Definition of a 'Recognised Chart'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/13/2005 11:21
  • Post subject: Definition of a 'Recognised Chart'
Many of the pages on this site refer to what is termed a 'recognised chart' so I thought it worth posting a definition,

A chart is classified as 'recognised' on this site if it meets the following criteria:

1. The chart is from a well-regarded or widely-recognised source.
2. The chart is not limited to a particular time period. To qualify as a greatest album chart, end of year polls do not count and nor do polls that limit themselves to the last x number of years. However, if a chart is for a particular year or decade, it may qualify as a year or decade chart instead (so long as the chart covers the whole of the respective time period).
3. The chart is not limited to a particular music genre.
4. The chart is not limited to bands from a particular country or region.
5. The albums are ranked in order of greatness.

The best album of the moment is ever changing, the albums on this site stand the test of time.

It's worth saying that there are quite a few albums listed on this site from 2000 onwards but it obviously takes time for an album to feed through to a critic's list, After all, new albums are competing with what has gone before for those elusive places in the best ever rankings.

The best albums in the world ever, this is what this website is about.

EDIT: Criteria number five has been added as a few lists have been submitted that are not ranked (e.g. Time Magazine's list which does not qualify).

EDIT 2: Now that BEA supports year and decade charts, criteria number two has been modified.

EDIT 3: If you spot a recognised chart that is not listed on BEA and otherwise qualifies for the site (per the above criteria), you can add the chart to BEA via a custom chart.

=============================

Identifying 'missing' charts

If you visit the admin page for any recognised chart, a list of other charts by the same source will be listed. Gaps will be highlighted where year or decade charts may be 'missing' from BEA. Alongside each 'missing' chart, is a Google search link which will quickly allow you to identify whether a chart exists for that time period from a particular source. If you find a 'missing' chart that can be added, you can add it as a custom chart (see below).

If a chart cannot be located from a source for a particular year or decade (e.g. if a published chart doesn't qualify due to it being unranked etc), please post a data correction, along with the reason, and an entry can be added to prevent the system nagging for the data.

N.B. year charts are most often compiled at the end of a given year, or at the start of the next. Decade charts are mostly compiled at the end of a decade, or at the start of a new one. (However, this is just a rule of thumb, and charts do not always follow these rules).

It would be a fool's errand for the site to try and add all charts from all sources. If an external source doesn't exist on BEA, please make sure it is 'notable' before adding a chart from them e.g. is the source on Wikipedia? how big is their audience? would the average person know about them? etc. If in doubt, please don't add.

Adding a recognised chart:

Please add the chart to the site as a 'custom chart':

Title:
The title of the chart should be entered as per the title on the source website. It's not a problem to have non-English chart titles and makes adding external charts a less ambiguous process if we just copy the original title. For foreign language chart titles, an English language translation can be implied by the chart type which is normally displayed alongside each chart (e.g. 2017 year chart).

Notes:
The notes of a chart can be used to add additional information. Sometimes an album may be too short for BEA, or otherwise doesn't qualify (e.g. if the album only exists as a playlist etc). These omissions should be explained in the notes. Additionally, if any ranks are tied in the chart, this should be stated in the notes.

URL:
BEA always tries to provide a URL back to the original source (if one exists). The URL should point back at the page hosting the top ranked album in the external chart.

=============================

All ranks within recognised charts are awarded five points (e.g. adding a top 100 chart will be worth 500 points to the person that added it). BEA gets checked every day for new charts, so if a custom chart has been added, it will get picked up and promoted automatically. Once a chart has been promoted, it will appear as if from the recognised source, and can no longer be edited. If we have somehow not spotted your chart within a couple of days of adding it, please flag it for promotion from the chart's admin page.

N.B. Charts from new sources will take longer to promote than a chart from an existing source, as the new source needs to be vetted etc before the chart can be promoted. If you are wanting to contribute, the best way to do this is to help backfill charts from existing sources rather than add charts from new sources. (If a source isn't listed here already, it might suggest it isn't notable enough).

Last edited by albummaster on 03/11/2023 09:42; edited 13 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Vegas

• Posted: 08/11/2006 13:12
  • Post subject: Definition of Charts
Fair enough,

Good criteria for charts, but let's take it a step futher - albums should be dropped if they are compilations, soundtracks, feature covers, or feature primarily songs not written by the Artist performing them.

Also, I'm not sure, but do you have a chart on your site that consolidates the information from the 8 recognised charts and produces a definitive Top 100? Couldn't find one.

Great website, keep up the good work.

Vegas
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/11/2006 17:47
  • Post subject:
Vegas, yes there is functionality on the site that consolidates the information - it's called 'Make Chart' on the navigation menu. What this functionality allows you to do is pick the charts that you want to use to compile your aggregated chart and the minimum number of these charts that an album has to appear in to qualify for this consolidated chart. You can also filter out albums older than a certain year if you don't want to see some of the older albums in your consolidated chart.

Regarding eligibility criteria for albums, I wouldn't personally select a 'various artists' album for my own chart but if NME (or whoever else) decide that one of their best albums is a compilation I don't feel qualified to censor or filter out their selection and I guess soundtracks might come under this banner too (some of which may or may not be deemed worthy by all other criteria e.g. Grease, Saturday Night Fever etc.)

I think the main qualifactiion for an album is that *you* feel it's worthy regardless of who the composer is, how many covers it has etc. This also goes for charts submitted by members - I don't feel that albums should be moderated or disallowed if somebody decides that they want it to appear.
  • Visit poster's website
californication

• Posted: 01/27/2008 06:06
  • Post subject:
I found a top 100 chart (can't post link, type "blastitude top 100 albums" on Google, and click on the first link), would it count as a recognized chart?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/27/2008 17:13
  • Post subject:
Hi californication, thanks for letting us know about that one, it looks a good list. Reading the the introductory text, he says that he's imposed a ten-year rule—nothing on the list was recorded after 1992 which breaks one of the rules on this site that all albums are included up until the date that the chart was published. This is so that there's no age bias when comparing different charts (older albums would have an unfair advantage.) I'm happy to give a link to it here as it looks a good list - Joe S. Harrington All-Time Top 100 Albums and again, thanks for letting us know.

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
JohnnyRocketFingers

• Posted: 09/16/2008 20:17
  • Post subject:
vegas, u have some good points. i agree with your compilation idea with the exception of a few compilation albums. but albums with cover songs on them in a list should not eliminate the possibility of it being recognised chart. albums such as london calling, clash debut, setting sons, meet the beatles, los angeles, raising hell, fresh fruite for rotting vegtables, electric ladyland, and many more classic albums would be out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F10tP5HIpaA
  • Visit poster's website
TrippyT

• Posted: 01/31/2009 23:12
  • Post subject:
How do I add a soundtrack to my chart?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/01/2009 18:44
  • Post subject:
if it's a 'various artists' album and is not already on the site, click the orange option at the bottom to add it to the site.
  • Visit poster's website
ctsimcox

• Posted: 05/11/2009 20:33
  • Post subject:
Will the rule regarding greatest albums of a certain period of time ever change, because some of the best charts are for certain periods of time. For example my favorite music chart's are Pitchfork.com's 100 greatest albums for each decade. I agree with all the other rules but that one needs to be re-thought by excluding charts that deal with certain periods of time you are missing out on some great charts.

• Posted: 05/12/2009 01:23
  • Post subject:
I have been thinking about the very same charts as "ctsimcox" and agree.
  • Visit poster's website