• Post subject:
Yeah you are right Shankly - sorry Embarassed
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2012 07:23
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
Yeah you are right Shankly - sorry Embarassed

I was directing this mostly at Purple. It seems like such a silly thing to get all up in arms about.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/07/2012 08:43
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
I just tried out the search function for the forums, and maybe I'm not adept at using it (that's quite possible), or maybe it's fairly useless in terms of efficiently finding similar threads? If it's the latter, how about we cut the new members a wee bit of slack?

I think you're right about the search. It's just third-party forum software. It could probably be modified, or I could swap it out for Google site search.

I could also add something to show similar posts when somebody posts a new topic. They can then choose to continue posting their topic (if there isn't anything similar), or they could add their post to an existing topic depending on whether existing matches are found. Not sure why it's such an issue either tbh, and I certainly don't mind a great deal.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/07/2012 14:08
  • Post subject:
Yeah the search function is pretty crap, no offense. You type in something quite specific (I typed in 'worst debuts' the other day) and you get over 200 results, you want me to search through all of those before I can carry on?

It's easy to bitch about this when you can see the 'similar topics' at the bottom of each thread but that doesn't exist when you're creating one so it's hard to know if it's been covered before (without searching through 200 threads).

Which is why this is a great idea:
albummaster wrote:
I could also add something to show similar posts when somebody posts a new topic. They can then choose to continue posting their topic (if there isn't anything similar), or they could add their post to an existing topic depending on whether existing matches are found. Not sure why it's such an issue either tbh, and I certainly don't mind a great deal.

Not that I much care about duplicate threads but if it is a big issue for some then this might help stop it.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/07/2012 14:53
  • Post subject:
No offence taken, and I agree with your points.

(But a little tip with the search: If you check 'search for all terms', your 'worst debuts' search returns 18 matches - which is much better.)
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/07/2012 15:02
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
No offence taken, and I agree with your points.

(But a little tip with the search: If you check 'search for all terms', your 'worst debuts' search returns 18 matches - which is much better.)

Oh, was sure I'd tried that... sorry.

No wait, I wasn't typing in 'worst debuts', I typed 'worst debut' without the s, which still returns 230 results even when I check 'search for all terms'.
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2012 23:50
  • Post subject:
We get a lot of new people in here. New people = new ideas.

Does it really hurt anyone if a new member posts about a subject that was discussed many moons ago?

I teach history. I would really hate to tell one of my students that a point he raised had already been discussed at length by my last semester's class and that he should have checked with the members of that class before asking it in the new class.

We deal with opinions here...those change...even opinions voiced by the same person. It's nice to look back on past threads...but, I certainly wouldn't consider past opinions closure.

As long as anyone greets a new member with a "we already discussed that," the whole place will soon be "thread-bare."
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2012 01:05
  • Post subject:
I am also fairly new to the site, and have varying opinions about this. I was told a time or two: hey this thread again!!! I even was given a link to the other one, but didn't get what they were trying to say until later.

1) looking up an old post and reading through it, usually ends my need to post anything- questions or comments. Maybe that is a good thing, and maybe it would be interesting if at a new time and place the same question came up, but under a slightly different light - and maybe even people have changed over that time, and therefore have a different opinion. Looking up old posts can be fun, but at the same time it robs us of urgency. I really liked the post about do I put down the artists I like, or do I put down the cannon artists - or at least I can agree it is a great album, but maybe not a personal fav. There is a post that is pages long that answered all of those questions and then I decided on my own way- my Best of list is my personal choice and my decade charts are a combination of favs and obvious greats.

2) I have been guilty of starting posts that I thought were clever, but in the end were quite stupid. I may have also posted duplicates because I didn't know there was a search feature.

I know I didn't feel terribly welcomed with some of my posts, but at the same time, I am ok with people not understanding me or thinking the way I do, or they just think I am plain stupid. Like my best bands of the 2000s and how indie music has made being great not so great. That didn't turn out very good. Or my list of active artists that are listed as top 100 artists. I thought that would have been interesting to discuss...flop.

But I do really like talking about music and agree that organization is important. Maybe there could be a form kinda thing to help with posts- like a drop down for catagories, bands, vs questions, discussions on a specific album - and then other for all of the random ones. That'd eliminate the million streams about the Beatles - and might be fun to browse topics (like everything about the BAND: The Beatles - or if I wanted to know nothing about the band, I would seach/click on ALBUMS by the beatles, etc. That sounds like a lot of work though... wonder if purple would be up to it? Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Moved: 02/10/2012 08:04 by albummaster
From Music to Suggestions