Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/14/2023 22:54
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Ha! No wonder u were itching to start up ALC again and made sure you got the very first slot!

You were just DYING to show off this little City Pop aka Sophisti-Pop gem, weren't ya?! <Admit it! Wink Razz >

While sophisti-pop and super clean sounds are usually not my forte, even I have to bow down before this record. I swear to god it cleaned my kitchen all by itself just now. Squeaky clean with those little sparkle bubbles emblazoned on all the dishware even!

Definitely will make my year chart at the very least. I suspect it could find itself very high up on it!

Great, great rec, Gowi! Applause

Yeah, reminds me of the Natalie Prass a few years back. Wouldn't call it City Pop per se, but you do you.

And I had a bunch of ideas for ALC #1 tbh, but yes, I tend to always kick off my contests.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/16/2023 19:59
  • Post subject:
Good vibe. Quick runtime. I like.

Feels like something I will enjoy more when the weather changes; it's still cold and rainy.

Summery, driving with the windows down, kind of music.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2023 14:36
  • Post subject:
Still LOVE-ing this!!! Love

<Pressure's on to top this, Gowi!!! Razz >
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 05/23/2023 05:33
  • Post subject:
Had a good time with this one. To echo some earlier points, it does have a decidedly sleek and polished sound defining it, but not to the point of overt artificiality. Like this sounds shiny smooth but not in a way that makes me think it belongs in a tesla commercial or something. If anything it's the opposite, behind the sheen of it all a lot of this sounds unexpectedly personal (I think in no small part due to the singer eschewing any attempt at the sort of "cool and detached" vocal style that often fits in with this kind of music, there's expressiveness here). Started with some chilled out easy-like-sunday-morning ass jam before the tempo picks up and there's a slew of funky slick basslines and driving percussion that's somewhere between hall & oates and Men I Trust (with a tiny dash of Sade here and there). The album is at its freshest when you've got more dramatic tempo changes from song to song, and it does start to get kinda samey about half way through, but all things considered I quite enjoyed this. I listened to it early this morning which felt like a solid setting, but also a couple of these songs are going right onto my night driving playlist, and I have a feeling they'll work just as well in that context. Not really sure what that says about the music per se but I think it's a good thing, versatility of vibes or something idk

it's been 10 years maybe I should give Steely Dan another try