical abilities saw them transmute this base material into whooping, infinitely malleable, songs of the spirit.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/06/2023 12:58
  • Post subject:
I discovered this album on BEA.
I love it.
It's very original.
  • Visit poster's website