Metal recommendations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 05/30/2012 23:42
  • Post subject: Metal recommendations
I'm not sure if there's any metalheads on this site (it doesn't look like it), but I'm trying anyway: I've realised that my collection of music needs more harsh and brutal tones. So why not dig into the metal world?

My problem is that I can't find any metal music which I find interesting. I've tried albums by Alice in Chains, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Faith No More, Fantômas, Isis, Kyuss, Mastodon, Metallica, Opeth, Queensrÿche, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, System of a Down, Tool and Devin Townsend. I find all of these to be too sterile, lacking in heaviness and harshness.

I think I'm looking for something that isn't very pleasing to average ears, which means either very heavy, harsh, experimental or difficult in another way. I'd also like that the musics focus is set towards the sound rather than the compositions - too much metal bores me, as it just repeat boring riffs to death rather than searching for an interesting sound or mood.

So yeah, it seems that I'm quite demanding. But I should be, as music can meet even your highest expectations. I'll appreciate and be open for any recommendation Smile
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 05/31/2012 00:24
  • Post subject:

Link

Link

• Visit poster's website
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 05/31/2012 00:48
  • Post subject:
Funny you post this now, I've just been in the last month or month and half starting to explore metal in a more detailed way myself. Here are some things that have really appealed to me so far in my exploration:

Godflesh- Streetcleaner -industrial influenced stuff, very noisy, uses drum machine instead of drummer, as bleak as early Swans
Demilich- Nespithe -surreal death metal with hilarious weirdo belching vocals and complex atonal guitar riffs, the album is free on the bands website, so you may as well get it
Burzum- Hvis Lyset Tar Oss - its black metal. Defined by overpowering low-fi guitar noise and ambienty keyboards
Corrupted- El Mundo Frio- Doom metal which is more like post-rock slowed down and stretched out a hundred times with sudden bursts of soul crushing distortion and evil growling, oh and harp, pretty pretty harp
Peste Noire- La Sanie des Siecles -just got this a couple days ago, fairly standard black metal I think, but with even harsher vocals, some church samples, and really awesome acoustic guitar solos
Sigh- In Somniphobia -over the top, eclectic, and unclassifiable stuff that goes everywhere, dont own it yet though
Gorguts- Obscura - really challenging technical Death Metal, super complex, dissonant and frightening, on my too buy list

Link

BURRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Link
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 05/31/2012 01:45
  • Post subject:
Borve Baunehoj wrote:
I'm not sure if there's any metalheads on this site

Present!

And here are some great death metal bands with some song examples.

Immolation is probs my favorite death metal band.

Link

Death.

Link

Bolt Thrower

Link

The Monolith Deathcult

Link

Incantation

Link

Or maybe some black metal Smile

Immortal

Link

Inquisiton

Link

Emperor

Link

And whatever the hell The Angelic Process is:

Link

Went a little overboard Embarassed But I get excited when "BEA" and "Metal" are used in the same sentence.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2012 02:17
  • Post subject:

Link

The heaviest album ever made. That's not by Burning Witch, at least.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 05/31/2012 02:33
  • Post subject:
Agree with Applerill, Dopethrone rules. There is also another great Electric Wizard album, called Come My Fanatics...

If you're looking for harsh stuff, then I recommend Type O Negative's debut or Godflesh's Pure.

Also, have you tried Iron Maiden yet?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2012 03:37
  • Post subject:
I am a long-time fan of metal, too. I love the old standby bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. Heavy is great. But, I strongly dislike, what I call, "Cookie Monster vocals." You know...like the stuff that sounds like the vocals on the Immolation example that was suggested. I do love the sound of that band's music...but, then the vocals just ruins it for me. Some screaming and wailing is fine (that's always been part of metal)...although, I truly like singing rather than just yelling into a microphone. I want a song..not just noise. I also don't think that high speed needs to be a factor in good metal. It's not how fast you can play...it's how well you can play.

Are there any suggestions out there for some really heavy music that doesn't solely rely on speed and doesn't use those "Cookie Monster vocals?"

I know, it's a narrow, difficult niche to fill...but, I'm open to suggestions (and, hopefully, it'll help out others who may be trying to also fill that need).
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 05/31/2012 03:51
  • Post subject:
^ i obviously completely disagree with you about the "cookie monster vocals" but..

... Kamelot Cool

Or maybe try Slough Feg.

I'd post YouTubes but I'm on a mere phone.
  • Visit poster's website
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2012 04:03
  • Post subject:
Yep, I already like Kamelot (and I have this BEA forum to thank for introducing me to that band awhile back).

I just looked up some samples of Slough Feg and...yep...GREAT SUGGESTION! Thank you for that one. I'd never listened to them before.
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 05/31/2012 11:46
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Went a little overboard Embarassed But I get excited when "BEA" and "Metal" are used in the same sentence.

That's just cool, though I would appreciate if people linked to the videos rather than posting them. My computer stars freezing and working slow when I enter the thread Sad And now to your recommendations:

Immolation
I liked the sound, dark and heavy. I didn't find the song particulary interesting, but maybe they have done better?

Death
Their sound wasn't heavy at all. His growls were actually quite interesting, as they sound far from the average death metal growl (I believe), but I disliked how thin all the instrumentation sounded.

Bolt Thrower
I found them boring, honestly. Sounded like average metal with a growler instead of a singer.

The Monolith Deathcult
I'm mostly opposed to symphonic arrangements in rock music, and the same thing applies here.

Incanation
The growls lacked energy. He made the music sound drowsy rather than energetic.

Immortal
Black metal? I'm not an expert in the genre, but to me, this more sounded like thrash metal with more harsh shrieks. I'm not a fan of thrash metal.

Inquisition
A little too slow, I think. The vocals were pretty unusual and probably acquired taste.

Emperor
Again, I'm not a fan of the symphonic arrangements. Otherwise, I actually liked it a lot. I liked how chaotic it was.

The Angelic Process
Wow, that was by far my favorite! Very slow, mesmerizing and atmospheric. I'll definitely investigate some of this band's work.

So yeah, overall I'm quite skeptical, it seems. But I do appreciate your recommendations, and The Angelic Process were truly good Smile