Best Films of 2022 [Poll][Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2023 19:30
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I'm still trying to decide how many movies I tagged as "2023" I should include on my ballot. I also excluded Petite Maman because I though it'd be treated as 2021, and while I included Framing Agnes as a 2022 release (just so I'd have a 5 on it), I feel like I should show restraint, especially since there are already movies at the bottom like The Fabelmans that I don't want to be knocked off.

I saw Return to Seoul last week, and while it felt on its way to possibly joining the "2022" list (with one of the best dance sequences I've seen all decade), the final half hour frustrated me just enough to dissuade me from including it (though I still really like the film)
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 03/14/2023 19:35
  • Post subject:
My metric is whatever year a film had its first theatrical/digital release in (TMDb is, I believe, very reliable in this sense as festivals do not influence the year listed on that site). I know the rules for the lists on here are more flexible, but I adhere to first release anywhere in the world for my Letterboxd etc. (and actually screwed up last year because The Survivor only played at TIFF during 2021!)
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2023 21:54
  • Post subject:
Yeah, for my personal year-end lists, I include whatever came to Chicago that year. That doesn't just mean new releases, but certain reissues that had an explosion of popularity on the repertory circuit (like Bill Gunn's Personal Problems in 2018). I know people like Gowi feel like that's "cheating", but I consider cinephilia to be a social phenomenon I experience in Chicago, and if that perspective is good enough for Rosenbaum, then it's good enough for me.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 03/14/2023 22:51
  • Post subject:
Hayden, The Quiet Girl landed at #25 for me. I also flipped Aftersun and All Quiet on the Western Front (which were ranked below and above The Quiet Girl respectively), and those changes are reflected in the list here but also on Letterboxd.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/14/2023 23:11
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I saw Return to Seoul last week, and while it felt on its way to possibly joining the "2022" list (with one of the best dance sequences I've seen all decade), the final half hour frustrated me just enough to dissuade me from including it (though I still really like the film)

I'm hoping to see it before the deadline. My most anticipated of what I haven't seen from the year.

Quote:
Hayden, The Quiet Girl landed at #25 for me. I also flipped Aftersun and All Quiet on the Western Front (which were ranked below and above The Quiet Girl respectively), and those changes are reflected in the list here but also on Letterboxd.

That's a lot of quiets and thes.

(I'll make the changes, all good)
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/15/2023 00:17
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
(Will comment on Oscars soon— been a wild 48 hours on my end— should have a chance tomorrow)
+ a re: on Blonde

Oscars post—

Aaayyy, that was nice Very Happy
Four Oscars for Canada is awesome.
Actual telecast/ceremony, etc was nice and dandy. Think they handled last year's kerfuffle well— and Kimmel made some pleasantly sharp jabs.

Everything Everywhere All At Once sweeping was a little surprising to me (in a good way). Could you imagine if it had been released 10 years ago? The Academy would've completely dismissed it. Way too bonkers for what their taste used to entail. As crazy as 7 wins is, I'm not going to say they weren't deserved. It... made sense. Out of everything, I imagine Jamie Lee Curtis was the most unexpected win (maybe of the entire night)— I understand it's a career win, and she had better competition, but I'm still not against the result. It's a fun role, and she owned it.

Disappointed The Banshees of Inisherin went home empty-handed. It's a film that deserved at least something. Near the end of the night I started to really think Farrell would win for Best Actor. Fraser was very good, yeah— and that's a great story— but I would've preferred Farrell by a smidge.

What else, what else— oh, Yeoh winning was great. Glad she landed that. Blanchett put on a performance better than her two she got statuettes for, so it's bittersweet seeing her losing for such a fully-realized role, but... it's also fine? Because it's Yeoh. I'm happy how that played out.

When EEAAO dropped, the actor I thought had the best performance was easily Ke Huy Quan, but I figured that translating to an Oscar-win would never happen. The underdog/comeback arc becoming a reality is one for the books. Despite being a runaway frontrunner for months (and, I truly never expected anyone else to be called onstage) I think it's worth noting how phenomenal Barry Keoghan's performance was. Dude's coming up as one of the best actors of his generation— his versatility is stunning, and it's clearly catching the eyes of high-profile directors. Man's got range.

Triangle of Sadness was never going to win anything, but it would've been nice I suppose.

All Quiet winning score was a shame. Not that it's bad or anything— it would've been my second choice— but Babylon felt so far ahead of the pack. Didn't expect it to ever not win.

No complaints about Naatu Naatu walking away with gold. That was a blast. Far better choice than some credits-backdrop. Still not sure what was up with the song noms this year though... unusually fun year chock-fulla choices that got ignored. That said, the Byrne/Hsu/Son Lux performance was awesome— not sure why it's getting skewered.

There's typos in this. Somewhere. Sorry.

Think that's all I got. Good stuff. Glad the Academy embraced a bit of weirdness. They definitely edited out the buttplugs though.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 03/16/2023 01:28
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Hayden wrote:
(Will comment on Oscars soon— been a wild 48 hours on my end— should have a chance tomorrow)

All Quiet winning score was a shame. Not that it's bad or anything— it would've been my second choice— but Babylon felt so far ahead of the pack. Didn't expect it to ever not win.

No complaints about Naatu Naatu walking away with gold. That was a blast. Far better choice than some credits-backdrop. Still not sure what was up with the song noms this year though... unusually fun year chock-fulla choices that got ignored. That said, the Byrne/Hsu/Son Lux performance was awesome— not sure why it's getting skewered.

Totally agree about Score. I thought AQotWF's score was good but paled in comparison to Babylon, EEAAO, and Banshees. Tough year I suppose, but I really figured it would've been Babylon or maybe Banshees.

For Song, totally agree. That performance of NN was incredible too. I really figured in the film it was filmed slower and then sped up, but the live performance proved to me that that wasn't necessarily the case. For Byrne/Hsu/Son Lux... eh Hsu isn't Mitski. It was a fun performance but Mitski being there singing it would've made it loads better.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/16/2023 18:35
  • Post subject:
Oscar Post -

I didn't watch the entire show, and I wasn't thrilled with the results, but what else is new? 2022 was a year chock-full of great movies, great performances, great technical accomplishments, and good music within. It feels strange and inconsiderate that two movies took 11 categories (one of those movies isn't even good) while several other major contenders received nothing. The awards certainly could have been more evenly distributed, or at least in a way that other major contenders could have received just one.

I could go into detail, but I don't feel like it. FWIW, I'm not as annoyed as usual in this year's results (the only time the Academy pleasantly surprised me in the past 5 years was when Parasite beat 1917). It's cool that the Academy this year embraced weirdness, embraced different cultures and identities, and embraced 'legacy awards' and 'comeback stories' (which were all of this year's acting wins).

Still curious to hear:
Hayden wrote:
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/18/2023 13:59
  • Post subject:
My list—

1) Marcel The Shell With Shoes On
2) The Banshees of Inisherin
3) Triangle of Sadness
4) Babylon
5) Nope
6) Faya Dayi
7) Tar
8) Decision To Leave
9) The Outfit
10) The Batman
11) Aftersun
12) Everything Everywhere All At Once
13) Paris, 13th District
14) Vortex
15) EO
16) GDT's Pinocchio
17) Whether The Weather Is Fine
18) Joyland
19) Puss In Boots: The Last Wish
20) Living
21) This Much I Know To Be True
22) All That Breathes
23) Leila's Brothers
24) World War III
25) The Eight Mountains
26) Alcarras
27) Cha Cha Real Smooth
28) Broker
29) RRR
30) Official Competition
31) The House
32) All Quiet On The Western Front
33) Burning Days
34) See How They Run
35) Girl Picture
36) Mona Lisa And The Blood Moon
37) Good Luck To You, Leo Grande
38) Godland
39) Rise (En Corps)
40) Utama
41) Pacifiction
42) Weird Al: The Yankovic Story
43) Tori & Lokita
44) Corsage
45) Speak No Evil
46) Holy Spider
47) Fire of Love
48) Confess, Fletch
49) The Fablemans
50) Saint Omer

I'm expecting 2-3 swap outs in the following weeks, but otherwise—

It's weird— I don't typically bang my head trying to figure out the order of the top 5-10 or so, but this year I did. I'm not quite sure what my favourite film of the year was. My top 4 are practically a tie.

Quote:
Still curious to hear:

And will do :) (might just need a sec)

Last edited by Hayden on 05/21/2023 14:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/18/2023 22:34
  • Post subject:
Yeah, curious if you had any thoughts on the video I posted as well. Razz
  • Visit poster's website