The Rise and Fall of She & Him - Volume Two

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/02/2012 14:51
  • Post subject: The Rise and Fall of She & Him - Volume Two
I found an album through this website called 'Volume Two' by a group named 'She & Him' back in 2010. I remember it being in the top 10-15 of 2010 for a while before faltering a little down to perhaps the 20 region. I was going through the best of the year, working my way down, when I came across it. Bouncy and comfortable music that sounds like it had been recorded with tiny guitars and cute instruments. Songwriting is a plus too, I noticed that on my last listen.

Anyway, 2010 has gone now. So has 2011. While other albums from 2010 have lost about 10 places or so, stayed around where they were or edged further to the top one chart at time, this one has fallen. Fallen badly I might add. So badly that it is currently below the the top 100! I have never seen an album fall that much since... well what Switchfoot 'The Perfect Letdown' has been doing forever.

I have taken a little pity on this album. It isn't the best one in the world but I've enjoyed it a lot. I never heard of the artist before joining the website so it was one of the many musical "discoveries" I have made here. I found them near the top but newer users will likely miss them unless they pick random albums from below the top 100 of a year chart. Maybe they are more likely to have heard it through another website? I'm not sure of their popularity elsewhere though. Anyway... give this a chance. Wonder if they will breach the top 100 again? Razz

Link

Link

Link
monosyllables

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2012 17:43
  • Post subject:
Isn't this the one that's Zooey Daschnel and Jason Schwarzman (if those weren't some doozies of last names...)? Or am I thinking of something else?
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/04/2012 22:51
  • Post subject:
I'm not sure if they were the people. There may have been 2 people in the band. Might even be a three piece.

So has everyone forgotten them? Did they do something horrendous and must not be speaken of again? Surprised
Xavygravy

• Posted: 07/05/2012 00:01
  • Post subject:
Nah, I love She & Him.

My guess: the image they get is that it's 'throwaway sunshine pop', hence why they're probably neglected over more serious-sounding bands. They're also very rarely anyone's Top 100 material, and only a limited number of users have access to decade and yearly charts, so it kind of makes sense.

If I actually made a decade and yearly chart for 2010, Volume Two would probably get in the Top 100. I'll do that now...
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/05/2012 00:05
  • Post subject:
monosyllables wrote:
Isn't this the one that's Zooey Daschnel and Jason Schwarzman (if those weren't some doozies of last names...)? Or am I thinking of something else?

This is it.

They're ok. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 07/05/2012 06:46
  • Post subject:
Ok, Volume Two is now at #99 of 2010. One place ahead of My World 2.0.

I actually have no idea why V2 is ranked so low.
  • Visit poster's website
andy_hunter

Cape Verde

• Posted: 07/06/2012 09:54
  • Post subject:
People's exposure to Zooey Deschanel hadn't reached saturation by 2010, I think a lot of people are kind of sick of her now. She's all over the TV the last thing people want to do is see her in their charts, despite the fact its a pretty good album.

Also, 2010 was a very good year imo - a lot of competition.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 07/06/2012 11:33
  • Post subject:
andy_hunter wrote:
People's exposure to Zooey Deschanel hadn't reached saturation by 2010, I think a lot of people are kind of sick of her now. She's all over the TV the last thing people want to do is see her in their charts, despite the fact its a pretty good album.

Also, 2010 was a very good year imo - a lot of competition.

There are a lot of terrible albums in the Top 100 for 2010 on this site.

I can agree with your first point though.
  • Visit poster's website