New Order/ Joy Division page error?

View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/09/2022 08:53
  • Post subject: New Order/ Joy Division page error?
Just noticed a weird thing that if you click on the Joy Division page it lists New Order albums as though they are Joy Division albums. New Order is identified as a variation of Joy Division. Pretty sure they are always considered distinct bands though, despite the obvious personnel similarity. Not sure if the New Order albums are contributing to Joy Division’s artist rank? They really shouldn’t in my view.

Conversely, Joy Division albums are not listed if you go to the New Order page (as expected).

Anyone else got any thoughts on this? Not sure how to correct this. The artist is locked for editing.

Thanks in advance Smile
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2022 10:17
  • Post subject: Re: New Order/ Joy Division page error?
theblueboy wrote:
Anyone else got any thoughts on this? Not sure how to correct this. The artist is locked for editing.

Apparently Albummaster did this five days ago — I think some of this "alias" and "variation" stuff is still brand-new to the feature-set, so he's probably still working the kinks out.

It looks like an "alias" is what you'd use with (for example) Dream Command, Bingo Hand Job, or the Dukes of Stratosphear, whereas a "variation" would be used with, say, Wings. (But not the Plastic Ono Band? That seems odd...)

Personally I agree with you though, Joy Division and New Order should be treated as separate bands that have some (okay, most) of the same members. I'd even do the same for the Ruts and Ruts DC, basically the same situation as Joy Division/New Order and happening at almost exactly the same time. Unfortunately, none of the people involved have made any solo albums, so aliases may be the only solution available.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/09/2022 10:30
MadhattanJack wrote:
Apparently Albummaster did this five days ago — I think some of this "alias" and "variation" stuff is still brand-new to the feature-set, so he's probably still working the kinks out.

It looks like an "alias" is what you'd use with (for example) Dream Command, Bingo Hand Job, or the Dukes of Stratosphear, whereas a "variation" would be used with, say, Wings. (But not the Plastic Ono Band? That seems odd...)

Personally I agree with you though, Joy Division and New Order should be treated as separate bands that have some (okay, most) of the same members. I'd even do the same for the Ruts and Ruts DC, basically the same situation as Joy Division/New Order and happening at almost exactly the same time. Unfortunately, none of the people involved have made any solo albums, so aliases may be the only solution available.

Oh thanks, didn’t realise this was a new thing Smile No wonder this wasn’t flagged up before then. Yep, no big problem, just sounds like a tweak from AM at some point might be needed so they are not identified like this. There are probably a few debatable ones out there, but I think New Order / Joy Division is clear enough two different bands- not a variation.

Bingo Hand Job is a solid band name. REM alias if memory serves.
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2022 21:03
theblueboy wrote:
Bingo Hand Job is a solid band name. REM alias if memory serves.

Indeed. I have a theory as to where the name really comes from (as they're being very coy about this in the linked interview) — I think it has something to do with this, and I even have some photographic evidence of my own. But I wouldn't want to Spiderman the thread.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/10/2022 09:20
  • Post subject:
Apologies, somebody suggested perhaps they be paired together, so I made the change. I can now see that it probably wasn't the right thing to do. I've just reversed out the change and re-separated them again.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/10/2022 09:42
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Apologies, somebody suggested perhaps they be paired together, so I made the change. I can now see that it probably wasn't the right thing to do. I've just reversed out the change and re-separated them again.

Thanks AM Very Happy