Moderators

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 05/07/2012 06:36
  • Post subject: Moderators
I think this site's moderators are getting out of hand. I find that comments are being deleted and threads are being locked with increasingly dumbfounding logic.

I mean, now we're at the point where comments are being deleted for containing curse words? I don't mean to sound like GARY, but tbh, he was right about this in the long run - the mods have too much power and are beginning to abuse it. The site is going through a slow, arduous neutering and I for one don't care for it. More moderation hasn't made things better, if anything, it's made things WORSE. In fact, lack of moderation was part of these forums' charm, if anything. If we had mods like this back when FatherTime showed up, HE'D STILL FUCKING BE HERE, BECAUSE ANYONE WHO TRIED TO ATTACK HIM WOULD BE STOPPED. And the site would be poorer for it. Unlike certain members, negative feedback doesn't bother me. It's part of life. Fucking grow a pair.

You know what this is? It's that episode of The Twilight Zone, "It's A Good Life".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_G...ight_Zone)
Let's not be the town from "It's A Good Life", please. Let's ease up on the sensitivities and grow some fucking balls.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 05/07/2012 06:47
  • Post subject:
^ agree

We only really needed the moderators to deal with Gary.

Many of the threads and posts being "moderated" just don't require it. Not saying the mods need to be removed, maybe they could just be less rigid in their interpretation of guidelines and perhaps employ some commonsense.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/07/2012 07:34
  • Post subject: Re: Moderators
I've got a hangover today, so I'll try and be straight down the middle. Moderating the site is quite a difficult job and a lot of thought goes into making it run smoothly. I'm not sure which comments are being referred to in particular, but I'm aware of hardly any. The thread that was locked the other day was the only thread that has been locked in about three months. There has to be some moderation here, because otherwise the site would turn into a mess fairly quickly.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 05/07/2012 07:43
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I was slightly miffed that my rude swear at that dingaling complaining about no foreign language albums got censored but other than that I haven't noticed any rampant misuse of authority.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/07/2012 08:01
  • Post subject:
Members that have only posted a handful of times are getting their first impressions of the community. I think people need to be given a bit of a chance, and I think that comment was a 'fuck you' in response to somebody's first ever post! I'm struggling to think of any other comments that have been moderated recently, but it's certainly less than a handful.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 05/07/2012 09:23
  • Post subject:
I don't really understand the point of the story in correlation with BEA...are you trying to say the mods are like Anthony? because that's probably more than a little hyperbolic. I think in the past, moderation has been helpful when regarding racial slurs etc but bleeping people seems extreme and closing threads where there's nothing but rational discussion seems needless. Also pretty sure we had moderators when FatherTime was around...anyway

With both the 'no foreign albums' guy and Fathertime I think it was more about the way they intoruced themselves to the site that was at fault. You can't spit in someone's face and then expect them to shake your hand and I think it's unfair to expect BEA to.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/07/2012 09:40
  • Post subject:
One thread has been closed in three months, and less than a handful of comments have been moderated in that time. The fact the two things happened close together probably makes things seem 'worse' than they are, but if you look at things over a longer time-frame, things are pretty much the same as they've always been.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 05/07/2012 10:18
  • Post subject:
Fair enough.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 05/07/2012 19:32
  • Post subject: Re: Moderators
Jackwc wrote:
I think this site's moderators are getting out of hand. I find that comments are being deleted and threads are being locked with increasingly dumbfounding logic.

I mean, now we're at the point where comments are being deleted for containing curse words? I don't mean to sound like GARY, but tbh, he was right about this in the long run - the mods have too much power and are beginning to abuse it. The site is going through a slow, arduous neutering and I for one don't care for it. More moderation hasn't made things better, if anything, it's made things WORSE. In fact, lack of moderation was part of these forums' charm, if anything. If we had mods like this back when FatherTime showed up, HE'D STILL FUCKING BE HERE, BECAUSE ANYONE WHO TRIED TO ATTACK HIM WOULD BE STOPPED. And the site would be poorer for it. Unlike certain members, negative feedback doesn't bother me. It's part of life. Fucking grow a pair.

You know what this is? It's that episode of The Twilight Zone, "It's A Good Life".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_G...ight_Zone)
Let's not be the town from "It's A Good Life", please. Let's ease up on the sensitivities and grow some fucking balls.

Just a quick response regarding my own involvement:

1) I've been a moderator here for some time now, and I can say that I have yet to have to delete a post or thread, lock a thread, warn any member, ban any member, or edit any thread, and I'm sure that there are others who can say the same thing. Part of it may be that I'm usually here when not much happens...but also because there isn't a whole lot of bad stuff going on here that I have seen. Because for the most part, everyone does a decent job of keeping things cool.

2) What I have seen that's been moderated in the manner you are talking about has been very minimal. I haven't seen anyone trying to be king because they have moderator status. I think that the people who are moderators here have done a good job of showing a lot of patience and restraint and realizing that they need to not have to remind everyone that they have a title that 99.9% of the time simply consists of reading a lot of threads we wouldn't normally read to make sure no one is abusing the site rules.

3) I know FatherTime. Have known him online for over ten years. He is the type of person who hides behind his monitor and uses his anonimity as a weapon. Jhereko is right...I believe that he was greeted with responses that were appropriate for the way he came in here, and we DID have moderation at that time. And I can tell you this...had he not been chased away, a lot of people would be, by now, begging for moderation....or gone. Because he is a guy who takes over a site and makes everything all about him...in the nastiest ways possible. I've seen him chase away entire populations on message boards. I've seen him learn personal things about people and attack without any thought with that same information. He is the reason for moderators on any site, period. FatherTime is a virus.

4) I've seen sites that are moderated heavily. This is most certainly not one of them. Things could definitely be much worse here. They are not. I believe that the moderation team actually does a really good job of NOT overdoing things.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Zoso

Australia

• Posted: 06/13/2012 06:10
  • Post subject:
The mods are basically cunts
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website