Best Albums of 2022 Lists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/03/2022 10:37
  • Post subject:
Thanks for great thread. Difficult to keep up this time of year. Fwiw, quite a few of these charts now added to BEA. Trying my best to keep up with them all (the ones that are ranked and not alphabetical). If anyone feels like adding any others, please add them as a custom chart, and they'll get picked up and listed with the others (5 points per entry for any that aren't already here). I'll also continue to seek these out, so expect more to be added over the next few weeks (& back-filling some of the gaps in previous years).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/05/2022 16:50
  • Post subject:
https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an...ongs-2022/

(P4k/ 200 Songs of 2022)

Cool Cool Cool
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2022 17:02
  • Post subject:
Couple other lists are out:

LA Times' list is out, and it's mostly a recycling of all the other lists, with one notable exception - there's a Barbra Streisand live album in their top 10 which...was a surprise.

The Line of Best Fit has their top 50 albums list out, pretty interesting list, lots of stuff I haven't heard of (including the #1, so I'll have to check that out).

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/06/2022 00:28
  • Post subject:
Notes on the P4k song list—
—I do not know a lot of these songs Neutral (that's on me) — looking forward to hitting play once a playlist is up (somewhere)... I've maybe heard 55-60...
—Top two tracks being Canadian is the maple syrup on top Cool
—I did not think those would be the top two tracks
—I have no clue what Pitchfork is doing not including Simulation Swarm
—No Denzel Curry is a little odd too
—I think their song lists are getting more obscure and their album lists are getting more mainstream
—Conway's Stressed should be somewhere in the top 10
—Odd choice for Jockstrap, but I'll take it
—I'll give the list a thumb's up, comes across a bit more like their 00s songlists
—I'll need to get around to that Beyonce album...
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/06/2022 00:58
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
lots of stuff I haven't heard of (including the #1, so I'll have to check that out).

Due to the law-of-Haydens (we are all very competitive with each other), I’m unable to enjoy that album.

Wasn’t my fav, but it got a fair amount of praise throughout the year. It’s a long record, but give it a shot.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2022 16:05
  • Post subject:
Aaaaaand here's Pitchfork's list

Renaissance at #1 is kinda boring, Alvvays in the top 5 is interesting, Big Thief in the top 10 is cool. Definitely surprised to see The Weeknd higher than Kendrick.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 12/06/2022 17:58
  • Post subject:
Scrolling through p4k's made me realize that I'm kinda done with year end lists from magazines, they pretty much are of the same-same, super predictable, unworthy descriptions and unsatisfying placements, as well as nepotism. I much prefer year end lists by individual music listeners and critics. Nothing will compare to the lists that BEA and RYM have.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2022 18:14
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
Scrolling through p4k's made me realize that I'm kinda done with year end lists from magazines, they pretty much are of the same-same, super predictable, unworthy descriptions and unsatisfying placements, as well as nepotism. I much prefer year end lists by individual music listeners and critics. Nothing will compare to the lists that BEA and RYM have.

I get that. Only caveat I will make is The Quietus's list each year. It tends to be far and away the most interesting list and way different from everything else

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2022 18:16
  • Post subject:
Speaking of The Quietus, their best metal of 2022 list is out. Always nice seeing metal represented at least SOMEwhere.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2022 02:50
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
I get that. Only caveat I will make is The Quietus's list each year. It tends to be far and away the most interesting list and way different from everything else

Frankly, if this year is any indication, "far and away" may be an understatement. And I too would rather trust a BEA member chart over most (if not all) of these magazines...

I did really like the Ethel Cain album, though (sorry if I'm not supposed to reveal it here). It's basically double-LP, almost double-CD length, which is bad, and it lacks the one or two "lighter" numbers that might have helped make it less of a slough for people trying to get through the whole thing. I realize they might have picked it partially because she's trans, and that's fine by me... but in all fairness, if there's anything I've learned about music critics it's that they're impressed by something they call "raw emotional resonance," which this album has in spades. They're less impressed by craftsmanship, cleverness, and sheer musicality, which I've always assumed is due to their listening to too many albums that emphasize form over content, if not too many albums in general. Still, there's plenty of musicality on that Ethel Cain album. Maybe not enough for me to rank it highly in what's been a pretty good year, at least to my ears, but I'll probably end up ranking it in the Top 30.

Which brings me to what might be an interesting question: How many new, or new-ish, albums should I be able to listen to in the course of a year, if I'm trying to give each one that I listen to a chance to "grow on me" or otherwise impress me in some way? This is my first full calendar year on BEA, and now it's winding down, and I've probably only listened to 50 (give or take) 2022 albums all the way through more than once — which is probably double what I would have listened to ten years ago. Giving a fair-chance listen to 100 albums seems pretty daunting to me, but am I just too old or something? I guess I might have listened to more albums when I was in my 20's and had much better brain plasticity, but 100 still seems like a really high number for just one person, at almost any age.
  • Visit poster's website