Definition of a 'Recognised Chart'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/12/2009 10:31
  • Post subject:
I understand the reasons why you might want these, but personally I think it would open the floodgates to any type of chart being added to the site and then this site will just become a clone of other sites that are out there.

We have to have some criteria, as otherwise where do you stop? We could have lists by genre, by year/decade, Grammy award winners, Billboard top-ranked etc etc and from all types of valid sources but the more types of chart that we introduce, the more difficult it is to make comparisons between them and therefore to aggregate them in a fair way (which was the original purpose of the site). At the moment, personally I think the balance is about right as the selection criteria of the charts helps to maintain the core theme of the site.

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
GlennJolson

• Posted: 07/04/2009 12:56
  • Post subject:
I propose to include The All Time Top 3000 Albums from Acclaimed Music as a recognised chart to Best Ever Albums. The chart meets the criteria stated in the definition of a 'recognised chart'.

The chart receives regular updates, lately each year, the list exists since 06-09-2001, the current version dates 30-11-2008, for the update history.

Due to regular updates the chart lists about the same amount of albums for each year, right now until 2007, 2008 is in development Here and the definitive list will enter the overall top 3000 chart by end of the year. The All Time Top 3000 exists also as an Excel file with the changes from the last three years.

You can ask to include the Best Ever Albums list into their list at the bottom of the page Here, (henrik.franzon[a]gmail.com).

Disclaimer: I am not a registered member of Acclaimed Music, nor do I have any relation be it financial or personal to any of the owners or people that run the site.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2009 13:49
  • Post subject:
Acclaimed Music chart is a good composite chart similar to BestEverAlbums. It however does not include member/subscriber lists/charts (there is no such thing on Acclaimed Music) and uses a different algorithm for ranking.

Administrator Henrik Franzon, a statistician, includes on Acclaimed Music almost all best-of-year lists and best-of-all-times lists from critics, artists and music industry people all over the world. Personal critics’ lists are omitted with the exception of lists published in books and special essays in magazines, like Elvis Costello's in Vanity Fair. Genre-specific best-of-lists are only included if they are from a magazine specialized in this genre. Readers’ lists of all kinds are omitted. All compilation "greatest hits" and "best of" albums are excluded.

While Acclaimed Music’s chart is from a well-regarded or widely-recognized source, it includes data from:
1. Charts limited to a particular time period,
2. Charts limited to a particular music genre,
3. Charts limited to bands from a particular country or region.

Therefore I don’t think its rankings should be included as a recognized chart on this site.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
GlennJolson

• Posted: 07/04/2009 19:04
  • Post subject:
The Acclaimed Music chart fits because it is a good composite chart similar to Best Ever Albums. As other recognised charts, it does not include member/subscriber lists/charts (there is no such thing on Rolling Stone magazine's RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time or on the National Association of Recording Merchandisers' Definitive 200) and not all the recognised charts use the same algorithm for ranking.

Because Administrator Henrik Franzon, a statistician, includes on Acclaimed Music almost all best of year lists and best-of-all-times lists from critics, artists and music industry people from all over the world it is a good representative list, which fits to include into Best Ever Albums. A good thing that they omit Personal critics’ lists with the exception of lists published in books and special essays in magazines, like Elvis Costello's in Vanity Fair. Another plus is that genre-specific best of lists are only included if they are from a magazine specialized in this genre. As in other recognised charts listed here, they omit Readers’ lists of all kinds. I support that they exclude all compilation "greatest hits" and "best of" albums because how often do we want to rate the same number 1 hit song in these "greatest hits" and "best of" albums.

Acclaimed Music’s chart is from a well-regarded and widely recognized source and that it might include data from
1. Charts limited to a particular period,
3. Charts limited to bands from a particular country or region has very little influence on the overall outcome because of the huge amount of information used.

Therefore, I do think that its rankings should be included as a recognized chart on this site.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2009 19:32
  • Post subject:
GlennJolson wrote:
Acclaimed Music’s chart is from a well-regarded and widely recognized source and that it might include data from
1. Charts limited to a particular period,
3. Charts limited to bands from a particular country or region has very little influence on the overall outcome because of the huge amount of information used.

I am glad you agree with my analysis of Acclaimed Music but that unfortunately puts it at odds with the definition of a recognized chart used by the moderator and site administrator of BestEverAlbums:

albummaster wrote:
A chart is classified as 'recognised' on this site if it meets the following criteria:

1. The chart is from a well-regarded or widely-recognised source.
2. The chart is not limited to a particular time period (end of year polls do not count and nor do polls that limit themselves to the last x number of years.)
3. The chart is not limited to a particular music genre.
4. The chart is not limited to bands from a particular country or region.

So I repeat, BestEverAlbums should not include the rankings of Acclaimed Music since it fails on 3 of 4 elements of a recognized chart.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
GlennJolson

• Posted: 07/04/2009 19:44
  • Post subject:
There is no rule without an exception. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2009 19:56
  • Post subject:
Under exceptional circumstances! Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/04/2009 20:35
  • Post subject:
I fully respect acclaimedmusic.net as a site, I think they do a great job and I like their list.

However, since they are themselves an aggregator of third-party lists (and therefore not an original publisher), I don't think we should add them as a separate source. In addition, I agree with RFNAPLES that the chart criteria are not aligned with those set down on this site.
  • Visit poster's website
brohio

• Posted: 09/20/2009 16:29
  • Post subject: Jimi in 23rd place?
Just signed up here cause I know music. Jimi in 23rd place? Hey what the?? I'm not sure how much time I'll spend in here teaching all of you about music but for the time being here I am. What do you want to know? And don't start confusing the issue by including rap and hip hop artists in this list either. Give them a seperate category where poetry counts since actual musicality almost never exists. With a few exceptions. Let the games begin.
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 09/20/2009 17:02
  • Post subject: Re: Jimi in 23rd place?
brohio wrote:
Just signed up here cause I know music. Jimi in 23rd place? Hey what the?? I'm not sure how much time I'll spend in here teaching all of you about music but for the time being here I am. What do you want to know? And don't start confusing the issue by including rap and hip hop artists in this list either. Give them a seperate category where poetry counts since actual musicality almost never exists. With a few exceptions. Let the games begin.

Eh?
  • Visit poster's website