Song Chronicle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 12/18/2022 22:31
  • Post subject:

Link

"Pow" is nice airy indie rock track that bounces along and gets your toes tapping. You don't need to be fluent in French to appreciate how good a song this is.

Corridor is a Canadian band from Quebec and the first French group to be signed to Subpop.

"Pow" is taken from their third album "Junior" which is their first album for the ubiquitous indie rock label. The band make a nice set of motorik psychedelic French lyric songs on this record that seem to be in debt to Animal Collective. "Pow" on the other hand stills maintains a motorik beat but might be closer to 80's post punk.

Junior by Corridor
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 12/20/2022 03:24
  • Post subject:

Link

Hello, I'm Terry, and I'm going to enjoy myself first

R.I.P. Terry Hall...heartbreaking day for Specials fans. Remembering him and "enjoying myself" by listening to the great music The Specials blessed us with.

More Specials by The Specials
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 12/24/2022 00:48
  • Post subject:

Link

Heading into the Christmas break on this cold, windy night I am thinking of somewhere warm and there is no better artist to get you in the mood than Bethany Cosentino and her band Best Coast. Her enthusiasm for her home state knows no bounds as she has proven throughout her discography and on her third album California Nights she even adds a bit of shoegaze to her sunny pop. The music on this album has been taken to a bigger and higher level than the bedroom pop of Best Coast's prior records as attested to by the title track where Cosentino's vocals soar above a wall of shoegaze guitar.

California Nights by Best Coast
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 12/26/2022 21:23
  • Post subject: Tiny Ruins and Hamish Kilgour- Hurtling Through

Link

Tiny Ruins is the moniker of Auckland singer-songwriter Hollie Fullbrook who is signed to the famous New Zealand label Flying Nun. In 2015 she recorded a collaboration titled Hurtling Through with Hamish Kilgour (R.I.P.) the late drummer of the great indie rock band The Clean. There isn't much Kilgour does here other than provide a bit of background instrumentation and added support for the young singer. This is all Fullbrook's record and it is very beautiful throughout the album's seven songs including the featured title track.
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 12/28/2022 22:13
  • Post subject: Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever- Dive Deep

Link

Here is a goodie from Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever's album Endless Rooms released earlier this year. "Dive Deep" features one of Joe White's best guitar pieces and as singer Fran Keaney describes it "Joe White came up with the perfect lead guitar tone. He was given full license to wail, and did so. I remember sitting by the fire, looking up at the stars, and hearing the guitar echoing all around the valley."

Top 72 Albums of 2022

Endless Rooms by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 01/01/2023 21:37
  • Post subject: Camera Obscura- Happy New Year

Link

Happy New Year and all the best in 2023!

Crossing my fingers for new music from Camera Obscura in 2023.

Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi by Camera Obscura (UK)
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 01/02/2023 22:32
  • Post subject: Traams- The Greyhound

Link

Traams (Time Reference Angle of Arrival Measurement System) is a post punk/indie rock band from Sussex UK who have been releasing great under the radar music since 2013.

One of those great pieces of music is a one-off epic 9 minute + single titled "The Greyhound" that is steeped in shoegaze and krautrock. The song is a slow builder, and is guided along with the help of Black Country, New Road saxophonist Lewis Evans, but the repetition of the first 8 minutes eventually storms into an explosive ending.

Traams did release a new album in 2022, Personal Best, but this 2020 single was not on that record.
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 01/07/2023 00:39
  • Post subject: Abecedarians- Smiling Monarchs

Link

The Abecedarians song "Smiling Monarchs" came up in my shuffle and it instantly brought back memories of 80's club nights.

Abecedarians specialized in post punk but on their single "Smiling Monarchs" they brought in New Order's Bernard Sumner to mix the track and as a result the song became a staple at new wave club nights in the 80's. The DJs used to play this song early in the night to get everybody warmed up for more high energy dance tracks like "Pump Up The Volume" or "Blue Monday".

AB-CD by Abecedarians
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 01/08/2023 22:15
  • Post subject: Jarvis Cocker- Black Magic

Link

In which Jarvis Cocker borrows heavily from Tommy James' "Crimson and Clover" to produce the best song off of his debut solo record. Five years after Pulp went on hiatus, Cocker released Jarvis, an album that is a little underwhelming, but does have a couple of goodies including "Black Magic", and the oh so true expletive laden "Running The World."

The Jarvis Cocker Record by Jarvis Cocker
  • Visit poster's website
imacgill

Canada

• Posted: 01/15/2023 22:53
  • Post subject: Just Mustard- I Am You

Link

Just Mustrard's "I Am You" is my favourite shoegaze song from 2022 and is from one of my favourite albums from last year. The Heart Under track is an absolute anthem.

Got to see Just Mustard in concert last May when they opened for Fontaine's D.C., and even though they were not at their best they still were pretty good and I am looking forward to seeing them again.

Heart Under by Just Mustard

Top 79 Albums of 2022{/url}
  • Visit poster's website