Best Albums of 2022 Lists

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2022 19:25
  • Post subject: Best Albums of 2022 Lists
Since we're getting to that time of the year, I thought it might be useful to have a thread where we can post and discuss (read as: complain about) all the best albums of 2022 lists that are coming out.

Here are the lists I've seen out so far:

Paste's 50 Best Albums of 2022

Uproxx's Best Albums of 2022

TIME's 10 Best Albums of 2022

I can kinda get behind Paste's list, there are some pretty great shoutouts in there (though I feel like that Spoon album is a bit high for me). Uproxx's list is pretty solid too. TIME's list is kinda boring, but also kind of what I'd expect.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/29/2022 22:59
  • Post subject:
Really struck by the amount of tasteful, mildly proggy, singer-songwritery stuff on that Paste list. Feels like there’s a lot of critically acclaimed artists around at the moment who take influence from the likes of Kate Bush and Sparks and Joni Mitchell. Everything’s clever and knotty and oblique - and aggressively inoffensive.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/29/2022 23:02
  • Post subject:
Loud And Quiet also have their list out, and it included Hatis Noit's Aura of all things. I think it's easily one of the year's best, but I wasn't expecting it to pop up anywhere.

Regardless, like a broken record, I repeat, it is too early to publish year-end lists. January 1st should be the earliest, but by that time they're all wrapped up Rolling Eyes — I know it's for holiday/capitalism/money money reasons, but I mean... please wait. December feels left out.

I'm not positive, but my guess is Mr Morale and the Big Steppers will end up as the #1 on AOTY's aggregate.

Still unsure what my #1 of the year should be, so... Think
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2022 07:03
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Regardless, like a broken record, I repeat, it is too early to publish year-end lists. January 1st should be the earliest, but by that time they're all wrapped up Rolling Eyes — I know it's for holiday/capitalism/money money reasons, but I mean... please wait. December feels left out.

Maybe an unpopular opinion here, but I think it's good that it happens now. Because once the year is finished, there's this idea that it is possible to give the full time period a fair and honest accounting. And I know a lot of lists present themselves as though that is what they're doing. But I think what they're doing is capturing what it was like to be invested in what was happening in new music, trying to build a point of view on a time while it's under construction.

The end of the year, while it's happening, is the last chance for that all to happen.

Though personally I'm going to keep adding to my grab bag until spring of 2023 at the very least, so I do think it's good to keep looking after the year is over. But I'm glad we capture all of what's happening here, it's as good a time capsule for the way people were at this time as the music itself.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2022 16:00
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I get the perspective of waiting til January for end-of-year lists, but I think once New Years passes, most people aren't as interested in reviewing the previous year. It seems like the general attitude is "spend the last few weeks of December talking about the year that's ending" and then it's "new years resolutions and moving forward" starting Jan. 1

That said, I do agree that late November feels early to do end-of-year album lists. Give it another week or two, maybe like early/mid-December. But there aren't too many new albums that come out once we hit December, so I get why they do it when they do it.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2022 16:03
  • Post subject:
New York Times has their list up with the unsurprising, safe, (boring) choice of Renaissance as their AOTY.

Kendrick doesn't make the top 10, which is interesting. Also man, Motomami is really getting so much love this year and I just don't totally get it. I mean, it was fine, but that album just didn't click with me for whatever reason. Maybe I need to give it another listen.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 12/01/2022 17:34
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Really struck by the amount of tasteful, mildly proggy, singer-songwritery stuff on that Paste list. Feels like there’s a lot of critically acclaimed artists around at the moment who take influence from the likes of Kate Bush and Sparks and Joni Mitchell. Everything’s clever and knotty and oblique - and aggressively inoffensive.

This is a great summation of it really, feels like this could sum up every second new album I’m picking up these days.

Interesting year for music, probably not my favourite by any means but a lot I’m still loving and still have a good backlog to get through, and I do tend to agree with Hayden on these coming out too early.

Gotta go through all your charts and see what I’ve missed…

• Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2022 13:34
  • Post subject:
A couple new lists out now:

Rolling Stone's 100 Best Albums of 2022

Complex's 50 Best Albums of 2022

Relatively boring top 10 from RS for me. That FKA Twigs album was great, but again it's Renaissance at #1, Motomami in the top 5, Bad Bunny at #2, Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, etc. Almost feels like a list of the top 10 most streamed albums of the year.

And another album that keeps hitting high on charts that I can't seem to get into - Wet Leg. I dunno, just didn't click for me, but clearly everyone seems to love it.

Complex's list is a little bit more interesting. Kendrick at 1 is fine, Bad Bunny at 2 again, I like seeing Denzel Curry in the top 10. Honestly Nevermind feels way too high on both lists imo.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2022 13:36
  • Post subject:
Looks like The Quietus's top 100 list is out, theirs is always SUPER interesting, usually the best list of the year. Loads of stuff on that list that I need to check out

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2022 22:10
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Looks like The Quietus's top 100 list is out, theirs is always SUPER interesting, usually the best list of the year. Loads of stuff on that list that I need to check out

I thought I'd give the new Diamanda Galas album (Broken Gargoyles) a listen myself, since they've got it ranked at #2 and are calling it a "masterpiece." I'd have to agree that it's probably her most listenable (and maybe overall best) album yet, so that's probably good... but on the downside, my next-door neighbor now thinks I'm Satan, which is probably bad.

Shoulda used the headphones... d'oh!

Also, I liked the Wet Leg album, and I think I can see why it's being rated so highly. But I liked the Mysterines album a LOT more, and I haven't seen that on anybody's end-of-year list yet despite the fact that some copies actually glow in the dark. I might not be looking hard enough, though. Or, maybe I just have terrible taste in music.
  • Visit poster's website