Beatles Bashing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dp39

• Posted: 03/12/2009 20:27
  • Post subject: Beatles Bashing
There is always a ton of Beatles bashing on these sorts of sites. And fair enough, not everyone will agree that they are great. However, I think we should list some reasons why they are so great for once instead of bringing them down.
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 03/12/2009 23:49
  • Post subject: Re: Beatles Bashing
dp39 wrote:
However, I think we should list some reasons why they are so great for once instead of bringing them down.

"For once?" Smile

Isn't the fact that they are extremely overhyped and constantly praised the reason why there is so much Beatles "bashing"? I quote the term "bashing" because it's a a negative term which points to a type of criticism that is harsh, mean-spirited, and unfair (gay-bashing, for example). "Bashing" makes it sound like it's a fact that the Beatles are great, and any negative criticism would only come from a big Beatles bigot out to attack the Fab Four. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply such a notion, but it does reflect a general bias towards the Beatles. I've found that people who claim they are the best band ever, are just as guilty of hyperbole as some of their less-admiring critics.

I do see the appeal, so I'm not at all surprised by their popularity, even though there are just so many better, ground-breaking bands of the 60s.

To be fair, there isn't any band that could live up to the type of hype surrounding them.
  • Visit poster's website
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2009 02:22
[quote="joannajewsom]
I do see the appeal, so I'm not at all surprised by their popularity, even though there are just so many better, ground-breaking bands of the 60s.

[/quote]ground-breaking ?
yes
better?
no

My chart
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=689
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 03/19/2009 03:43
I miss 8-tracks wrote:

ground-breaking ?
yes
better?
no

Learn how to quote.
ground-breaking?
yes
better?
yes

See how easy that is. Would you like to tell me why the Beatles are so better than everybody else? Please don't cite popularity. Talk about the actual music.
  • Visit poster's website
AleJohnMari

• Posted: 03/19/2009 12:56
joannajewsom wrote:
I've found that people who claim they are the best band ever, are just as guilty of hyperbole as some of their less-admiring critics.

I think this a very good argument. I also think the Beatles is one of the best things ever happened to the world of music, but when people start to claim about things that are subjective, other people get fired up.
By the way, I also think Mozart, Syd Barrett, Cornelis Vreeswijk, George Brassens, Robert Johnson and Led Zeppelin are one of the best things ever happened to the world of music. Other people think Beethoven, Elvis Presley or U2 are.
So all you Beatle-admirers, extend your horizon and make discussions more interesting.
Ps. I still remember the months I "discovered" the White Album, life was great for months Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Midas

• Posted: 03/19/2009 18:29
  • Post subject:
Hey my fellow King Crimson fan.

Bill Bruford on the Beatles

MD: What sparked that original creative spark that became prog rock?

Bill: The Beatles. They broke down every barrier that ever existed. Suddenly you could do anything after The Beatles. You could write your own music, make it ninety yards long, put it in 7/4, whatever you wanted.

Robert Fripp on hearing the Beatles Sgt Pepper

Robert Fripp- When I was 20, I worked at a hotel in a dance orchestra, playing weddings, bar-mitzvahs, dancing, cabaret. I drove home and I was also at college at the time. Then I put on the radio (Radio Luxemburg) and I heard this music. It was terrifying. I had no idea what it was. Then it kept going. Then there was this enormous whine note of strings. Then there was this colossal piano chord. I discovered later that I'd come in half-way through Sgt. Pepper, played continuously. My life was never the same again.

The Beatles wrote the master class in using non rock sources whether it was Greek Folk music "Girl", avant styled tape loops "Tomorrow Never Knows" or the avant orchestration on "A Day in the Life" with pop/rock music. Making strange sounds does not always equal great music. Some people swear by the Red Crayola but to me it's all noise. The Beatles were redefining modern pop music and influenced basically every early progressive rock artists.

Basically every modern electronic artist owes something to "Tomorrow Never Knows". The Beatles did more artistically in this one song than currents bands have done (and will do) in their entire careers. It blows my mind that Revolver was done on a 4 track mono soundboard. I'm a musician myself and have some understanding of recording equipment but they did this with 4 track technology. Tomorrow Never Knows they began experimenting with tape loops effects, musique-concrète, backward music, repetition drum & bass sound, and all in one song which influenced modern electronica.

In the television program Howard Goodall's 20th-Century Greats, Goodall says that in mixing pop and classical techniques, and cross-fertilising them with Indian and electronic music, The Beatles refreshed and revitalised western harmony. They also transformed the recording studio from a dull box where you recaptured your live sound, into a musical laboratory, of exciting and completely new sounds.

The Beatles (Revolver) 1966 Revolutionary in early preoccupation with "psychedelic" effects as a studio instrument, including electronic/tape effects, sound distortion, influence of Indian music, and avant-garde. New recording technique inclued Automatic Double Tracking, layered tape looped effects, many kinds of reserve tape effects, and vocals through leslie amps.

Compare the Velvet Underground to the Monks or the Sonics who arguably really are the pioneers of proto-punk. Comparing the Beatles to the Velvet Underground does not make sense because they are different types of music.
  • Visit poster's website
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2009 04:09
joannajewsom wrote:
I miss 8-tracks wrote:

ground-breaking ?
yes
better?
no

Learn how to quote.
ground-breaking?
yes
better?
yes

See how easy that is.
Rolling Eyes being a jerk will get you nowhere

My chart
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=689
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
JohnnyRocketFingers

• Posted: 04/19/2009 21:18
  • Post subject:
The Beatles are an excellent band. But are they overhyped? Yes. From Please Please Me up to and including Help! they wrote little more than pop songs with only a few keepers yet all these albums get hailed as some of the best albums ever. Bottom line, they are not. But from Rubber Soul on, they wrote some of the best albums ever. Revolver, Sgt Peppers, and Abbey Road are all fantastic. Rubber Soul is also very good. So i would have to disagree with you Joanna because you obviously are missing something when listening to Sgt Peppers or Revolver to say they are not very good. But i also have to disagree with the other extreme that every album they made was fantastic and pure genius. Trust me, it wasn't.

To sum it all up. There are few bands on par with The Beatles from not only the 60s but of all time but they still are overhyped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F10tP5HIpaA
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 04/19/2009 22:12
  • Post subject:
I agree with you about their discography from Rubber Soul on. I never said that Sgt. Pepper's and Revolver weren't good, I just don't think they are masterpieces. When discussing the Beatles with people who worship them (not you, Johnny), it's hard to not seem extreme. Here are my rankings on the Beatles albums I've heard:

Please Please Me (1963)- D+
A Hard Day's Night (1964)- C
Help! (1965)- C
Rubber Soul (1965)- B
Revolver (1966)- B
Sgt. Pepper's (1967)- B+
Magical Mystery Tour (1967)- A-
The Beatles (1968)- C+ (I appreciate the effort, but it didn't work for me)
Yellow Submarine (1969)- D
Abbey Road (1969)- B+
Let It Be (1970)- C-

I'm sure some of these, I think, favorable ratings may cause some people to scream blasphemy. Sorry. I will have to respectfully disagree that there are very few bands on par with them. I think that in regard to pop/rock, there are very few on par with them. But talking about the very broad and diverse realm of rock, there are many better bands. That's just my personal opinion. I think you have great taste in music, so I respect your opinion on the matter.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2009 23:19
  • Post subject:
I like your schoolgirl ratings. Here are my ratings of The Beatles:

Revolver: A+
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: A
The Beatles ("White Album"): A
Abbey Road: A
Rubber Soul: A