In the last film I ever saw
They wore suits and they wore ties
They kept the change and they told lies

Their words were short and so sincere
I thought of home my life was there
It was the last film I ever saw

Kissing The Pink were a quirky new wave band from eighties London that made arty synthpop and rock songs made in the same vein as artists like Thomas Dolby, Yello and Fad Gadget. Their debut album Naked was also their best, and with the help of producer Colin Thurston (Duran Duran), it features twelve tracks of almost pop perfection. The album track "The Last Film" is an offbeat marching song delivered in a monotone voice, and despite the track's quirkiness it had enough pop gumption to become the band's only Top 20 hit.

Naked by Kissing The Pink
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2022 06:33
  • Post subject:
The best song on Naked (in my opinion) is "The Big Man Restless," for which someone made a video using footage from Aelita: Queen of Mars, a Soviet-made silent film from 1924:

Link

I actually met these guys (Kissing the Pink that is, not the people in Aelita: Queen of Mars) while they were touring the US with Magazine back in 1983. Really nice folks!
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 11/11/2022 20:19
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
The best song on Naked (in my opinion) is "The Big Man Restless," for which someone made a video using footage from Aelita: Queen of Mars, a Soviet-made silent film from 1924:

Link

I actually met these guys (Kissing the Pink that is, not the people in Aelita: Queen of Mars) while they were touring the US with Magazine back in 1983. Really nice folks!

Great double bill!! Even though I was listening and enjoying this type of music at the time, I was too young in the early eighties to see concerts and can only imagine how awesome this would have been.
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 11/11/2022 21:32
  • Post subject:

Link

I was wondering when Black Belt Eagle Scout's music was going to be in an episode of Reservation Dogs and finally one her song's ("Soft Stud") made a cameo in the first episode of the recently complete Season 2. The first couple of seasons of the show have plenty of needle drops and features both older music (Redbone, The Stooges, Lee Hazlewood) and newer indie rock and hip hop music (The Halluci-Nation, Sturgill Simpson) and Black Belt Eagle Scout is an obvious choice for a soundtrack that highlights Indigenous artists. Her music would make an appearance again with the song "Salmon Stinta" that is featured in the final episode of the season, and is a song I can't find anywhere on the internet, so I am assuming it's unreleased. The characters in the show have an affinity for wearing cool band/artist t-shirts as well, including Wu Tang Clan, David Bowie, Rage Against the Machine and Miles Davis.

Black Belt Eagle Scout made one of the best dream pop albums in the last ten years with At The Party With My Brown Friends , but her debut Mother of My Children from which "Soft Stud" is taken is also a really good indie rock record. The album is a more grunge-y affair that has elements of the music scene of the North-West U.S. where she grew up . The songs are full of heartache and pain; the break up with her partner and the death of her mentor Geneviève Castrée Elverum were obvious influences on the writing of this record.

Mother Of My Children by Black Belt Eagle Scout
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 11/13/2022 21:38
  • Post subject:

Link

Love Spit Love's song "Am I Wrong" is a classic, but it is nowhere to be found on YouTube other than a performance of the band on Conan.

After the initial break up of The Psychedelic Furs in 1991, singer Richard Butler immediately planned on releasing a solo album, but instead hooked up with Pale Divine guitarist Richard Fortus to form the new band Love Spit Love. They released two stellar albums, Love Spit Love and Trysome Eatone, that some say are better than any records that the The Psychedelic Furs released. I disagree with that opinion, but they do come close.

Their debut self titled album is a change of direction from the post punk of the Furs with Butler singing in more of a croon rather than the raspy voice songs of his previous band (although his rasp is prominent in the live clip above). The sound has a harder edge to it keeping it in line with the alternative rock of the time. That's not the say the band didn't dabble into more poppier sounds, as "Am I Wrong" attests they were pretty good at that too.

Love Spit Love by Love Spit Love
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 11/15/2022 03:00
  • Post subject:

Link

You know you're getting old when all of the artists you listened to as a kid are starting to die off.

Keith Levene was a founding member of Public Image Ltd., along with John Lyndon (aka Rotten) and Jah Wobble, and was one of the most influential guitarists in post punk (He was also a founding member of The Clash but only stayed with that band for a cup of tea). Levene passed away recently from liver cancer at the age of 65.

Memories...yes indeed.

"Memories" is taken from PiL's 1979 album Metal Box.

Metal Box by Public Image Ltd.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2022 22:33
  • Post subject:
imacgill wrote:

Link

You know you're getting old when all of the artists you listened to as a kid are starting to die off.

Keith Levene was a founding member of Public Image Ltd., along with John Lyndon (aka Rotten) and Jah Wobble, and was one of the most influential guitarists in post punk (He was also a founding member of The Clash but only stayed with that band for a cup of tea). Levene passed away recently from liver cancer at the age of 65.

Memories...yes indeed.

"Memories" is taken from PiL's 1979 album Metal Box.

Completely agree! Such a great song and album!
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 11/18/2022 20:25
  • Post subject:

Link

Tokyo Á go-go
Tokyo Á go-go
In colored scenes
The dancing queens
With laser beams

Stephen Merritt is such a great wordsmith.

The Magnetic Fields were just starting their prolific career when they released The Wayward Bus in 1992. Their first album, Distant Plastic Trees, was essentially an Stephen Merritt solo album, but he employed a full band for The Wayward Bus and created an indie pop masterpiece released at the height of grunge in direct opposition to the hard rock sounds that were popular at the time. Perfectly twee, the record contains gem after gem sung by the beautiful Susan Anway (R.I.P.), and is guaranteed to brighten even the greyest day. Unfortunately, this was that last release to feature Anway

'Tokyo Á Go-Go" is my favourite track off the album, but there are so many great songs on the record that may change on my next listen.

Distant Plastic Trees and The Wayward Bus were reissued in 1994 as a compilation and then again in 2014 as a double vinyl LP.

The Wayward Bus / Distant Plastic Trees...tic Fields
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 11/20/2022 21:05
  • Post subject:

Link

Shriekback was one of my brother's favourite albums. I remember we had to rush to the big city to buy their album Oil and Gold because of the song "Nemesis" which was in heavy rotation on local alternative radio at the time.

Shriekback is the project of Barry Andrews (XTC) and Dave Allen (Gang of Four) who took the latter's dance post punk style and added electronics to create something even more dance-y. They put out four pretty solid albums and bunch of 12' singles before breaking up in 1988. They reunited in the early 2000's and are still a going concern to this day.

One of their better singles is "My Spine (Is The Bassline)" released on 12" in 1982 or you can find it on their compilation album The Dancing Years. If you are looking for a song to play at your retro 80's dance party this song will guarantee to get the party started.

The Dancing Years by Shriekback
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 11/22/2022 01:40
  • Post subject:

Link

Warning: Sexually Explicit Lyrics

Consolidated is an industrial band that when they started out were way ahead of their time. As other industrial bands were starting to fuse their experimental electronic and dance music with metal, Consolidated embraced the emerging Hip hop scene that was beginning to get popular at the end of the 80's. Their music has a direct lineage to modern day Industrial Hip hop acts like Moor Mother and Death Grips.

The band are known for their far left activism and in 1992 released a sprawling record, Play More Music, that had songs that focused on issues that varied from animal rights to women's rights. The band would put microphones out in the audience when they played live shows and their fans recorded comments during their performance. A lot of these comments were included on the album as "skits" and are interspersed between the songs throughout the record's 70 minute run time.

One of the radical songs on the album is a collaboration with rappers The Yeastie Girlz (Great Name!!) called "You Suck". The female empowerment track is probably not so radical in this day and age with sexually explicit lyrics that wouldn't be out of place on a Cardi B or Megan Thee Stallion song - another way Consolidated were ahead of their time.

Play More Music by Consolidated
  • Visit poster's website