45%
 45%  [20]
Dark Side of the Moon
54%
 54%  [24]
Total Votes : 44

• Posted: 05/14/2012 21:54
  • Post subject: Doolittle vs. Dark Side of the Moon
Okay, I know these albums have almost nothing in common, but they are currently sitting at 3rd and 4th on my chart and I can't decide for the life of me which one I like better. So I figured I'd ask all you guys' opinions Very Happy

For me, Dark Side of the Moon has a TREMENDOUS amount of sentimental value. Of all the albums I still regularly listen to, this was probably the first one I ever heard (maybe with the exception of Abbey Road). I consider it utterly flawless from start to finish. Each individual song isn't necessarily incredible, but as a whole every song fits perfectly within its context. The musicianship is insane, the melodies are gorgeous, and the lyrics are haunting. A little bit of something for everyone in this album, I think.

Doolittle, on the other hand, is amazing for completely different reasons. Of the 15 songs on the album, no two of them are even remotely similar (in my opinion), and yet the album holds together perfectly. What strikes me most about this album is that not only is there not a single bad song, but every single song on this album is actually incredible. There's an underlying intensity throughout, whether in the lyrics or in the music, and this makes it an irresistible listen for me.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited by Guest on 05/15/2012 05:42; edited 1 time in total

• Posted: 05/15/2012 00:06
  • Post subject:
Maybe time will tell you which one is your favorite. Nobody else other than you can tell you what album you enjoy more. But... well, before I sound too much like a Kindergarten teacher, perhaps you are just looking for a thought or two from the outside to help make things clearer. So... here's my opinion.

Doolittle is a highly attention-grabbing album. Immediately the first song screams at the listener about how they saw a movie and wants you to know about slicing up eyeballs. So bizarre yet so damn catchy. And almost just as addictive, songs like Here Comes Your Man with a sort of surfer rock tune to it. La La Love You with a catchy drum beat and throws you off from Francis' higher vocals with the deep, sort of uhh.. Elvis-like vocals maybe? Not sure, but I think it reminds me of that. Hey is the song I find myself singing the most under my breathe at random occasions. And Silver just has this sort of... ol' mid-western American feel with a mental image of gun-slinging cowboys and whatever.

Those are the songs that stand out for me. I normally don't like to break an album down song-by-song, but the experience of this album is a bit like that for me. Each song has little connection in a sense where it does not make that much of a difference to listen to them in the right order, which is not always a problem in music. If there is a problem, I suppose not every song has worked as well as others for me. Maybe I need more time with it. Also, I don't feel that each song is so drastically different other than Silver, Debaser, Here Comes Your Man, and La La Love You. The rest of the songs are each interesting respectively, but are more comparable IMO.

Albums that better capture a sense of a collection of highly unsimilar yet somehow coherently placed together songs would be albums like (IMO) Kid A, Super æ, and Ummagumma (Studio Album). I know these have nothing to do with Doolittle, so moving on..

I'll have to agree with pretty much everything you said about Dark Side. As perfectly constructed an album as I've ever heard (although I haven't heard many albums yet admittedly). There's not much I can think to say about it, really. There is not a damn thing wrong with it, if music can be looked at objectively that is. There is not one album that I have been able to get more "into it" than this one. It just sucks me right in, holds me to the finish line, and then spits me back out and back to reality. Although I'm not sure "spit" is the right way to put it... I moreso slowly re-awaken or something.

Overall, one album is lots of energetic fun and the other is an epic journey. Both albums keep interest in their own way. Personally, I think Dark Side is miles ahead. Nothing against Doolittle, it's just... it's fucking Dark Side of the Moon. Comparing almost any album to it is just about unfair (in my mind). That's how strongly I feel about it. At least... for now, anyway.

• Posted: 05/15/2012 00:56
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
Maybe time will tell you which one is your favorite. Nobody else other than you can tell you what album you enjoy more. But... well, before I sound too much like a Kindergarten teacher, perhaps you are just looking for a thought or two from the outside to help make things clearer. So... here's my opinion.

Haha, yeah, I was just tryin' to get an idea for how other people felt about them. I know it's up to me, haha. Thanks for your input, though! I'm glad we're more or less on the same page with DSOTM, haha.

Also, sorry to be nit-picky, but La La Love You wasn't actually sung by Francis. It was sung by David Lovering, the drummer. Fun fact of the day.

• Posted: 05/15/2012 01:40
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I know you know. Sometimes I just... say things? Did that make sense...? I'm really tired right now.

Well anyway, thanks for the fun fact, mate.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/15/2012 16:52
  • Post subject:
DSOTM , easily.
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2012 17:17
  • Post subject:
Doolittle wins by a longshot. Especially in its first half, DSOTM is boring as fuck. I can't tolerate "Money" anymore. I don't know why, but that album has just never clicked with me.

Doolittle, on the other hand, is massive eargasm from beginning to end. They're just great tunes. That's all that it takes to make good music, and the music at the core of Doolittle is just a lot better.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Cafu86

Denmark

• Posted: 05/15/2012 17:45
  • Post subject:
DSOTM is ten times more innovative and sublime in
my opinion.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2012 18:17
  • Post subject:
Dark Side of the Moon
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 05/15/2012 19:41
  • Post subject:
he already knows which is more popular
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/15/2012 19:56
  • Post subject:
Strange question. As with all music comes down to personal preference, meaning 'Doolittle' for me. However, if you're looking at it objectively, in terms of which has a wider fanbase, influence and innovation, I'd probably plump for 'Dark Side....'. Then again, is it possible to look at music objectively? Is it possible to look at music at all? Are we really here? What does it all mean?