View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/10/2017 14:49
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I heard that they saved them though and are going to put them up somewhere else

Yup Smile

They're working on touching it up right now, and it'll be installed outside a downtown theatre (there was a connection, but I forget what).

I never went to Sam The Record Man Sad It closed when I was 12, and I just never managed to head on over (I never lived in TO). I think the building was demolished a few years back, plot's empty now.

Honestly, the only reason these stores go bust is because of Toronto rents. I was talking to the owner of Play De Record (downtown record shop, had to close shop and relocate a couple blocks north), and the rent they had on this skinny slot Yonge St. was ridiculous (something like $8.5k a month). It's just not feasible for independents in Toronto. Hell, even HMV couldn't afford it. Imagine the rent on a place the size of Sam's? Christ. If this keeps up, Toronto's just going to be Tim's and Shopper's in a decade's time Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2017 15:06
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Yup Smile

They're working on touching it up right now, and it'll be installed outside a downtown theatre (there was a connection, but I forget what).

I never went to Sam The Record Man Sad It closed when I was 12, and I just never managed to head on over (I never lived in TO). I think the building was demolished a few years back, plot's empty now.

Honestly, the only reason these stores go bust is because of Toronto rents. I was talking to the owner of Play De Record (downtown record shop, had to close shop and relocate a couple blocks north), and the rent they had on this skinny slot Yonge St. was ridiculous (something like $8.5k a month). It's just not feasible for independents in Toronto. Hell, even HMV couldn't afford it. Imagine the rent on a place the size of Sam's? Christ. If this keeps up, Toronto's just going to be Tim's and Shopper's in a decade's time Laughing

I love Tim's!!! lol. Just great for us road trippers! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/10/2017 16:45
  • Post subject:
As a record collector, you kinda live for days like this. Some bloke put his (what on paper looked like a rather modest) collection on a Facebook selling group and he had a couple of interesting things which I picked up:

Harvest by Neil Young

After The Gold Rush by Neil Young

And another copy of DSoTM to replace my beaten-up copy. Then after I handed over the £9 he wanted (£3 per record) I asked him if he had anything else going, seeing as he was moving and wanted to lighten his load. So he pulls out this box and aside from a couple of interesting things which I snagged (Roxy Music S/T, another copy of Here Come The Warm Jets to replace the slightly beaten-up one I got for a tenner a couple of weeks back), it was full of Yes LPs, some Thin Lizzy and:

The World Is A Ghetto by War

So I pounced on that, proceeded to flick and found:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

First UK mono press, laminated sleeve, red/white inner bag, all the cut-outs intact.

And then, unbelievably:

In The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson

Pink Island label, UK first press. List price on this is £600 mint - and this is pretty much as close to it as I've ever seen

£20 for 8 records. Not bad, especially as I was stuck at home all day waiting for a plumber to fix my leaky pipes.
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/10/2017 19:03
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
As a record collector, you kinda live for days like this. Some bloke put his (what on paper looked like a rather modest) collection on a Facebook selling group and he had a couple of interesting things which I picked up:

Harvest by Neil Young

After The Gold Rush by Neil Young

And another copy of DSoTM to replace my beaten-up copy. Then after I handed over the £9 he wanted (£3 per record) I asked him if he had anything else going, seeing as he was moving and wanted to lighten his load. So he pulls out this box and aside from a couple of interesting things which I snagged (Roxy Music S/T, another copy of Here Come The Warm Jets to replace the slightly beaten-up one I got for a tenner a couple of weeks back), it was full of Yes LPs, some Thin Lizzy and:

The World Is A Ghetto by War

So I pounced on that, proceeded to flick and found:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

First UK mono press, laminated sleeve, red/white inner bag, all the cut-outs intact.

And then, unbelievably:

In The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson

Pink Island label, UK first press. List price on this is £600 mint - and this is pretty much as close to it as I've ever seen

£20 for 8 records. Not bad, especially as I was stuck at home all day waiting for a plumber to fix my leaky pipes.

That is some score Jim!!! Good to know that there’s still gold to be found out there.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/11/2017 06:54
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Yup Smile

Good. I just hope they put them up somewhere where everybody can see them at night. You're right though, record shopping in Toronto will never be as good as it used to be. With Sam and HMV gone, along with the other giant ones that I can't remember their names. Right on that little area of Yonge St. there was a shitload of those giant record stores with two and three floors that we' ll probably never see again. But the good news is Toronto still has a humongous number of used CD stores that are hidden all over the backstreets away from Yonge. So maybe they'll be able to stay in business.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/11/2017 14:00
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
But the good news is Toronto still has a humongous number of used CD stores that are hidden all over the backstreets away from Yonge. So maybe they'll be able to stay in business.

Def. And with a pretty good selection too. I've nabbed some pretty good hauls (6-8 CD's) for under $20 just by entering stores I don't even know the name of.

But yeah, for Toronto it's Sonic Boom (has since moved further north, still overprices everything), Play Da Record (likewise moved north, but amazing hip-hop/soul/reggae selection), Sam's (closed), HMV's Flagship (closed) and Kops (underrated, possibly my current fav).

But yeah, probably won't ever be as good as it used to... which is a shame, cause records are thriving, but escalating rent is just crushing them... (along with other mom/pop's, restaurants, etc... it's getting stupid).
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/11/2017 15:08
  • Post subject:
Found these two in Oxfam today for a tenner each...

Lazy Ways by Marine Girls

UK original textured sleeve

Chutes Too Narrow by The Shins

Original US press on Subpop

also picked up this week

Songs Of Love And Hate by Leonard Cohen

70’s UK reissue in lovely condition £3

Shorn by The Moss Poles

Another album I sold years ago finally back in my collection

Plus a couple of CD’s for £2 each

Ejector Seat Reservation by Swervedriver

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart by The...e At Heart
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 10/13/2017 02:00
  • Post subject:
Today, I purchased the deluxe copy of Shania Twain's new album named Now. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you and her always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/13/2017 18:50
  • Post subject:
So sometime back in the Summer Jimmy Dread gave me a recommendation which I loved and promptly ordered a copy off Amazon. After 3 months of waiting and having pretty much lost any hope of receiving said album I was pleasantly surprised today when the postman delivered it.

Lost World by Star Tropics

Also picked up this brilliant mini album...

The French Press by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/16/2017 16:55
  • Post subject:
Fast running out of room to store these, but what the hey:

Police And Thieves by Junior Murvin

UK 1st

Liquidator by Harry J All Stars

UK 1st

Diplomatic Immunity by The Diplomats

Jimmy buys middling 00s hip-hop shocker - but only as it cost me £3 and was a 4LP edition I thought 'why not?' Found inamongst a load of 12"s

Essential Blood and Fire compy - Simply Vinyl repress

Rapso Take Over by Brother Resistance

A complete revelation. More about it here...
  • Visit poster's website