Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2023 18:06
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I really don't see what people see in the Weird Al movie and I'm a huge fan.

It’s basically a feature-length version of that unmade Charlie Kaufman sketch from the Dana Carvey Show.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/11/2023 18:30
  • Post subject:
Razzies Post—

Oscar-nominated and all around most-divisive-film-of-2022 Blonde just received the Razzie for worst film of the year— and it was up against some pretty shit films. (Interestingly, in hindsight to the conversation on the previous page, the Razzie redeemer award went to Colin Farrell, who coincidentally has praised Blonde).

Another notable winner today was Tom Hanks for Elvis. I've yet to see it (nor do I have any plans to), but it's another Oscar-nominated film getting bashed (and, from what I can tell, perhaps the frontrunner for Best Actor).

Not to open a can of worms, but what is everyone's opinion on Blonde? I'm personally still hymn/hawing about it being (very low, 45-50 range) on my top 50 list.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/11/2023 20:38
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Not to open a can of worms, but what is everyone's opinion on Blonde? I'm personally still hymn/hawing about it being (very low, 45-50 range) on my top 50 list.

It's obscenely disrespectful, unartful, and bad.

BKR kind of explains my feelings better than I can:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2023 06:29
  • Post subject:
I'll admit that the endless ethical discussions about the film, while to a large degree being based in truth, are sorta tiresome for me. It is the most lukewarm of takes, and like so many discourses, seem overly based in literalism.

It's by no means a masterpiece, but it has some amazing moments, and the set-up and pay-off with the drawer is one of the best I saw last year.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/12/2023 22:24
  • Post subject:
So....

who do you think's getting

tonight?
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2023 11:55
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
So....

who do you think's getting

tonight?

lol, was hoping for Jimmy Kimmel. I jest, but I really wish they would go back to just not having a host. It pains me when they kick off the award winners mid-speech right when a woman grabs the mic... and then immediately afterwards Kimmel talks for 2 minutes straight. And that bit where Kimmel and "cocaine bear" were bothering Malala Yousafzai... that was painful to watch.

Anyway, was mostly happy or pleasantly surprised by many of the awards, but the one that stuck out to me as not quite deserving was All Quiet on the Western Front for best score. That surprised the hell out of me, I thought pretty much all the other nominees were better. Bertelmann's score was by no means bad, but I thought Babylon, Banshees, and EEAAO were better (and I haven't seen/heard The Fablemans, but a Spielberg-Williams combo is almost always solid).

And back to the AQotWF discussion: I am glad that it didn't win adapted screenplay, because quite frankly it was a bad adaptation lol (as discused previously). It was a wonky group of nominees this year with Glass Onion and Top Gun being mostly original screenplays but re-using characters from older films. Haven't seen Women Talking yet but out of the nominees, that seemed the most deserving.

Jamie Lee Curtis' win seems like a "legacy" award. All the other performances for supporting actress seemed more deserving IMO
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 03/13/2023 12:47
  • Post subject:
Best Supporting Actress was EASILY the pound-for-pound strongest category of the night. All five of those performances are amazing. It's so stacked that Bassett and Curtis are 4th/5th for me (and I'm not sure in which order). No matter who won, four other women were getting robbed last night.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2023 00:29
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Razzies Post—

Oscar-nominated and all around most-divisive-film-of-2022 Blonde just received the Razzie for worst film of the year— and it was up against some pretty shit films. (Interestingly, in hindsight to the conversation on the previous page, the Razzie redeemer award went to Colin Farrell, who coincidentally has praised Blonde).

Another notable winner today was Tom Hanks for Elvis. I've yet to see it (nor do I have any plans to), but it's another Oscar-nominated film getting bashed (and, from what I can tell, perhaps the frontrunner for Best Actor).

I'm with Hayden and Applerill on this one. I'm middling on Blonde, and as such it's gonna be on my list near the bottom. I think the film is very ambitious in what it wants to do, trying to create a window into Monroe's nightmarish personal life, which explains why Blonde goes for a dreamlike approach. A lot of her personal life is unknown, but we've heard the rumors about her troubles with abuse, drug use, feeling taken advantage of, and feeling powerless. This film tries to imagine what those troubles were like by fictionalizing them (like the novel the movie's based on). And I think that's where Blonde makes a mistake, in that it may not clarify enough what was historical biopic vs. historical fiction. Furthermore, I think the film's fundamental problem is that comes across as exploitative at the same time it's condemning the power structures that made Monroe's life hell. And this is where I think the argument can be made that the film is only furthering that exploitation. It's a complicated and messy subject. But it stems from Andrew Dominik's good intentions, trying to tell a subjective story about someone's suffering. I don't think it completely works, but I do think people should give it a shot and form their own opinions, and not casually dismiss it like the Razzies did...

...And speaking of which, WTF, Razzies? I've always thought they were a silly satirical counterpart to the overly self-serious Oscars. I usually got a chuckle or two from the Razzies, but they have been unfunny and tasteless these last two years. Last year, they created a special category for Bruce Willis performances, which was wasn't funny to begin with imo. But when it was announced Bruce Willis had aphasia, they did not immediately rescind the category. This year, they nominated a 12-year-old actress. Going after a child at an emotionally-vulnerable age who may not have developed her acting skills yet...that ain't right. The Razzies at least apologized and rescinded those mistakes. But to top it all off, they gave Worst Picture to Blonde. Now, I have no issue with poking fun at bad films and their creators who are just trying a make a buck, such as the Jurassic World: Dominions and Space Jam: New Legacies that are being made on a regular basis. But by going after Blonde and Andrew Dominik (the director of Assassination of Jesse James), it comes across as an attack against film-makers who are at least trying to make good art, which could have bad consequences of dissuading such highly-ambitious films from being made in the future.

In sum, I think Blonde is a 5 or 6 out of 10. It is not the worst film of the year. The Razzies can fuck off.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 03/14/2023 06:50
  • Post subject:
I see The Quiet Girl tomorrow. Poll's still open right? Could see it sneaking into that top 50.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/14/2023 11:40
  • Post subject:
(Will comment on Oscars soon— been a wild 48 hours on my end— should have a chance tomorrow)
+ a re: on Blonde

(I messed this up— deleted/lost the post somehow, but that ^ was the gist)

Last edited by Hayden on 03/15/2023 00:18; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website