Treasure hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 02/03/2012 14:19
  • Post subject: Treasure hunting
Today I was in a small second hand store and decided to take a look at what LP:s they had.
I haven't really done so for quite a while, and when I was doing it I was only looking for classical records.

Anyway, I found, for 10 SEK=less than 1,50 US dollars a piece:
Cat Stevens-Greatest Hits
ELO-Time
And...
PINK FLOYD:WISH YOU WERE HERE!!! In perfect condition!!!Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My heart was literally beating faster as I found myself holding that album in my hands.
I had to really restrain myself not to look too pleased in front of the counter lady as I was paying for it Very Happy
That was so exciting, I think I'll start scouring all the second hand shops in my home town!

Now, I'd be interested in hearing what experiences you people had with uncovering "hidden treasures".
I'm sure you have plenty of stories to tell.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2012 14:48
  • Post subject:
I buy most of my physical music collection at the local Half Priced Books near me. They're the best-run used bookstore chain in the country, and normally have a great selection in their bargain bins.

There, they sell CD's for $2 and LP's for 50 cents. Of course, this is only for the clearance items, but since those are always shuffled around, it's normally silly to buy anything else there.

As for great purchases, I've had way too many to count. If you know anything about economics, you'll know that the bargain bin doesn't necessarily mean junk like N Sync and Crazy Frog. It normally applies to anyone who has sold a boatload of copies in their day, from REM to Alanis Morissette to Billy Joel on vinyl.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/03/2012 14:53
  • Post subject:
Shocked

You lucky bastard.

The CD of that in Canada is like..$15 Laughing Vinyl is about $40-ish.

I found a copy of Ghostface Killah's Supreme Clientele (cd) for $1...That was nice... Smile But that's about it Confused Most hock shops or thrift stores, etc...just have crap. Sad I've never found anything else interesting in one.

Last edited by Hayden on 02/03/2012 15:06; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 02/03/2012 14:56
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I buy most of my physical music collection at the local Half Priced Books near me. They're the best-run used bookstore chain in the country, and normally have a great selection in their bargain bins.

There, they sell CD's for $2 and LP's for 50 cents. Of course, this is only for the clearance items, but since those are always shuffled around, it's normally silly to buy anything else there.

As for great purchases, I've had way too many to count. If you know anything about economics, you'll know that the bargain bin doesn't necessarily mean junk like N Sync and Crazy Frog. It normally applies to anyone who has sold a boatload of copies in their day, from REM to Alanis Morissette to Billy Joel on vinyl.

So not a good topic is what you're saying. Thanks for the reply though.

Well, it's my first attempt, I'm still trying to learn how to become a contributing member of this site.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 02/03/2012 18:22
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Shocked

You lucky bastard.

The CD of that in Canada is like..$15 Laughing Vinyl is about $40-ish.

I found a copy of Ghostface Killah's Supreme Clientele (cd) for $1...That was nice... Smile But that's about it Confused Most hock shops or thrift stores, etc...just have crap. Sad I've never found anything else interesting in one.

Canada, why you so expensive!?

My favorite local store has used CDs for about $8. Not too bad, and I usually just buy random ones. Although their new CDs are more pricey. I bought Ege Bamyasi for like $21. Not a fan of spending money.

HMV had some crazy sale a few months ago and I saw &Nico for $5 Shocked I was trying to convince my friend to buy it and listen to it, but he bought Rihanna instead!
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2012 18:32
  • Post subject: Re: Treasure hunting
gussteivi wrote:
Today I was in a small second hand store and decided to take a look at what LP:s they had.
I haven't really done so for quite a while, and when I was doing it I was only looking for classical records.

Anyway, I found, for 10 SEK=less than 1,50 US dollars a piece:
Cat Stevens-Greatest Hits
ELO-Time
And...
PINK FLOYD:WISH YOU WERE HERE!!! In perfect condition!!!Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My heart was literally beating faster as I found myself holding that album in my hands.
I had to really restrain myself not to look too pleased in front of the counter lady as I was paying for it Very Happy
That was so exciting, I think I'll start scouring all the second hand shops in my home town!

Now, I'd be interested in hearing what experiences you people had with uncovering "hidden treasures".
I'm sure you have plenty of stories to tell.

I remember that feeling back in the early 60s when I found great Jazz in the cutout bins. I especially remember many fine Bluebird Records.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2012 18:38
  • Post subject:
Almost forgot the Roulette Records in the bins!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/03/2012 19:05
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:

HMV had some crazy sale a few months ago and I saw &Nico for $5 Shocked I was trying to convince my friend to buy it and listen to it, but he bought Rihanna instead!

OMG. I HATED THAT. Brick wall I had bought a copy of VU&N for $19.99 about 2 months before the sale. d'oh!

Wal-Mart is also having some good CD bargains now, right before the Grammies. But...It's wal-mart selection Sad Nicest thing I saw was Black Sabbath's Paranoid for $10.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 02/04/2012 07:41
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Necharsian wrote:

HMV had some crazy sale a few months ago and I saw &Nico for $5 :shock: I was trying to convince my friend to buy it and listen to it, but he bought Rihanna instead!

OMG. I HATED THAT. ](*,) I had bought a copy of VU&N for $19.99 about 2 months before the sale. #-o

Wal-Mart is also having some good CD bargains now, right before the Grammies. But...It's wal-mart selection :( Nicest thing I saw was Black Sabbath's Paranoid for $10.

I'm a vinyl man, myself. Sometimes I'll pick up the odd $5-10 used oldie at Rotate This! or Sonic Boom, but they (the new ones especially) aren't typically under $20.

Which is why I have to pirate most of my other music.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website