Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2012 12:47
  • Post subject:
DarkSideOfTheComputer wrote:
I'd like people to give me reasons as to why this album changed the face of music.

I'll admit it; it's not really "innovative" per se. But it's success story is the reason for all these other great alternative bands of the early nineties. And the fact that we were saved from crap like Warrant Razz

To be honest, their "influence" is often a bit overstated, but the album itself is so extraordinary that you shouldn't even worry about that.
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2012 13:12
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I'll admit it; it's not really "innovative" per se. But it's success story is the reason for all these other great alternative bands of the early nineties. And the fact that we were saved from crap like Warrant Razz

To be honest, their "influence" is often a bit overstated, but the album itself is so extraordinary that you shouldn't even worry about that.

Well said. It's not necessarily the quality of the music, it's what the album did for music. It was the beginning of the grunge explosion, a movement that killed hair metal and gave birth to all the great 90's alternative music. It's popularity was off the charts, and grunge became a pop culture phenomenon beyond even the music. It was the single most important album (even though I much prefer Ten) in the last great movement of popular music.
  • Visit poster's website
Cafu86

Denmark

• Posted: 04/24/2012 13:45
  • Post subject:
The melodies on this record is fanatstic, I never get tired of them.

• Posted: 04/25/2012 20:41
  • Post subject:
kidamnesiac wrote:
it isn't really surprising at all, this album transcends those lines. i don't know how old you are but i was 16 when it came out.

like a bunch of people who were of age on here are saying, it changed the world.

that is why it is so high on charts like rolling stone and these objective charts on this site.

I was still 2 years from being born when Nevermind came out, so I admit I don't have the perspective that older music aficionados do. Nevertheless, just because an album or song changes the world does not mean that Rolling Stone magazine acknowledges it. For example, if I'm not mistaken, when OK Computer first came out Rolling Stone referred to Radiohead as something of a shitty U2, yet Radiohead's impact has been just as great if not greater than U2's since then. For that reason, it is a little surprising that they still placed Smells like Teen Spirit at #9.

I see your point, though, and I totally agree with you. That song transcends its genre.
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 04/25/2012 20:58
  • Post subject:
well at first nobody knew how good radiohead was going to be but that is a long story, rolling stone won't ever put a radiohead album ahead of nevermind or nearly that high because most of america doesn't know who radiohead is and a lot of people think they suck.

everyone knows who nirvana is

but you are almost right, it is a small surprise it is so high
  • Visit poster's website