Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/03/2023 21:01
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4457): Modern Vampires Of The City
Today's album of the day

Modern Vampires Of The City by Vampire Weekend (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2013.
Overall rank: 127
Average rating: 82/100 (from 1326 votes).

Tracks:
1. Obvious Bicycle
2. Unbelievers
3. Step
4. Diane Young
5. Don't Lie
6. Hannah Hunt
7. Everlasting Arms
8. Finger Back
9. Worship You
10. Ya Hey
11. Hudson
12. Young Lion

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2023 22:49
  • Post subject:
An album that I really resented upon release. Eventually, I got over myself and realized that this is a near-perfect album--the first half, in particular, is as good as any indie rock album has ever been.

Track picks
1. Obvious Bicycle
2. Unbelievers
3. Step
4. Diane Young
6. Hannah Hunt
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/11/2023 18:12
  • Post subject:
The last truly great rock album from the last truly great rock band…nothing this good has come along since. I honestly expect it never will.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2023 22:59
  • Post subject:
Good songs and songwriting like through most of their catalog. However, I find myself not often wanting to return to this record because the affection the singer puts on all of his “r’s” is absolutely obnoxious.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/18/2023 04:08
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
The last truly great rock album from the last truly great rock band…nothing this good has come along since. I honestly expect it never will.

Um...

I am really interested in your definition of "rock music". I mean I think there were probably at least 40 better rock albums that year, and I don't hate this album by any means, but that's a bizzare statement to make. I think there's a good argument to be made that this isn't exactly rock, but then again what are genres anymore especially something as broad as "rock", more so a facile way to describe a particular movment? Is this a strange way to note/lament how rock has retreated from the mainstream? I donno
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/18/2023 09:15
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
Um...

I am really interested in your definition of "rock music".

Nothing special. Anything that is either derived from rock ‘n’ roll or punk.

Quote:
I mean I think there were probably at least 40 better rock albums that year, and I don't hate this album by any means, but that's a bizzare statement to make.

Well not by my reckoning!

Quote:

I think there's a good argument to be made that this isn't exactly rock, but then again what are genres anymore especially something as broad as "rock", more so a facile way to describe a particular movment?

It would have been more facile to describe the album as alternative or indie. I chose the word “rock” as my view is this is the most vital shape that rock has taken in the 21st century. I expect that fans of classic rock and/or heavier music would disagree (ditto fans of post-rock and other newer sub genres).
Quote:

Is this a strange way to note/lament how rock has retreated from the mainstream? I donno

Nah, it’s a comment that reflects how rock has changed shape and what it means in the modern day. It also reflects my view that it is rarer nowadays to come up with something genuinely great in this genre, which has been around for so long.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/18/2023 15:35
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:

tbh this isn’t even in the top three albums by insufferably preppy pop rock, indie or indie-adjacent acts released in 2013 (shouts to james blake, camera obscura, haim)
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/18/2023 15:40
  • Post subject:
Yeah sorry blueboy I was hopped up last night sort of pre-gaming (I never actually went out for St Paddys) so that came across as more aggressive than I intentioned over an album I'm completely comatose to. But yeah I'd consider it more... "blue-eyed reggae" or "out-ironic-ing the ironic paul simon" or rock in the Mark Ronson sense. Not terrible, but terribly overrated, I didn't get the Millenial Zeitgeist seal of approval this seemed to warrant. Unbelievers is really charming though.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/18/2023 18:46
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
Yeah sorry blueboy I was hopped up last night sort of pre-gaming (I never actually went out for St Paddys) so that came across as more aggressive than I intentioned over an album I'm completely comatose to. But yeah I'd consider it more... "blue-eyed reggae" or "out-ironic-ing the ironic paul simon" or rock in the Mark Ronson sense. Not terrible, but terribly overrated, I didn't get the Millenial Zeitgeist seal of approval this seemed to warrant. Unbelievers is really charming though.

Oh no problem, didn’t seem too aggressive and I enjoy the discussion. I guess I fell for this album without ever noticing the hype all that much. I realise they are not everyone’s cup of tea, but obviously for me it’s great. I’m getting Beatles tier melodic highs here. I guess the other band they remind me of is the Police, which I’m also fine with.
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/18/2023 18:51
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
tbh this isn’t even in the top three albums by insufferably preppy pop rock, indie or indie-adjacent acts released in 2013 (shouts to james blake, camera obscura, haim)

Well I guess we are in agree to disagree territory. I like those three albums ( not really digested the James Blake one), but I just find the songwriting and energy are another level on Modern Vampires compared to these albums and notable similar releases since. For me, Foxygen produced the next best indie rock album of 2013, though I am a big Camera Obscura fan too.