Random chat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1262, 1263, 1264 ... 1283, 1284, 1285  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/22/2020 15:21
  • Post subject:
Yes, around Jarun area. We're all okay except for 4 wine glasses. Still 5.3 Richter at 6:34 Sunday morning, not the best way to wake up. Followed by 5.0 at 7 and several 3.something smaller ones. Might not seem much to people from active zones in the world, but it's the strongest earthquake here in 140 years, and it had to happen during these corona times... Thankfully there aren't many victims, a 15-year old girl is in critical condition and several people are wounded. Hope they'll be okay too. The cathedral and a lot of old churches and buildings near the old center were hit. This is our version of Notre Dame fires, though not nearly as devastating. It's still sad to see. And people were roaming the streets for several hours, it's bound to get a lot of people infected. I don't live in the old center, so our house is ok. We'll keep a big IKEA box in the hallway with necessary stuff in it from now on... Right now as I'm typing another tremor, scary stuff.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/22/2020 15:49
  • Post subject:
Glad you're fine. Yeah people might underestimate it, but a 5-something magnitude earthquake can still be devastating in some circumstances - shallow epicenter, almost directly under a major city with plenty of older buildings... And tbh not sure about those apartment blocks built in the 50s and 60s. At least that'd be my worry if/when this happens in Slovenia.

I felt the first two tremors quite significantly, and honestly the first thought was that I hope the epicenter wasn't somewhere in the north of Italy, because that could be devastating with all the shit they have with the virus. Hope this will be the worst of it, good luck with everything.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/22/2020 17:31
  • Post subject:
Glad it didn't happen in Italy, it would've been terrible. They are facing the worst days of this crisis right now. Still the situation is serious in Croatia, some people cannot go back home since their houses aren't deemed safe, they'll have to be taken care of. This of course means that there are people are gathering in the streets in the middle of corona outbreak, and that's perhaps the most dangerous thing. A lot of those old buildings in the center of Zagreb still have loose bricks and debris which might fall at any given moment. It's even more dangerous because of the strong wind. Several hospitals were evacuated with army's help and there were child births literally in the cars. And there's always danger of another earthquake. Shocking stuff.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2020 05:13
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Still the situation is serious in Croatia, some people cannot go back home since their houses aren't deemed safe, they'll have to be taken care of. And there's always danger of another earthquake. Shocking stuff.

Also the virus hasn't peaked yet in Europe (or the U.S.), so that aspect is going to get significantly worse before it gets better.
  • Visit poster's website
Mythtall

• Posted: 03/25/2020 20:57
  • Post subject:
Some of the lightbulbs in my bedroom shine yellow and some shine white. The middle shine white and othersides shine yellow Neutral
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2020 11:17
  • Post subject:
This is all such a nightmare. My parents, grandparents, and loads of my friends are in NY. I've known multiple people to be hospitalized after testing positive. Thankfully, it appears that they're recovering, but it's gotta be frightening. There's also been riots 10 miles from where I grew up because of a police shooting.

Hope everyone is surviving ok. It's truly a surreal time to be alive.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2020 14:10
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
This is all such a nightmare. My parents, grandparents, and loads of my friends are in NY. I've known multiple people to be hospitalized after testing positive. Thankfully, it appears that they're recovering, but it's gotta be frightening. There's also been riots 10 miles from where I grew up because of a police shooting.

Hope everyone is surviving ok. It's truly a surreal time to be alive.

That is great to hear! The next epicenters appear to be Chicago & Detroit. Crying or Very sad

imagine how insane this would be if we were not doing shelter in place. Truly insane.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2020 16:18
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Detroit.

My cousin is a doctor at a large hospital outside of Detroit. He's doing well so far, but it's certainly not good.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2020 18:01
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
That is great to hear! The next epicenters appear to be Chicago & Detroit. Crying or Very sad

imagine how insane this would be if we were not doing shelter in place. Truly insane.

Yeah, of course it'd hit Chicago next since that's where both my brothers live.

There's still parts of this country who seem to be doing nothing preventative. It's really crazy. Seems like there's no end in sight.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2020 18:23
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Seems like there's no end in sight.

That's the unfortunate truth of the matter. The way things are going right now, the "peak" probably won't happen for another month or so. I wouldn't be surprised to see it keep going up well into April. Of course we have to take the numbers with a grain of salt, becuase more people will be able to be tested, which means more people will test positive. Traffic in my area has been down for the most part, but I've still seen some jerks posted to the KC subreddit that are certainly not following any sort of instruction.
  • Visit poster's website