Classical Recordings

View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 02/18/2012 10:15
  • Post subject: Classical Recordings
A bit of an interesting one and opening up to all to comment.

Some people have added classical compositions to the database and to me, that seems perfectly reasonable. However the credit of the release needs to go to someone. Who?

1) The composer - okay, Beethoven and Debussy have been gone for a while, but should they be given the credit.
2) The conductor - he (or she) controls the show so the arrangement and kudos should go to them.
3) The orchestra - be it the London Philharmonic or Trevor's half orchestra from Wagga Wagga, as a group they are reasonable for the performance.

The other issue is, in fact, the issue. The users who have added a classical composition need to either edit it themselves or give some indication in the title/artist when creating the entry.

Any thoughts on this matter?

P.S.: I was bored and tried to find sethmadsen's Shostakovich release but wanted to vent instead.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/18/2012 10:32
  • Post subject:
The way things are, at the moment, the musician or performer get the credit for the whole album and the composer can be credited within the title e.g. Beethoven's fifth symphony by Some Orchestra. The same would be true if somebody did an album of Beatles covers (the performing artist would get the credit there as well).

It's also possible some tracks might be by one composer and other tracks by another. It would be a bit messy to list all the composers within the artist field for the album, when they really belong to the individual tracks.

It's interesting, but this is an album site and we don't hold the composer as a separate attribute, so for me it's number 3.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 02/18/2012 12:25
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
The way things are, at the moment, the musician or performer get the credit for the whole album and the composer can be credited within the title e.g. Beethoven's fifth symphony by Some Orchestra. The same would be true if somebody did an album of Beatles covers (the performing artist would get the credit there as well).

It's also possible some tracks might be by one composer and other tracks by another. It would be a bit messy to list all the composers within the artist field for the album, when they really belong to the individual tracks.

It's interesting, but this is an album site and we don't hold the composer as a separate attribute, so for me it's number 3.

Agreed.
Off-topic: love the recent site update
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 02/18/2012 12:29
  • Post subject:
Xavygravy wrote:
albummaster wrote:

Agreed.
Off-topic: love the recent site update

Fair enough.

Again off-topic: how do I rename my rank?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/18/2012 14:12
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:

There should be an option on your profile page. Let me know if this is not the case, and I'll investigate.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2012 14:55
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
harkan wrote:

There should be an option on your profile page. Let me know if this is not the case, and I'll investigate.

I can't speak for harkan, but I don't see anything.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/18/2012 15:40
  • Post subject:
woops, now fixed Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website