Question about Leonard Cohen?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/02/2012 00:53
  • Post subject: Question about Leonard Cohen?
Ok so I was listening to 6music earlier and a track from Leonard Cohen's new album came on, I think it was called Darkness. Basically I thought it was excellent and even though I don't know much about Leonard Cohen I know he's been around a long old time and I thought, how come I've never got into him before and if this new stuff is so good how good must his original stuff be like?

So basically where should I start, should I get the new album or start right at the beginning and work through?

I'm quite excited that's how much I liked it.

BQ: Tell me why you love Leonard Cohen?
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2012 01:10
  • Post subject: Re: Question about Leonard Cohen?
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Ok so I was listening to 6music earlier and a track from Leonard Cohen's new album came on, I think it was called Darkness. Basically I thought it was excellent and even though I don't know much about Leonard Cohen I know he's been around a long old time and I thought, how come I've never got into him before and if this new stuff is so good how good must his original stuff be like?

So basically where should I start, should I get the new album or start right at the beginning and work through?

A compilation might be a good place to start, but his first two albums are considered classics (Songs of Leonard Cohen and Songs from a Room) I actually mostly listen to him to fall asleep Laughing as it's some of the most mellow music ever. I'm Your Man from the early eighties is pretty classic too, although beware it has kind of eighties instrumentation. Why do I like him? His songwriting. He is a master storyteller, has a way with words unrivaled by most, and listening to him is quite a meditative experience. Happy listening.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/02/2012 01:14
Mr. Shankly wrote:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:

A compilation might be a good place to start, but his first two albums are considered classics (Songs of Leonard Cohen and Songs from a Room) I actually mostly listen to him to fall asleep Laughing as it's some of the most mellow music ever. I'm Your Man from the early eighties is pretty classic too, although beware it has kind of eighties instrumentation. Why do I like him? His songwriting. He is a master storyteller, has a way with words unrivaled by most, and listening to him is quite a meditative experience. Happy listening.

^ No. Compitations are BAD. NO NO NO. Shame on you

And you've never heard Cohens early stuff? Shocked That's what he's known for. Check out Songs Of Love & Hate first. That's probably his most accessible
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2012 01:17
[quote="Hayden"][quote="Mr. Shankly"]
HigherThanTheSun wrote:

^ No. Compitations are BAD. NO NO NO. Shame on you

Anxious

I apologize for my blasphemy. Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/02/2012 01:26
To be fair I tend to steer clear of compilations unless I only have a passing interest in an artist. I think I'll start at the beginning like you say.

Is it really a good idea to go out of chronological order though Hayden? I like to go either work backwards or forwards when checking out a new artist.

"And you've never heard Cohens early stuff? Shocked "

I know, it's shocking, pardon my ignorance. No need to make me feel bad though Neutral
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2012 01:35
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
To be fair I tend to steer clear of compilations unless I only have a passing interest in an artist. I think I'll start at the beginning like you say.

Is it really a good idea to go out of chronological order though Hayden? I like to go either work backwards or forwards when checking out a new artist.

"And you've never heard Cohens early stuff? Shocked "

I know, it's shocking, pardon my ignorance. No need to make me feel bad though Neutral

You have to keep in mind that Cohen is Canadian and so is Hayden. Just sayin' Razz I'm sure his intent wasn't to make you feel bad. I used to be more of an ideologue when it came to compilations too but if you're only a casual fan of an artist like I am of Cohen than I don't see anything wrong with them. I love The Essential Leonard Cohen.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/02/2012 02:28
Mr. Shankly wrote:

You have to keep in mind that Cohen is Canadian and so is Hayden. Just sayin' Razz I'm sure his intent wasn't to make you feel bad.

True Laughing , and no hard feeling's Razz But, just sayin', yeah know?

If you want to go in order, go ahead Smile He does have some crapsoots though Confused So, maybe skip the ones with the low ratings Laughing They're low for a reason.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 02/02/2012 02:34
  • Post subject:
Yeah Songs of Love and Hate is my favorite. Can't go wrong with Songs of Leonard Cohen though either.

And an underrated Cohen album: The Future.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2012 02:39
  • Post subject:
It's worth starting from the beginning with Cohen. The sound is fairly similar on the first couple of albums and chances are if you like the first one you'll keep liking them pretty much through the 70's. Personally I consider Songs from a Room (1969) and Songs of Love and Hate (1971) his two best. They both sound much like the first album but come together better.

If you are still thinking of doing a quickie a decent choice is Cohen Live in Concert (from 1994 I think). It contains material from two concerts, one in 88 and one in 93, and gives you a chance to sample most of his well known tracks without having to settle for a greatest hits compilation.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2012 02:50
  • Post subject:
I understand you think you like Cohen but you might try a compilation first:
    The Best Of Leonard Cohen

If you prefer studio albums, here is a chronological list of recommended albums also showing how I rank them:
    Songs of Leonard Cohen-1967-1
    Songs from a Room-1969-4
    Songs of Love and Hate-1971-2
    I'm Your Man-1988-3
    The Future-1992-5

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website