my top 27 music acts of all time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
FatherTime

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2011 04:26
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:

Some great use of the vocab there Time; almost stealing some lines from Shakespeare for insults.

No I wrote that myself and it only took seconds.

harkan wrote:
Yet you tried to reply to each post someone made about you?

Hardly, I flew past a bunch of them.

harkan wrote:
Back to the list: so very canonical and displays a limited taste. Also on your chart, nothing from the last 12-15 years is neglecting some interesting, creative and memorable music. There must be something decent to make your list from the modern era.

wow, a chart with the Sex Pistols, Carpenters, Al Green and the Beatles is limited taste ? I suspect you mean that it didn't have much in common with your own. Anyway I put a long list of indie bands I like on the other thread. but yes, absolutely nothing that would come close to making my alltime top list has been released in the mainstream in the last decade. Well Neil Young's Living With War was pretty amazing but he has at least 10 records better than that.

Canonical ? That's absurd, as there are many lists on this site that wouldn't dare list the Carpenters and Bread next to rock acts, let alone to include soul music. Most of the lists I've seen totally exclude soul.

Let me tell you something that may make you think (if you're open-minded, that is). Go into any large art museum and you'll find whole wings of paintings devoted to some particular era where many of the masters were creating important pieces around the same general timespan. Then on the other hand there are whole centuries with next to no representation - because waves of great art appear sporadically in the ebb and flow of culture. Music is of course the same. So much phenomenal music emerged in the years 67 thru 73 but some recent year's top 20 hits of the year have been totally unlistenable.

The idea that the collective musical creativity in one era must be precisely equal to the creativity of another era is.. well, foolish. Likewise the idea that music constantly evolves. In reality musical culture has periods where it pretty much totally goes into the shitter. heh
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 12/20/2011 04:26
  • Post subject:
FatherTime wrote:
cartoken wrote:
FatherTime wrote:
.... then I realized I forgot Sonic Youth

The Band that saved your list Neutral

So you like them but don't like Nirvana ? That's interesting.

I like a lot Nirvana too (+ Sex pistols+elvis+hendrix) but sonic youth is the only band that brings some originality to you list.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2011 04:28
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
http://futureofrock.com/

He also seems to think of himself as some kind of gifted rock-warrior, taking his last stand upon the precipice of musical armageddon.

This is SO getting submitted to Something Awful's Awful Link of the Day.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
FatherTime

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2011 04:29
  • Post subject:
Originality ? I have some records on there that I had to enter them manually.

and surely you aren't saying that none of the other bands are original.

btw are you familiar with Jim Carroll ?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2011 04:29
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
mooseboy101 wrote:
Jackwc wrote:
http://futureofrock.com/

He also seems to think of himself as some kind of gifted rock-warrior, taking his last stand upon the precipice of musical armageddon.

Shocked Oh god that is appalling

Shocked Oh god, I take back what I said before.

FatherTime, dude..unless you're Bono, Kanye or Lil Wayne, please write less pompous lyrics Neutral

He's not gonna forget to do his thang. It's the only thing he knows how to doo-ooo.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
FatherTime

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2011 04:30
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
Jackwc wrote:

This is SO getting submitted to Something Awful's Awful Link of the Day.

So you didn't like the Herman Cain spoof then ? Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 12/20/2011 04:34
  • Post subject:
Guys, whether the good Father is intentionally or unintentio nally doing it - he is still a troll. Please stop feeding him attention.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 12/20/2011 05:33
  • Post subject:
FatherTime wrote:

wow, a chart with the Sex Pistols, Carpenters, Al Green and the Beatles is limited taste ? I suspect you mean that it didn't have much in common with your own. Anyway I put a long list of indie bands I like on the other thread. but yes, absolutely nothing that would come close to making my alltime top list has been released in the mainstream in the last decade. Well Neil Young's Living With War was pretty amazing but he has at least 10 records better than that.

Canonical ? That's absurd, as there are many lists on this site that wouldn't dare list the Carpenters and Bread next to rock acts, let alone to include soul music. Most of the lists I've seen totally exclude soul.

Let me tell you something that may make you think (if you're open-minded, that is). Go into any large art museum and you'll find whole wings of paintings devoted to some particular era where many of the masters were creating important pieces around the same general timespan. Then on the other hand there are whole centuries with next to no representation - because waves of great art appear sporadically in the ebb and flow of culture. Music is of course the same. So much phenomenal music emerged in the years 67 thru 73 but some recent year's top 20 hits of the year have been totally unlistenable.

The idea that the collective musical creativity in one era must be precisely equal to the creativity of another era is.. well, foolish. Likewise the idea that music constantly evolves. In reality musical culture has periods where it pretty much totally goes into the shitter. heh

I will be out of town for a while and thought I should respond quickly.

I guess limited was meant in the space of time, not necessarily the artists. Granted you had to add some albums in but I just was making a comment on the list.

I find it canonical in the sense of what critics might add.

And finally, as a teacher of the arts (and also still a performer/writer/director at times), I have an open mind and know that art goes in waves but within the ebbs and flows of art, a gem or overlooked piece may be something of worth. I love Shakespeare's work but also love Pinter, Beckett, Gondry and Tarantino. All autuers and have created great pieces of art.

Not here to make enemies, just giving an opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 12/20/2011 09:12
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
I didn't think there was much "trollish" in his posts... But this cracks me up...

♪ I'm not gonna apologise for believing I'm the future of rock ♪

wtf is this

also, bread is nice
  • Visit poster's website
lockyer.andy

Belgium

• Posted: 12/20/2011 10:33
  • Post subject:
pink floyd
  • Visit poster's website