Song Chronicle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 09/14/2022 01:54
  • Post subject:

Link

I know what I am going to be doing this weekend. I will be re-watching the classic movie Breathless from French director Jean-Luc Godard, who sadly passed away today.

Searching through my music library this is the best song titled "Breathless" that I could find, an unusually pop oriented Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds love song taken from their 13th (wow!) critically acclaimed album Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus.

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus by N... Bad Seeds
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/14/2022 16:54
  • Post subject:
Of course I'm mostly a fan of their earlier albums but to me REM have always been brilliant and they just proved they could also do pop songs like Shiny Happy People which I absolutely adore.
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 09/15/2022 02:13
  • Post subject:

Link

A new song today, or at least one that came out this year.

"Skyscraper" is from the album Excess by Los Angeles synth pop band Automatic. Not to be confused with the UK Band The Automatic, the trio have been getting a lot of hype lately for their retro new wave synth pop (they named their band after a Go Go's song) and have been touring with some big indie bands like Parquet Courts, IDLES and Tame Impala. Automatic joins Nation of Language at being really good at re-creating that straight out of the 80's sound and based on how good "Skyscraper"is, Excess will go straight to the top of my "must listen" list. I will be sure to check out their 2019 album Signal, as well.

Excess by Automatic
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 09/15/2022 03:28
  • Post subject:
imacgill wrote:
"Skyscraper" is from the album Excess by Los Angeles synth pop band Automatic. Not to be confused with the UK Band The Automatic, the trio have been getting a lot of hype lately for their retro new wave synth pop (they named their band after a Go Go's song) and have been touring with some big indie bands like Parquet Courts, IDLES and Tame Impala. Automatic joins Nation of Language at being really good at re-creating that straight out of the 80's sound and based on how good "Skyscraper"is, Excess will go straight to the top of my "must listen" list. I will be sure to check out their 2019 album Signal, as well.

Ooh, I like this! Smile

And the drummer's playing a Trixon drum kit, with the unique kidney-bean-shaped kick drum, at least in the video... you almost never see those anymore.

Have you heard Timecop1983? Arguably they take the concept a little too far, but they're also into that 80's-retro synthwave kinda stuff. (As in, that's basically all they do.) They put out a new EP a couple of weeks ago.
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 09/16/2022 21:50
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
Ooh, I like this! Smile

And the drummer's playing a Trixon drum kit, with the unique kidney-bean-shaped kick drum, at least in the video... you almost never see those anymore.

Have you heard Timecop1983? Arguably they take the concept a little too far, but they're also into that 80's-retro synthwave kinda stuff. (As in, that's basically all they do.) They put out a new EP a couple of weeks ago.

I have not listened to Time Cop 1983 until now, but I do love this type of music. The "Drive" soundtrack is all synthwave and so is the Strangers Things theme song plus a lot of 80's soundtracks. I know the artists from "Drive " but I have never done a deep dive into the genre.
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 09/17/2022 00:22
  • Post subject:

Link

When I was a kid I used to record music videos off afternoon video shows and made a few VHS mix tapes. This was before MuchMusic (Canada's equivalent to MTV) and a couple of local TV networks would have shows dedicated to showing music videos at 4PM when kids were getting home from school. I remember I had Madonna's "Like a Virgin, The Cure's "Lovecats" and Sigue Sigue Sputnik's Love Missile F-11 plus this fun little garage pop song "Like Wow-Wipeout" from Australia's Hoodoo Gurus. It would be nice to still have those tapes just to see what other songs I recorded, as my memory is failing me, but unfortunately they are long gone.

The track is taken from the Hoodoo Guru's album Mars Needs Guitars!

Mars Needs Guitars! by Hoodoo Gurus
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/17/2022 15:40
  • Post subject:
imacgill wrote:

Link

When I was a kid I used to record music videos off afternoon video shows and made a few VHS mix tapes. This was before MuchMusic (Canada's equivalent to MTV) and a couple of local TV networks would have shows dedicated to showing music videos at 4PM when kids were getting home from school. I remember I had Madonna's "Like a Virgin, The Cure's "Lovecats" and Sigue Sigue Sputnik's Love Missile F-11 plus this fun little garage pop song "Like Wow-Wipeout" from Australia's Hoodoo Gurus. It would be nice to still have those tapes just to see what other songs I recorded, as my memory is failing me, but unfortunately they are long gone.

The track is taken from the Hoodoo Guru's album Mars Needs Guitars!

Love
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 09/18/2022 21:11
  • Post subject:

Link

I went to see the new David Bowie movie "Moonage Daydream" today and my mind was thoroughly blown. Not your standard documentary, director Brett Morgen managed to get permission to Bowie's vault and made a movie that tells Bowie's story through the use of interviews and live performances. Morgen doesn't do the usual documentary trope of having a narrator going over Bowie's career from beginning to end and having contemporaries and artists who were influenced by him being interviewed and gushing over how great he was (There are already several documentaries like this that tells Bowie's life story ). Instead, it's just David Bowie in his own voice philosophizing about space, religion, genderism, art and, of course, music intertwined with some great concert performances. The concert footage was mostly taken from Bowie's 70's Ziggy Stardust era but there are others including a blistering performance of "Hallo Spaceboy" that would give Nine Inch Nails a run for their money.

One of the cool things that Morgen did was utilize the song "Rock 'N' Roll Suicide" while showing a montage of clips from Bowie's mid 80 's era when he tried to replicate the success of Let's Dance, but failed miserably and produced some of the worst music of his career. Thankfully, he found his creative spark again in the 90's which Morgen briefly went over including using the above mentioned performance of the Outside track "Hallo Spaceboy."

Highly recommended...the only regret I have as that I didn't see it in IMAX.

The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And...avid Bowie

Top 100 Albums Of The 1970's
  • Visit poster's website
Yannick1398

Netherlands

• Posted: 09/19/2022 12:23
  • Post subject:
Really into LCD Soundsystem and the Smashing Pumpkins since the last two months. God i love those artists[/img]
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 09/21/2022 00:18
  • Post subject:

Link

Oblivion With Bells is an album by a band that have mellowed considerably over the years, and there is no better song from that record that encapsulates this more than "Best Mangu Ever". You won't be running to get "lager, lager" when you hear this song, instead it would go nicely with a glass of wine or something more daring like low dose edibles.

"Best Mamgu Ever" (mamgu is grandmother in Welsh) is the final track on Underworld's 2007 LP Oblivion With Bells.

Oblivion With Bells by Underworld
  • Visit poster's website