Music gift for the person who has heard nothing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 12/19/2011 12:22
  • Post subject: Music gift for the person who has heard nothing
You know how when people get computer game consoles they have these massive bundles? You get the controllers to go with it of course but if you pay more you like get demo's, add on accessories and more importantly a group of games to start you off. For the highest price you can get a massive box of goodies. I have seen this done with DVD players as well with a few DVDs thrown in but have never seen it done with any music systems. People get into music through other means than getting a computer console.

So here is your challenge: lets say you are planning a gift for someone. They have limited knowledge of music ( they know what it is, that's just about it) but have listened to next to nothing including any of the top 40 stuff. So an absolutely clean slate. This could be because they are of extraterritorial origin, from a remote corner of Earth or being in isolation most of their life. Don't let any of the scenarios interfere with your decision because that is not the point in this.

Anyway, they agree to hear this music thing and are very eager to try it. You are the person who will be organizing a gift for them. You have quite big budget will have to make a concise decision (to avoid you saying "EVERYTHING"). Here is what you have to do:

1. Choose a system

This could either be an iPod, mp3, cd player, vinyl player, Walkman or any other format I haven't included. You don't have to tell me the exact model. You can only pick one.

2. Choose a speakers or head phones?

So speakers, head phones, ear phones or docking station? Anything else you can think of to go here? Well you can choose it.

3. Choose the music

3 hours limit. You can choose less than 3 hours if you want. You have to say whether they are computer files, CD's, Vinyl's, cassettes, mini discs or whatever else. Do you pick your favorites or do you pick what is the most acclaimed? Do want to show as much cultures as you can in your tiny limit or do you put all your chips on hard rock?

Those are the rules Very Happy Off you go and find something for your new friend!

Final thing: While the person will be very appreciative of your gift, meaning you don't have to worry about taste so much, they come from place where violence is a taboo and untalked of subject. Most forms of violence will cause them to feel very uneasy, unnerved and in some cases ill. Descriptions of strong violence will cause them to convulse and die. For some reason this is written in the small print of your instruction sheet.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/19/2011 12:30
  • Post subject: Re: Music gift for the person who has heard nothing
an_outlaw wrote:
You know how when people get computer game consoles they have these massive bundles? You get the controllers to go with it of course but if you pay more you like get demo's, add on accessories and more importantly a group of games to start you off. For the highest price you can get a massive box of goodies. I have seen this done with DVD players as well with a few DVDs thrown in but have never seen it done with any music systems. People get into music through other means than getting a computer console.

So here is your challenge: lets say you are planning a gift for someone. They have limited knowledge of music ( they know what it is, that's just about it) but have listened to next to nothing including any of the top 40 stuff. So an absolutely clean slate. This could be because they are of extraterritorial origin, from a remote corner of Earth or being in isolation most of their life. Don't let any of the scenarios interfere with your decision because that is not the point in this.

Anyway, they agree to hear this music thing and are very eager to try it. You are the person who will be organizing a gift for them. You have quite big budget will have to make a concise decision (to avoid you saying "EVERYTHING"). Here is what you have to do:

1. Choose a system

This could either be an iPod, mp3, cd player, vinyl player, Walkman or any other format I haven't included. You don't have to tell me the exact model. You can only pick one.

2. Choose a speakers or head phones?

So speakers, head phones, ear phones or docking station? Anything else you can think of to go here? Well you can choose it.

3. Choose the music

3 hours limit. You can choose less than 3 hours if you want. You have to say whether they are computer files, CD's, Vinyl's, cassettes, mini discs or whatever else. Do you pick your favorites or do you pick what is the most acclaimed? Do want to show as much cultures as you can in your tiny limit or do you put all your chips on hard rock?

Those are the rules Very Happy Off you go and find something for your new friend!

Final thing: While the person will be very appreciative of your gift, meaning you don't have to worry about taste so much, they come from place where violence is a taboo and untalked of subject. Most forms of violence will cause them to feel very uneasy, unnerved and in some cases ill. Descriptions of strong violence will cause them to convulse and die. For some reason this is written in the small print of your instruction sheet.

Hmmm...the last part will take some time, but.....

1. CD player
2. Ear phones, undoubtedly
3. As I said, this will take some time.......but lemme try......
Strong violence is not allowed, so "Velvet Underground & Nico" is out.
Hmm..........
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 12/19/2011 12:39
  • Post subject:
master of puppets

in rainbows

anything by mingus

abbey road

Last edited by kidamnesiac on 12/19/2011 13:10; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
M Hurley

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2011 12:54
  • Post subject:
Great idea!!

1. A nice record player.

2. Speakers

3. Vinyl's: Exile On Main Street, Loveless, and A Love Supreme. I think that has a bit of everything, something there would probably start the fire I would think.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/19/2011 13:04
  • Post subject:
M Hurley wrote:
Great idea!!

1. A nice record player.

2. Speakers

3. Vinyl's: Exile On Main Street, Loveless, and A Love Supreme. I think that has a bit of everything, something there would probably start the fire I would think.

It IS a great idea! And good choices. Applause
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 12/19/2011 13:15
  • Post subject:
I'll make choices now:

1. CD player - because I'm biased Razz

2. Speakers - as in the big ones that attach to the CD player

3. Here is the hard part...

I'll choose 2 albums which are extremelly acclaimed and are likely to go down a treat with a lot of people. Those will be

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon CD
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band CD

Those two have affected a lot of people's lives so if they can do it to any more that is only a good thing. Those albums old, like really really old though. What year is this 2011? Lets find something more recent:

Adele - 21 CD She's a good singer. Lots of people liked it. Good enough

Next... two more choices... I'll go for personal albums which I liked.

Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go CD
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside CD

Altogether I think that will be under 3 hours:

Adele - 21 CD
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 12/19/2011 13:50
  • Post subject:
chopin

beethoven

Tchaikovsky
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/19/2011 14:36
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
I'll make choices now:

1. CD player - because I'm biased Razz

2. Speakers - as in the big ones that attach to the CD player

3. Here is the hard part...

I'll choose 2 albums which are extremelly acclaimed and are likely to go down a treat with a lot of people. Those will be

Those two have affected a lot of people's lives so if they can do it to any more that is only a good thing. Those albums old, like really really old though. What year is this 2011? Lets find something more recent:

Adele - 21 CD She's a good singer. Lots of people liked it. Good enough

Next... two more choices... I'll go for personal albums which I liked.

Altogether I think that will be under 3 hours:

Adele - 21 CD

Wrong. It will be around 3 hours and a half.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 12/19/2011 14:48
  • Post subject:
1. ipod
2. Bluetooth headphones
3. Is This Its ? + The Queen Is Dead + LCD Soundsystem + Thriller

Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
andy_hunter

Cape Verde

• Posted: 12/19/2011 15:04
  • Post subject:
1) An iPod just so they can get comfortable wherever.

2) Big massive headphones that keep other sound out and make your ears fell nice and warm when you're wearing them.

3) The albums, I tried to pick albums with a lot of diversity for obvious reasons

Abbey Road - The Beatles

Why,

It's so iconic there's no way you can ignore it

Funeral - Arcade Fire

Why,

To understand how music can be emotional

Justin Timberlake - Futuresex/Lovesounds

Why,

To understand how music makes you want to dance and it's kind of sexy

I really enjoyed doing that Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website