Beatles Bashing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/22/2009 15:24
  • Post subject:
P.S Joanna, I agree with you on how you feel about I'm Waiting For The Man, although I'll Be Your Mirror is a beautiful song, same with Pale Blue Eyes. Razz
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 04/22/2009 19:11
  • Post subject:
NowhereMan, you make me sound close-minded when you say that no one is going to change my opinion (to be fair, you say that about everybody; you did, however, single me out). My opinion can be changed if someone gives me a good reason to change my opinion. For this very reason, I don't have the same ideals/opinions as I did, say, a year ago. Maybe some people need to learn how take part in a structured debate, instead of acting like I'm close-minded all the while avoiding the questions I ask, and ignoring my rebuttals. I'm completely open-minded to reasonable thought, and I will not apologize for pointing out holes and flaws in people's arguments. If that makes me close-minded, so be it.

Telling me that Fripp liked "A Day in the Life"and Hendrix covered their songs, like he did 100s of other bands, are not good reasons for me to change my opinion. Telling me that millions of other people like the Beatles is not a good reason for me to change my opinion or reevaluate my position. Millions of people are eating McDonald's burgers everyday, but that does not once make me reconsider my opinion of their food. Accepting these aa good reasons to change my opinion to that of the Beatles being the best, would not be changing my opinion. That would just be adopting the opinion of others.
  • Visit poster's website
Midas

• Posted: 04/23/2009 14:08
  • Post subject:
Mr.Music every band that recorded music in say 1964 sounds dated. Let's fast forward to Revolver many of the tracks sound much more Modern sounding than much of what's on VU first album. Do you hear how old some of these tracks are.

I think a lot of the Velvet Underground unique sound is how their vocals sound and experimenting with un-tuned guitars.

"There She Goes Again" musically sounds like a Merseybeat song with Garage sounding vocals

"Venus In Furs" sounds like something like the Doors

"Femme Fatale" and "Sunday Morning" sounds like Baroque Pop

"Waiting for the Man" is just rock and roll"

"Ill Be Your Mirror" sounds like it could come from any 60s pop music group.

"All Tomorrow Parties" is not really that avant sounding and it has a nice melody.

The Doors first album sounds progressively dated. Sgt Pepper sounds dated as most psychedelic sounding albums but much of the White Album and Abbey Road sounds almost contemporary. I know that the Beatles get a lot of attention but a lot of their influence from the 60's was cultural also and that is why they get more attention than say any band of the 60's. You are not going to get Rockband coming from Dylan or the Kinks they don't have that kind of following. Those are the facts. Is it fair not really and I can understand why someone would not like the Beatles but those are the facts.
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2009 14:39
  • Post subject:
Midas wrote:
Mr.Music every band that recorded music in say 1964 sounds dated. Let's fast forward to Revolver many of the tracks sound much more Modern sounding than much of what's on VU first album. Do you hear how old some of these tracks are.

I think a lot of the Velvet Underground unique sound is how their vocals sound and experimenting with un-tuned guitars.

"There She Goes Again" musically sounds like a Merseybeat song with Garage sounding vocals

"Venus In Furs" sounds like something like the Doors

"Femme Fatale" and "Sunday Morning" sounds like Baroque Pop

"Waiting for the Man" is just rock and roll"

"Ill Be Your Mirror" sounds like it could come from any 60s pop music group.

"All Tomorrow Parties" is not really that avant sounding and it has a nice melody.

The Doors first album sounds progressively dated. Sgt Pepper sounds dated as most psychedelic sounding albums but much of the White Album and Abbey Road sounds almost contemporary. I know that the Beatles get a lot of attention but a lot of their influence from the 60's was cultural also and that is why they get more attention than say any band of the 60's. You are not going to get Rockband coming from Dylan or the Kinks they don't have that kind of following. Those are the facts. Is it fair not really and I can understand why someone would not like the Beatles but those are the facts.

Much more than just on their debut...
  • Visit poster's website