Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/05/2012 13:25
  • Post subject:
pearljammer13 wrote:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Thirdly it seems like a bit of a unique club here and it's a bit daunting when you see how people talk to each other like they seem well acquainted and you've only just arrived. I mean don't get me wrong it's great that people here get along but like I say a bit daunting.

When I joined this was my biggest problem with getting into the forums. When I started reading them it seemed like there was about 10 or so users that were very tight knit, and as I started posting slowly I was just looking for approval from a couple of you before I started really getting involved more. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that there's a small number that's so close (it's actually quite nice now), but that coupled with how much you guys seem to know just made me a bit timid at first to voice my opinions.

And to drag in another thread that's been hot lately, my chart has quite a bit of more mainstream stuff (Foo Fighters in the top 10 Shocked), and it seemed like that was a little abnormal too, so I was wondering if I'd get less respect for that.

Of course now I see that those thoughts were silly and the vast majority of you guys are extremely nice, and there is absolutely nowhere I would have more fun discussing and discovering new music, so for that I thank you all and thank this site. I'm certainly not going anywhere else.

Think

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
gtroda

• Posted: 02/05/2012 13:30
  • Post subject:
Personally, I find it much more annoying to read through a bunch of long winded posts trying to tell other people what they can and can not post than it is to read some of the duplicate threads mentioned. As long as everyone is decent and respectful towards each other, what does it hurt if there's some duplication once and a while? It's not like there are 500 threads a day to sort through or something. And it's not that hard to ignore a thread if you want to.
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2012 15:55
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
pearljammer13 wrote:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Thirdly it seems like a bit of a unique club here and it's a bit daunting when you see how people talk to each other like they seem well acquainted and you've only just arrived. I mean don't get me wrong it's great that people here get along but like I say a bit daunting.

When I joined this was my biggest problem with getting into the forums. When I started reading them it seemed like there was about 10 or so users that were very tight knit, and as I started posting slowly I was just looking for approval from a couple of you before I started really getting involved more. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that there's a small number that's so close (it's actually quite nice now), but that coupled with how much you guys seem to know just made me a bit timid at first to voice my opinions.

And to drag in another thread that's been hot lately, my chart has quite a bit of more mainstream stuff (Foo Fighters in the top 10 Shocked), and it seemed like that was a little abnormal too, so I was wondering if I'd get less respect for that.

Of course now I see that those thoughts were silly and the vast majority of you guys are extremely nice, and there is absolutely nowhere I would have more fun discussing and discovering new music, so for that I thank you all and thank this site. I'm certainly not going anywhere else.

Think

Applause Another reason to love GARY! I'm so nervous/excited right now I don't even know what to do with myself. If the Pats lose tonight I might crawl into a dark hole for a few weeks. If they win I'll be running up and down my street for a few hours pumping my fists and waking up anyone who may have fallen asleep.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/05/2012 22:12
  • Post subject: Re: a plea to everyone
This is absurd. Some of your examples are legitimate, but it's just stupid to tell users that they shouldn't make a thread if there has literally EVER been a thread with a similar topic. I made my "Is an album's influence overrated thread?" because, since I've been here, I haven't seen a single thread like that. And I'm not going to go dig one up from a year ago just so I can minimize the thread count, mainly because any other thread dealing with the same topic would probably address it in a much different light and posting at the end of an ancient post would likely cause my points to be buried in a sea of other comments. If the thread you intend to make is fairly similar to one that is currently popular on the boards, then no, the new thread shouldn't be made, but the majority of your examples are ridiculous.
purple

• Posted: 02/05/2012 23:06
  • Post subject:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...php?t=3208

http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...mp;start=0

same user, functionally the same topic. anyone else beginning to see the absurdity yet?
Wombi

• Posted: 02/06/2012 00:19
  • Post subject:
one would be filed under 'tracks' (admittedly it could have been named more specifically but w/e) and one would be filed under 'albums'. Unless you want to have whole genres stick to 1 thread?

• Posted: 02/06/2012 00:31
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3208

http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...mp;start=0

same user, functionally the same topic. anyone else beginning to see the absurdity yet?

They're also almost a full year apart. The second thread is no longer cluttering up any section of the forum that anyone will see, and no current user would ever just stumble upon it in a million years, so I don't think it's absurd at all that Chemical Smile would make a new thread if he wanted to continue talking about it.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2012 01:50
  • Post subject:
I see it but what can you do to herd cats?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2012 02:05
  • Post subject:
[quote="pearljammer13"]
HigherThanTheSun wrote:

When I joined this was my biggest problem with getting into the forums. When I started reading them it seemed like there was about 10 or so users that were very tight knit...

A lot of members on here haven't actually been here that long (I'd say maybe a year for some), so if you post here a lot, make a chart, comment on people's charts etc, you can become a major part of the community very quickly. As a resident veteran, I've seen it happen time and again. Old users go or spend less time here and new people come in. Again, welcome to both of you! Cool
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/06/2012 10:16
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:

When I joined this was my biggest problem with getting into the forums. When I started reading them it seemed like there was about 10 or so users that were very tight knit...

I know, right? It IS a big problem.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website