Best Ever Albums App

View previous topic :: View next topic
jbfarmer

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2022 16:49
  • Post subject: Best Ever Albums App
Okay I’m sure it’s been brought up before, but seriously so would LOVE to see Best Ever Albums released as an app! I use the site on my phone a lot and sometimes there are things in browser that would probably be easier to execute if there was an application for the site. That’s all I really have to say but I’m curious what anyone else has thought about a BEA app?
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2022 19:20
  • Post subject:
I think developing an app would likely require a lot more time and money than AM has available right now, but there is a decent workaround!

If you have an iPhone (and I'm assuming Android can do this too), you can turn a shortcut to BEA into an app icon on your homescreen. That way, whenever you wanna get to BEA, you can click on that and it'll automatically open up your browser and send you to wherever on BEA your shortcut goes to (mine goes to the forums). BEA is mobile friendly now, so that's probably about as close to having an app as we're gonna get.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2022 22:29
  • Post subject: Re: Best Ever Albums App
jbfarmer wrote:
I use the site on my phone a lot and sometimes there are things in browser that would probably be easier to execute if there was an application for the site.

I wouldn't go so far as to say an app would be "overkill" or "not worth the investment," but could you give us an idea of what specific things are particularly difficult to do on a phone browser, and maybe how you would change them?

The reason I ask is that I've been a member for almost exactly a year now, and I was just about to post some suggestions of my own... you know, to celebrate! Smile

Thing is, most site developers and operators implement phone apps not because they want to improve usability, but rather because they want to influence behavior and develop habits. That might sound like a bad thing and it often is, but it usually isn't so bad if the site isn't trying to rip you off in some way, or sell your PII to the highest bidder, etc. And there are certain behaviors/habits that probably would improve BEA overall if more people would get into them, like rating/"favoriting" other people's charts more regularly, or leaving more album/chart comments, for example.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/26/2022 08:53
  • Post subject:
Thanks for posting the app idea. RockyRaccoon has pretty much said what I would have said. It would be awesome to have an app but the main constraint is time (& money). The site would need to hire developers to do the extra work, but it's not a small job and the break-even point would be far and above the likely take-up of the app (even if the app was priced at a nominal amount, it would still take thousands of downloads to break even, plus there's the ongoing cost of maintaining the app, so it's not a one-off cost).

The site is a lot mobile friendly than it used to be a few years ago (but still far from perfect) and I totally accept an app would increase engagement (the site does expose a manifest file, so if you pin the site/add a shortcut on your mobile device, it should pick up the BEA logo etc).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/31/2022 00:07
  • Post subject:
I find BEA very mobile friendly, for what it’s worth. Yeah, there’s some scrolling from time-to-time, but otherwise it works great.

As fun as an app would be, I’m not sold it would be worth AM’s trouble.

(Posted via mobile Mr. Green )
  • Visit poster's website