Ys vs. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album do you believe is better?
Ys
42%
 42%  [12]
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
57%
 57%  [16]
Total Votes : 28

• Posted: 04/23/2012 01:03
  • Post subject: Ys vs. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
These albums seem pretty similar to me yet have very little to do with each other at the same time. I think the poll could turn out one sided but I'm still curious. If you've heard both albums, please vote and state the reason for your choice. Smile

VS
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 04/23/2012 02:26
  • Post subject:
Both are strong albums, I personally prefer Ys.

If I had to argue I'd use these points
-Ys is probably more sophisticated and interesting in terms of songwriting: it has structurally complex multi part songs, key changes, lots of chords, lots of melodic ideas packed into one song, not to mention everything going on with the orchestration. Ys also uses other interesting compositional techniques like the poly-rythmic harp playing on Sawdust and Diamonds. NMH write mostly songs with basic chord progressions and more easily relatable to conventional song structure, it relies almost solely on the vocal performance and arrangements for its creativity.
-That being said I think the arrangements on Ys provide more interesting juxtapositions, pitting the folky flavours of Newsom's voice and some instruments (banjo, accordion) against the classical and nostalgic string arrangements. Not to say the acoustic pop mixed with marching band and lo-fi fuzz on NMH isn't also cool.
-Not as important but I think sometimes NMH relies too much on the unexpected/surprising lyrics to create emotional effect.

Still, both good albums.
Wombi

• Posted: 04/23/2012 02:37
  • Post subject:
Looking now, it's a wonder that Ys' album art wasn't nominated for that tourny. And I'm voting for Ys, as I likes it more.
purple

• Posted: 04/23/2012 03:04
  • Post subject:
Ys has better musicianship, the best songwriting I've ever heard, and is one of the most emotive albums you could listen to. Both are great albums though. I think it's funny that these two albums are compared to each other by some *cough Hayden* because I find them in no way similar except that they're both about love and they both have strong Appalachian motifs

• Posted: 04/23/2012 03:18
  • Post subject:
^ I feel there is a somewhat similar abstract feel, atmosphere to both albums.
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 04/23/2012 10:52
  • Post subject:
The best album ever > One of the best ever.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 04/23/2012 11:11
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:
Both are strong albums, I personally prefer Ys.

If I had to argue I'd use these points
-Ys is probably more sophisticated and interesting in terms of songwriting: it has structurally complex multi part songs, key changes, lots of chords, lots of melodic ideas packed into one song, not to mention everything going on with the orchestration. Ys also uses other interesting compositional techniques like the poly-rythmic harp playing on Sawdust and Diamonds. NMH write mostly songs with basic chord progressions and more easily relatable to conventional song structure, it relies almost solely on the vocal performance and arrangements for its creativity.
-That being said I think the arrangements on Ys provide more interesting juxtapositions, pitting the folky flavours of Newsom's voice and some instruments (banjo, accordion) against the classical and nostalgic string arrangements. Not to say the acoustic pop mixed with marching band and lo-fi fuzz on NMH isn't also cool.
-Not as important but I think sometimes NMH relies too much on the unexpected/surprising lyrics to create emotional effect.

Still, both good albums.

Yourselfisntsteam said it all at the beginning.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/23/2012 11:45
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
Both are great albums though. I think it's funny that these two albums are compared to each other by some *cough Hayden* because I find them in no way similar

I find the freak-folk style they used similar....I might be mistaken, but when I first listen to Ys I thought of ITAOTS right away. Just with harp and ethnic sounds instead of bagpipes and trumpets.

Joanna Newsom has grown on my recently. Like...a lot. Mr. Green Ys is now in my top 30, but In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is still a few steps up imo.

But yeah, both are fantastic.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/23/2012 15:23
  • Post subject:
Aeroplane. It's just too damn catchy to resist.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2012 15:28
  • Post subject:
Haven't heard Ys yet, so I voted for what I knew and loved.
  • Visit poster's website