With The Beatles, Meet The Beatles

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 03/06/2012 10:15
  • Post subject: With The Beatles, Meet The Beatles
Hi

I guess that both albums' points should collected as one. and so on for similar stuff.

Last edited by Jabapac on 03/06/2012 12:13; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/06/2012 10:43
  • Post subject:
I think these are treated as distinct rather than the same release because they have a different track listing, different title and were released separately (With The Beatles is the earlier release). AllMusic list these albums separately as do other websites. I'm not saying they are right, just pointing it out. It's one of those where you could argue either way, but I think having both albums here is the right thing to do.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/06/2012 11:26
  • Post subject:
Plus, what would we do with the Rolling Stone chart if Meet The Beatles was deleted from the site? Add in With The Beatles in its place? Oh, and on an earlier version of the list, With... and Meet... were both included as separate albums. So I think albummaster is right. They ARE separate albums.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 03/06/2012 12:25
  • Post subject:
Fine, but in that case With The Beatles probebly have less points than what it really deserves.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2012 13:55
  • Post subject:
The mistakes that were made in the original Beatles releases were corrected when the albums came out on CD. They eliminated (and rightfully so) the American versions of the existing albums and got rid of the American only albums altogether. I think what they did with the catalog makes perfect sense. All of the songs are available on albums, and the songs that weren't intended for albums are there on the Past Masters series.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/07/2012 10:01
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
The mistakes that were made in the original Beatles releases were corrected when the albums came out on CD. They eliminated (and rightfully so) the American versions of the existing albums and got rid of the American only albums altogether. I think what they did with the catalog makes perfect sense. All of the songs are available on albums, and the songs that weren't intended for albums are there on the Past Masters series.

MMT wasn't an original British release (which is one of the reasons why I consider its actual place in the Beatles studio albums core catalog as just about as suspicious as Yellow Submarine's), so not ALL American-only albums got eliminated really. But you have one point: most of the American releases have become of relatively minor importance in the catalog. But I don't think this is the case with Meet The Beatles!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2013 02:27
  • Post subject:
Jabapac wrote:
Fine, but in that case With The Beatles probebly have less points than what it really deserves.

Since the late 1980's, 'With' has been the only version available. 'Meet' will surely become a fading memory. The only way to listen to it is to look up the track listing, then listen to the tracks from 'With', 'Past Masters One' and 'Please Please Me' in the 'Meet' order. Being used to the 'With' order (it was the early 90's) I did that once, There was no startling revelation, like man, this is an awesome order of Beatles songs. So I stopped my journey through the American catalog, as too much work.

So, if either should lose points, it should be 'Meet'. I'd like to hear from someone who is familiar with both versions.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website