Gay marrriage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 47, 48, 49  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/24/2013 12:01
  • Post subject:
ptaylor1989 wrote:
Have you seen that viral picture of that queer, beaten man on buzzfeed. I bet he's ecstatic about the results and so am I. Keep us posted

That 'debate' about same sex marriage has certainly awakened the worst in French ultra-reactionary and crypto-fascist mentalities (see how the extreme right wing - very powerful in France - is always behind some of the worst attacks, and that's including the self-appointed leader of the anti-'mariage pour tous' protest, the infamous Frijide Barjot). My bet is that for some the subject is not even same sex marriage, they just saw an opportunity to remind France there was a very powerful clique (backed up by the ever almighty, and very rich, Catholic fundamentalists, who financed most of all the demonstrations) that was ready to fight for their right to impose their 'Travail-Famille-Patrie' view of society. Freaky indeed. The wrong move was to even let people debate the subject, a law is submitted to Parliament, gets voted because it's high time it should be, grumpers grump, and that's it. Instead of this, they had to instal this whole debate-and-explanation thing that gave every homophobic feeling the right to get aired on a big scale.
I hope the poor fellow's alright, no news of him so far.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/24/2013 12:44
  • Post subject:
Can't believe how serious the opposition was in France. In the UK there was a vocal minority who were dead against it but it never got that ugly and most people were basically indifferent to the whole idea. Still, good news for France in the end.

ptaylor1989 wrote:
I can't wait to look back on this thread, on this very post, and know that people aren't marginalized for wanting to marry the person in life they most connect with. Thoughts?

Agreed!
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2013 18:45
  • Post subject:
In America, i don't see how the government can constitutionally keep 2 people from marrying. I don't see how the Supreme Court can find a constitutional precedent for upholding California's anti-gay marriage law, but I've been surprised by their rulings before..
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 04/24/2013 19:58
  • Post subject:
Everyone is a little gay.

Except Bork.

So this is a victory for everyone.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 04/24/2013 20:07
  • Post subject:
congrats france.

australia be ashamed.

• Posted: 04/24/2013 20:47
  • Post subject:
Way to go France!! Now if only the United States would do the same.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/24/2013 21:04
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Everyone is a little gay.

Except Bork.

So this is a victory for everyone.

Except for Bork.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/25/2013 17:41
  • Post subject:
Bork is very accepting.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/06/2013 12:54
  • Post subject:
Yesterday the House of Lords (UK's second chamber) voted against an amendment to the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill which would have effectively blocked it, so good news!

The Archbishop of Canterbury (Justin Welby, head of Church of England) spoke against the bill and although I obviously disagree with his arguments against gay marriage he also spoke about his sadness that "the church has often not served the lgbt communities in the way it should" and spoke of his "total rejection of homophobic language which is wrong, and more than that, sickening".

Clip of his speech halfway down this article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22764954

Michael Bloomberg wrote a piece for the Guardian before the vote which I also found interesting. Apparently 80% of 18- to 29-year-olds in the US support gay marriage, which I think is pretty cool.
Quote:
Religious tolerance is a vital part of a democratic society. But religious rules should never dictate society's laws. Some religions prohibit eating pork. Others prohibit drinking alcohol. Others prohibit divorce. That is their right. But we reject any attempt to impose those prohibitions on society, because the freedom to engage in those activities should be no less protected. The same is true of same-sex marriage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree...ual-rights

So yeah, essentially the House of Lords is backing gay marriage so that's pretty much it. Introducing this sort of legislation always takes a long time to hammer out all the details in the UK but we should see same sex marriages by next summer Smile

• Posted: 06/06/2013 13:07
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
There was Harvey Milk back in the day, but I think he's dead now.

Lol. Somehow I don't think anyone has commented on this. Yes, Harvey Milk's dead. They made a movie about him that climaxed with his assassination.