Pitchfork's 150 Best Albums of the 1990s

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2022 17:44
  • Post subject: Pitchfork's 150 Best Albums of the 1990s
Pitchfork came out with this list today and given that the backbone of music forums for decades has been getting angry about Pitchfork lists, I figured we could all do the same

Pitchfork's 150 Best Albums of the 1990s

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2022 17:47
  • Post subject:
In case you don't feel like scrolling, here's the top 10:

1. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
2. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill
3. OK Computer - Radiohead
4. Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair
5. Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu-Tang Clan
6. Homogenic - Bjork
7. The Velvet Rope - Janet Jackson
8. Live Through This - Hole
9. The Low End Theory - Tribe Called Quest
10. Nevermind - Nirvana

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2022 18:03
  • Post subject:
A decent number of notable absences from the list. The fact that Pinkerton isn't on there is bizarre. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is missing too, as is any Alice in Chains.

And the lack of metal representation is pretty sad (though unsurprising for Pitchfork). Loads of metal classics were released in the 90s and basically none of them are here (not even Metallica's Black Album)

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/28/2022 19:04
  • Post subject:
https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an...the-1990s/

Here's the new songlist too (Pitchfork's 250 best songs of the 90s). We have a couple comments about it in the Music Random Chat thread Smile

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness missing is definitely odd... I noticed Agaetis Byrjun was missing, but apparently Pitchfork considers is a 00s album for some reason (?).

Quote:
Think there's about 20-25 I haven't heard, may as well add a few to the queue.

Very happy with the #1.

You'll all forgive me if I say I've never even heard of The Velvet Rope before this? Laughing (I don't follow Janet Jackson at all— I've never listened to an album by her), but I still don't have a clue how an album that big eluded me. I'll make sure to get on that soon. Might do a bit of a 90s binge myself. I thought about doing it in 2020 but it never quite happened.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2022 19:20
  • Post subject:
no pearl jam? in a list of 150 albums? that's a really sad take on the 90s. i mean, i could nitpick some of the other ins and outs, but that's my only real gripe.

i do appreciate how diverse this list is. pitchfork has really rebranded itself from the indie punk rocker it was twenty years ago. i'm peached to see sonny sharrock's ask the ages is on the board. i still would like to see more jazz and non-western music (esp. nusrat) sneak into these lists, but that's clearly not pitchfork's cup of tea at this point in time.

Last edited by craola on 09/28/2022 19:33; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/28/2022 19:30
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
no pearl jam? in a list of 150 albums? that's a really sad take on the 90s.

The list does not seem big on Grunge or Britpop.

Though Corduroy did make the songs list, which I was pleased about as I think it’s Pearl Jam’s best tune.
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/28/2022 19:43
  • Post subject:
It’s probably fair to say they are being a bit woke on both lists Laughing I mean Le Tigre and Bikini Kill feature kinda prominently on both if memory serves. Plus a bunch of other stuff stands out. Of course it’s the right principal but Pitchfork have a way of being too obvious somehow d'oh!

Though I did see Moxie a few weeks ago. Kinda Bikini Kill/ riot grrrl tribute movie. It was all good (not necessarily great). P’fork must have been watching too.
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2022 20:14
  • Post subject:
They don't go into too much detail about their process methodology, but it stands to reason that if you get a bunch of music critics and journos together over a course of weeks or months to produce something like this, you're going to get a more diverse list that you'd get from fans and listeners. We could argue about why that is, but then we'd all run the risk of seeming to defend the anti-diversity argument and looking "anti-woke," when in an ideal world one's musical tastes should have nothing to do with that stuff.

What's especially alarming though is that the Pitchfork folks are getting into the fan/listener ranking game themselves, possibly in direct competition with BEA (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Pitchfork’s staff spent more than seven months poring over thousands of albums and songs in the making of this package, a series of lists and interviews that try to encapsulate some of our favorite music of a formative decade. The process included several rounds of voting between staff and contributors, and hours upon hours of “listening rooms” where the staff debated the merits of one song against another. There were more spreadsheets and impassioned Slack debates than anyone would like to admit, extensive conversations about the “critical pick” vs. the “fan favorite” vs. the “holistically beloved.” You try battling out Elliott Smith’s catalog, or OutKast’s, or A Tribe Called Quest’s, or Björk’s. (As your luck would have it, you’ll actually be able to do just that in a few days: Stay tuned for our ’90s Music Battle game and experience the agony of deciding between your own favorites.)

I don't know exactly what that's going to look like, but this could be another argument for enabling the entries-per-page setting (and/or increasing the default of 10). If other sites are putting all their ranked-list entries on one page, like Pitchfork has been doing lately, maybe BEA should be moving in that direction too.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 09/28/2022 20:39
  • Post subject:
Have you listened to Janet Jackson albums? Is it good, interesting, or is it just Pitchforks trying to be smart?
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2022 23:21
  • Post subject:
These lists are BULLSHIT. The songs list doesn't have Seal - Kissed By A Rose. And you're probably thinking "oh so that means they went with Crazy? What's wrong with that" well I'll tell you what's wrong with that: THEY ALSO DIDNT PICK CRAZY. NO SEAL. AT ALL.

Ok so that's just the song list, obviously they're just waiting to put the Batman Forever soundtrack as the #1 album of the 90s, right? WRONG. ITS NOT ON THE LIST AT ALL. WHAT IN THE HELL
  • Visit poster's website