Post Punk - Unsung Heros?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 01/11/2012 16:02
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
Have you ever heard TVOD/Warm Leatherette by The Normal (AKA Dan Miller, founder of Mute)? Amazing. And post-punk to the maxxx (with 3 Xs).

I have. A sensational song.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/11/2012 16:46
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:
noWaxJim has said everything I would have loved to be able to say - only better, and more.

Most kind of you. And agree with your previous comments re. synth music being post-punk. Have you ever heard TVOD/Warm Leatherette by The Normal (AKA Dan Miller, founder of Mute)? Amazing. And post-punk to the maxxx (with 3 Xs).

Those two sonbgs are amazing and it's sad that he never made a whole album in that style.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/11/2012 20:41
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
mancsoulsister wrote:
As an aside.. I have the original Spiral Scratch EP Anxious

You and me both Very Happy

Think we're obviously cut from the same cloth, MSS. I have long campaigned for the likes of Green Day, etc, to be rebranded as 'splunk'. When I say 'long campaigned', I think I may have mentioned it to a mate. Once. Whilst drinking vodka and Vimto.

Another interesting side-point... that original article has a very interesting opening line - "Post punk is a much misunderstood period". I think the person who's misunderstood it most is the one who wrote the article in the first place! The other thing the article doesn't do is mention ANY female-led acts (Crass had a couple of female members). If you ask me, post-punk was the first time women started to stamp their authority on the musical map of 'cool', whereas in the majority of cases before they were merely puppet singers or bit-part players. Again, New York was certainly of some help (Patti Smith), but the likes of The Slits, Au Pairs, Delta 5, YMG, Cosey Fanni Tutti from Throbbing Gristle and Girls At Our Best could never have happened without punk, and I think if anything this cements post-punk's most potent legacy - the asseration of women into the music scene. And if we bear in mind our mutual adoration for twee/C86/indie-pop, there is a distinct lineage between The Marine Girls, Heavenly, Lush et al and the halcyon days of the post-punk boom.

Vodka and Vimto? No wonder you like Helen Love Very Happy

I have always thought of you as a kindred twee spirit, Jim. Yours is the only chart that makes me squeal and clap my hands in joy. I am dying to see some decade charts from you at some stage! Smile I am also guesing that you collect records too if you have a copy of 'Spiral Scratch' Wink

Anyway back on topic - I totally agree with you on the female front - punk/post-punk definitely signalled a shift from women being 'decorative' to women being in bands on their own terms. I can remember even in my own early 80s childhood being dismayed at the lack of 'real' women in mainstream chart music... and I think it was this need to find role models that pushed me down the musical road I travelled (and why I like so many of the bands that I do!).

You are very insightful and articulate yourself incredibly well Jim... you should write a book - How about 'Indie Women'? Very Happy
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/12/2012 00:14
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
noWaxJim wrote:
mancsoulsister wrote:
As an aside.. I have the original Spiral Scratch EP Anxious

You and me both Very Happy

Think we're obviously cut from the same cloth, MSS. I have long campaigned for the likes of Green Day, etc, to be rebranded as 'splunk'. When I say 'long campaigned', I think I may have mentioned it to a mate. Once. Whilst drinking vodka and Vimto.

Another interesting side-point... that original article has a very interesting opening line - "Post punk is a much misunderstood period". I think the person who's misunderstood it most is the one who wrote the article in the first place! The other thing the article doesn't do is mention ANY female-led acts (Crass had a couple of female members). If you ask me, post-punk was the first time women started to stamp their authority on the musical map of 'cool', whereas in the majority of cases before they were merely puppet singers or bit-part players. Again, New York was certainly of some help (Patti Smith), but the likes of The Slits, Au Pairs, Delta 5, YMG, Cosey Fanni Tutti from Throbbing Gristle and Girls At Our Best could never have happened without punk, and I think if anything this cements post-punk's most potent legacy - the asseration of women into the music scene. And if we bear in mind our mutual adoration for twee/C86/indie-pop, there is a distinct lineage between The Marine Girls, Heavenly, Lush et al and the halcyon days of the post-punk boom.

Vodka and Vimto? No wonder you like Helen Love Very Happy

I have always thought of you as a kindred twee spirit, Jim. Yours is the only chart that makes me squeal and clap my hands in joy. I am dying to see some decade charts from you at some stage! Smile I am also guesing that you collect records too if you have a copy of 'Spiral Scratch' Wink

Anyway back on topic - I totally agree with you on the female front - punk/post-punk definitely signalled a shift from women being 'decorative' to women being in bands on their own terms. I can remember even in my own early 80s childhood being dismayed at the lack of 'real' women in mainstream chart music... and I think it was this need to find role models that pushed me down the musical road I travelled (and why I like so many of the bands that I do!).

You are very insightful and articulate yourself incredibly well Jim... you should write a book - How about 'Indie Women'? Very Happy

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/12/2012 10:04
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:

Believe me, I am dying to compile them... hence my sudden surge in activity on the forums of late (of course, I could just go through and rate 100s of tripe albums but I find the English language a more powerful way of expressing opinion that using 1-5 little gold stars).

I have oft considered writing a book but never had the gumption to get off my arse and do it. I did write a thesis on radio's relationship with musical sub-genres about 15 years ago for a Masters degree, with a raging abcess caused by a shoddy wisdom tooth if memory serves. It's a piece of cake writing about something you have a passion for, probably why I've never written anything about the direct coloration between one's class status and the headwear they adopt. Apart from that last sentence, obviously.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/12/2012 21:05
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:

I have oft considered writing a book but never had the gumption to get off my arse and do it. I did write a thesis on radio's relationship with musical sub-genres about 15 years ago for a Masters degree, with a raging abcess caused by a shoddy wisdom tooth if memory serves. It's a piece of cake writing about something you have a passion for, probably why I've never written anything about the direct coloration between one's class status and the headwear they adopt. Apart from that last sentence, obviously.

Very Happy

You definitely should because you have a flair for it. I am happy to help with research and the leg work (particulary if that involves listening to lots of albums) and have some contacts that might be useful as well. I am not as good with the expressing myself though... I tend to go off on tangents and get lost in my own world (as you can no doubt see from my charts!)

Did you publish your thesis? If so is it possible to get a copy?

We can take offline now as we are probably starting to bore the rest of BEA land and are veering far off topic!
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/12/2012 23:54
  • Post subject:
In Australia, post-punk stemmed mainly from punk pioneers The Birthday Party and The Saints:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Rowland S Howard
Crime + The City Solution
Laughing Clowns
The Aints
Ed Kuepper

These are the main Aussie ones I can think of right now (not being at my home pc but at the library [still no home internet]). Bands like Models and Icehouse leaned more towards New Wave and Pop but started out in the post-punk sound.
  • Visit poster's website