Albums which had improved when you heard them later in life.

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: The big question
The album "improved" and got "better"
14%
 14%  [2]
The person "improved" and got "better"
85%
 85%  [12]
Total Votes : 14

Kiki

• Posted: 02/19/2012 21:57
  • Post subject: Albums which had improved when you heard them later in life.
Many people have lists or a good idea of how they will reply to that title. They will say the album had got better the next time they heard it or it had improved some way. Lots of emphasis on the words 'improved' and 'better' there.

But maybe... maybe it was the person who "improved" and got "better" Wink

Think about it...

The album/song/piece of music hasn't changed since the last time they listened to it. They must have changed and not the music itself. Shocked

Familiarity vs a persons expanding horizons? Or are they both connected? Go for it.

• Posted: 02/20/2012 00:16
  • Post subject:
I don't think the person necessarily improves, but the quality of an album tends to be more based on my own mood or personal life at the moment. Familiarity with an album is just as likely to make it boring for me as it is to make it interesting.
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2012 00:44
  • Post subject:
For very close to all people familiarity with an item strengthens reactions to the item. If the item is a piece of complete and utter junk sour feelings toward the item tend to grow stronger with higher exposure. If the item is of some quality the appearance of those qualities tend to be seen as more favorable with the same higher exposure.

For your question there then, a quality album will most likely grow in stature with more time and exposure.

Personally, my #1 album Live at Fillmore East by The Allman Brothers was nowhere near a favorite the first ten times I heard it. That I hold it in so high regard now is obviously not because the album somehow changed (even though it was remastered, but that's probably not the reason).
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/20/2012 05:18
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
For very close to all people familiarity with an item strengthens reactions to the item. If the item is a piece of complete and utter junk sour feelings toward the item tend to grow stronger with higher exposure. If the item is of some quality the appearance of those qualities tend to be seen as more favorable with the same higher exposure.

This is true for the most part, but for me even really quality music can get dull if I listen to it enough. Of course, the albums that I have at the top of my chart are there specifically because they don't get dull no matter how often I listen to them, but nevertheless extensive exposure can have a wide array of effects, at least for me.
Kiki

• Posted: 02/20/2012 22:00
  • Post subject:
2,000th post Shocked Very Happy

Well listening to an album 10 times is a lot of commitment. Makes me think my own favorites could change a lot in the future. I suppose they will actually.

Although, there are lots of albums that repeated listens are dampaning the effect of. I feel that way with the Dead Kennedys right now. I don't listen to them a lot no more.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2012 23:44
  • Post subject:
It's difficult to say the album got better - reader response theory suggests that literature doesn't exist until it is read- I think music could be looked at the same way. The "text" of music never changes, it is the interpretation.

U2's Boy I thought was a joke when I first heard it. I grew up on the Joshua Tree and Boy was so unpolished and didn't have that catch that the Joshua Tree album has. But... then I realized Boy is quite a Gem. Hate that it is associated with Peds- but I guess they did it to themselves, they did.
  • Visit poster's website
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 02/21/2012 11:12
  • Post subject:
Having just listened to Nevermind in it's entirety for the first time in 15 years or so, I actually enjoyed it more than i ever have. I think part of the reason was watching a documentary on it yesterday made me appreciate it more knowing about the work that went on behind the scenes:

Link