76%
 76%  [20]
Total Votes : 26

Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 12/16/2011 07:27
  • Post subject:
The Beatles killed rockabilly. I don't really miss it. It was a horribly stagnant, derivative genre.

"Rock" as we know it today was invented by them. And it's good. So... yeah, thank god for the Beatles.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
weedygonsalez

• Posted: 12/16/2011 08:25
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
The Beatles killed rockabilly. I don't really miss it. It was a horribly stagnant, derivative genre.

"Rock" as we know it today was invented by them. And it's good. So... yeah, thank god for the Beatles.

Rock as we know it today is owed to Pearl Jam. Rock as we know it "today" is mostly owed to James Brown, but also Albert King and Vanilla Fudge. "Rock" as we "know" it "today" is owed to The Beatles, but also The Ronettes and Roy Orbison. Of course, the vaguer we have to get, the more major influences crop up at the fringes. The formation of the sound we now identify as Rock, and by extent Pop, owes a lot to the Beatles, but total ownership isn't theirs. It would be tough to argue for primary responsibility, too, since their early records were drag copies of girl group singles, and their later records synthesized world sounds and psychedelic experiments being performed by other groups. That they had the greatest appeal, musically and commercially, is inarguable though, and definitely the most important part of their lasting impact.

As for "killing" Rock and Roll, they didn't. Rock and Roll was already killed by Caucasian radio executives in '59.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2011 13:08
  • Post subject:
I guess it all depends on how one defines "rock n roll." If you define it as incredibly narrowly as the author of the article does than I suppose you could come to that conclusion. But it's stupid because the author is ignoring the natural progression of history. The only absolute in the universe is change. Deal with it. The Beatles didn't destroy rock n roll, they changed it., along with many other artists. There's a big difference. Rock n Roll simply evolved, just like everything does.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 12/16/2011 14:10
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
So what this article is saying is that The Beatles destroyed rock and roll by making it more artful and complex. Would that so many other bands could "destroy" rock in the same way that he's saying the Beatles did.

Well you greatly simplified what he is saying but it seems like that's the point Think
nrs182

Colombia

• Posted: 12/16/2011 17:28
  • Post subject:
Just.. Shame on you
  • Visit poster's website
monosyllables

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2011 17:45
  • Post subject:
I agree with what he's saying, for the most part, that what happened to rock music was tragic, and that we might have an incredibly innovative, genre-bending music scene today if not for how completely the Beatles dominated the music scene in the 60's, BUT!
But, you can hardly fault them for that, can you?
I don't know if the Beatles realized how much influence they were wielding over the future of music, and maybe if they did, they wouldn't have been as hardline against playing live shows (a lot of that, though, stemmed from the limitations of 1960's PA equipment in the face of unprecedented crowds of manic teenage girls. No, seriously, sometimes Ringo would find he had been playing a different song than everyone else the whole time because they couldn't hear each other on stage)
Also, while I certainly side, if the choice need be made, with listeners rather than dancers, I think the Beatles may be partly to blame for why we need to make that decision in the first place. Then again, aren't we (weren't they--I know I wasn't buying many records in the 60s) as much to blame? For idolizing the Beatles so completely, to the exclusion of literally almost everything that didn't sound similar, such that innovative acts were pushed into the periphery.
I dunno, it's a complex issue, I guess! And that's probably where this article fails: It simplifies things way too readily. Shouldn't some of the blame rest on the shoulders of the people who gave up on trying to integrate their sounds?
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 12/16/2011 17:50
  • Post subject:
The first thing i read was that the beatles destroyed rock n roll, like the beatles killed good music. Well, that didn't make any sense, until i read further. I agree with Mr. Shankly that they didn't destroy rock n roll, only changed it.
  • Visit poster's website
monosyllables

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2011 17:59
  • Post subject:
It's easy to see all the doors that close as music changes without thinking of what we've gained. Just imagine how livid this writer would be if in the 70's the Ramones had become so hugely successful that nobody wanted to make carefully crafted pop records like the Beatles anymore!
It's not about lamenting what you've lost, but eagerly participating in what you could discover.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/16/2011 18:42
  • Post subject:
The Beatles didn't snub live shows because they didn't like the oncept of concerts, the music they were preforming was too sophisticated to be done properly on stage, that and they could barely hear themelves over the teenage girl crowd's screaming.
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 12/16/2011 19:17
  • Post subject:
Nah, this guy's description of what happened is right on but his interpretation of it is irrelevant. He gave this title to his article probably only for shock value in order to draw people to read his article. Most of his interpretations is fallacious at best. He forgets to address the "how come" things happened. He writes as if the Beatles had purposefully decided to have crowds of screaming young teens as fans.

The debate of music as a listening art or as entertainment is nothing new and probably goes back to the first cavemen howls. Even classical composers as Mozart and Liszt have been accused of killing the music scene in their days by writing music for the masses ... No one in their right mind now studies music history and says of Mozart that he killed the music scene of his day ... or do they?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website