"Can we forget about the things I said when I was drunk? I didn't mean to call you that"

- Lit

Definition of a 'Recognised Chart'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

#1 | Posted: 12/13/2005 11:21 | Post subject: Definition of a 'Recognised Chart' Reply with quote
Many of the pages on this site refer to what is termed a 'recognised chart' so I thought it worth posting a definition,

A chart is classified as 'recognised' on this site if it meets the following criteria:

1. The chart is from a well-regarded or widely-recognised source.
2. The chart is not limited to a particular time period. To qualify as a greatest album chart, end of year polls do not count and nor do polls that limit themselves to the last x number of years. However, if a chart is for a particular year or decade, it may qualify as a year or decade chart instead (so long as the chart covers the whole of the respective time period).
3. The chart is not limited to a particular music genre.
4. The chart is not limited to bands from a particular country or region.
5. The albums are ranked in order of greatness.

The best album of the moment is ever changing, the albums on this site stand the test of time.

It's worth saying that there are quite a few albums listed on this site from 2000 onwards but it obviously takes time for an album to feed through to a critic's list, After all, new albums are competing with what has gone before for those elusive places in the best ever rankings.

The best albums in the world ever, this is what this website is about.

EDIT: Criteria number five has been added as a few lists have been submitted that are not ranked (e.g. Time Magazine's list which does not qualify).
EDIT 2: Now that BEA supports year and decade charts, criteria number two has been modified.

Last edited by albummaster on 01/17/2018 13:31; edited 6 times in total
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Vegas

#2 | Posted: 08/11/2006 13:12 | Post subject: Definition of Charts Reply with quote
Fair enough,

Good criteria for charts, but let's take it a step futher - albums should be dropped if they are compilations, soundtracks, feature covers, or feature primarily songs not written by the Artist performing them.

Also, I'm not sure, but do you have a chart on your site that consolidates the information from the 8 recognised charts and produces a definitive Top 100? Couldn't find one.

Great website, keep up the good work.

Vegas

albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

#3 | Posted: 08/11/2006 17:47 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Vegas, yes there is functionality on the site that consolidates the information - it's called 'Make Chart' on the navigation menu. What this functionality allows you to do is pick the charts that you want to use to compile your aggregated chart and the minimum number of these charts that an album has to appear in to qualify for this consolidated chart. You can also filter out albums older than a certain year if you don't want to see some of the older albums in your consolidated chart.

Regarding eligibility criteria for albums, I wouldn't personally select a 'various artists' album for my own chart but if NME (or whoever else) decide that one of their best albums is a compilation I don't feel qualified to censor or filter out their selection and I guess soundtracks might come under this banner too (some of which may or may not be deemed worthy by all other criteria e.g. Grease, Saturday Night Fever etc.)

I think the main qualifactiion for an album is that *you* feel it's worthy regardless of who the composer is, how many covers it has etc. This also goes for charts submitted by members - I don't feel that albums should be moderated or disallowed if somebody decides that they want it to appear.

californication

#4 | Posted: 01/27/2008 06:06 | Post subject: Reply with quote
I found a top 100 chart (can't post link, type "blastitude top 100 albums" on Google, and click on the first link), would it count as a recognized chart?

albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

#5 | Posted: 01/27/2008 17:13 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi californication, thanks for letting us know about that one, it looks a good list. Reading the the introductory text, he says that he's imposed a ten-year rule—nothing on the list was recorded after 1992 which breaks one of the rules on this site that all albums are included up until the date that the chart was published. This is so that there's no age bias when comparing different charts (older albums would have an unfair advantage.) I'm happy to give a link to it here as it looks a good list - Joe S. Harrington All-Time Top 100 Albums and again, thanks for letting us know.

albummaster

JohnnyRocketFingers

#6 | Posted: 09/16/2008 20:17 | Post subject: Reply with quote
vegas, u have some good points. i agree with your compilation idea with the exception of a few compilation albums. but albums with cover songs on them in a list should not eliminate the possibility of it being recognised chart. albums such as london calling, clash debut, setting sons, meet the beatles, los angeles, raising hell, fresh fruite for rotting vegtables, electric ladyland, and many more classic albums would be out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F10tP5HIpaA

TrippyT

#7 | Posted: 01/31/2009 23:12 | Post subject: Reply with quote
How do I add a soundtrack to my chart?

albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

#8 | Posted: 02/01/2009 18:44 | Post subject: Reply with quote
if it's a 'various artists' album and is not already on the site, click the orange option at the bottom to add it to the site.

ctsimcox

#9 | Posted: 05/11/2009 20:33 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Will the rule regarding greatest albums of a certain period of time ever change, because some of the best charts are for certain periods of time. For example my favorite music chart's are Pitchfork.com's 100 greatest albums for each decade. I agree with all the other rules but that one needs to be re-thought by excluding charts that deal with certain periods of time you are missing out on some great charts.

#10 | Posted: 05/12/2009 01:23 | Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been thinking about the very same charts as "ctsimcox" and agree.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
   Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Suggestions

Jump to: