Greatest Albums of All Time Tournament

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/04/2008 04:34
  • Post subject:
Black Saint & The Sinner Lady...though it probably won't win, seems to me the greatest album of all time, posessing an emotional intensity and relentless power that The Clash (though a great band) can't even fathom. It stands head to head with even the greatest masterworks of Beethoven. London Calling, while superb, is a bit overrated I think (I can't believe it toppled the vastly superior VU & Nico), and isn't even the best Clash album to these ears (their debut, US version), let alone the best album of 1979 (Y-Pop Group) or even close to the best "punk" album of all time (The Modern Dance-Pere Ubu...admittedly a bit more on the art-rock/new wave/avant-garde side of things, but still punk).
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 11/04/2008 12:00
  • Post subject:
Black Saint...
  • Visit poster's website
Mr.Music

Estonia

• Posted: 11/04/2008 12:02
  • Post subject:
Black Saint & The Sinner Lady

I agree. There is absolutely no question that Black Saint is superior, there was absolutely no question that VU & Nico was superior. This poll will probably end like those Rolling Stone Magazine ALL TIME polls. London Calling is is my favorite Clash album, there is alot of going on and it shows how a punk band can be more then just a punk band.
Im not even going to compare London Calling with The Modern Dance or Dub Housing, there is nothing to compare.
Sometimes emotions just get in the way of seeing things clearly, shame.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr.Music

Estonia

• Posted: 11/04/2008 12:04
  • Post subject:
Who knocker Trout Mask Replica out? That must have been some work of art.
  • Visit poster's website
banana brother

United States

• Posted: 11/04/2008 13:52
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I remember Black Saint knocked out Trout Mask a few rounds ago that was a pretty epic match-up. I wonder if some of the people who are voting in this final have really listened to Black Saint, and if they appreciate jazz in general.
  • Visit poster's website
JohnnyRocketFingers

• Posted: 11/04/2008 17:54
  • Post subject:
Afterhours...I'm sorry to say this, but someone has to... you just vote for whoever is less popular. To you, if an album is popular, you hate it and you just regurgitate what Scaruffi says about the best albums ever. i still like most of the albums you like and respect, for the most part, your opinion, but seriously...London Calling is amazing and is a good match up to Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F10tP5HIpaA
  • Visit poster's website
Mr.Music

Estonia

• Posted: 11/04/2008 20:03
  • Post subject:
Black Saint... is the best jazz album no doubt about it. Its not only Scaruffi that says that(or it makes atleast top 3). London Calling isnt even near to make it in top20 rock albums. How can it be a good matchup? Ok, its hard to compare jazz and rock albums thats why there is only 2 jazz albums in My Chart(rock chart mostly). But in my heart i know that jazz itself is a bigger artform and it has influenced rock incalculably. Rock has some big issues to deal with, one is the major shit by the music critics who dont want to see rock becoming an artform, they rather sell that meaningless shit to people. Thats why there is a huge cap between rock listener also.
  • Visit poster's website
JohnnyRocketFingers

• Posted: 11/04/2008 21:05
  • Post subject:
i don't wish to argue with you Mr. Music. I can see why someone would prefer black saint over london calling. they are TOTALLY different albums. but when afterhours started babbling on about how black saint is soooo much better than london calling and that london calling is just an average album it was more the straw that broke the camel's back. After many comments that could have been taken straight from scaruffi's mouth and posts that show how, to afterhours, it is more about if the album is experimental, jazz, underground rather than if the album is actually good. for example: Carla Bley. The only popular album that afterhours appears to listen to The Doors, which is a pretty experimental for mainstream album... that all said. i still think afterhours list is impressive and the albums that he does listen to are great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F10tP5HIpaA
  • Visit poster's website
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2008 00:25
  • Post subject:
This is why I'm staying neutral....I believe that I cannot make a decision between these two different but great albums.

I see why people hate politics. Argue, argue, argue...
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 11/05/2008 00:28
  • Post subject:
I think Black Saint is a far better album than London Calling. When considering the scope of each album, they are nearly incomparable however, I also find it very hard to rag on The Clash. It's a highly enjoyable album with a lot of variety, depth, political-savvyness, and pure joy. It's safe to say that it is more accessible than Mingus' masterpiece. But damn - it's no Sinner Lady (it's not even close).
  • Visit poster's website