Ladies and Gentelmen : get ready for The Seer !!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 08/14/2012 23:35
  • Post subject:
cartoken wrote:
That's very strange from Probably the biggest fan of Swans here. This album is like a very best of their earlier work. you maybe need much more time to digest the whole thing Smile

Your probably right. Laughing As I said, high expectations.

@Hayden. First Bunny record, then Soundtracks for the Blind and Children of God.

Those three almost cover off their whole career. Ugly early period, folky mid period, and later post rock period.
Saposcat

• Posted: 08/14/2012 23:47
  • Post subject:
New Swans is a brutal and beautiful trip. I have listened only once, and that was a couple weeks ago. Not going to listen again till a better quality rip leaks--since the current leak is not only premaster but also transcode, thus its not being on what.cd yet (notice that the volume peaks on the first disc are at least three decibels lower than those on the second)--or till I get my preorder, whichever comes first. As the press release indicates the album is really a culmination of the past three decades of Swans and Gira in general, for instance the harsh violence of early Swans, the doom folk and sound collage and drone of mid and late, the dark country a la Angels of Light and solo Gira. Remarkably cohesive despite the emotional and sonic diversity. New are the elements Swans have entertained only in live settings, namely the hypnotic Can-esque plodding whereby compositions build up and mutate gradually. More than they have before this album, Swans songs breathe freely and last just as exhaustively long as they ought to. It's a great achievement, very likely my album of the year, and among Swans' best and most fully realized.

I have been searching for a good quality leak of the album for the past few weeks, to no avail, but I have come across some discussions such as this, and I quickly made a profile here to put in my two cents. I look forward to using this site to discover and discuss other new albums as they come out. Cheers.
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 08/14/2012 23:47
  • Post subject:
Saposcat wrote:
New Swans is a brutal and beautiful trip. I have listened only once, and that was a couple weeks ago. Not going to listen again till a better quality rip leaks--since the current leak is not only premaster but also transcode, thus its not being on what.cd yet (notice that the volume peaks on the first disc are at least three decibels lower than those on the second)--or till I get my preorder, whichever comes first. As the press release indicates the album is really a culmination of the past three decades of Swans and Gira in general, for instance the harsh violence of early Swans, the doom folk and sound collage and drone of mid and late, the dark country a la Angels of Light and solo Gira. Remarkably cohesive despite the emotional and sonic diversity. New are the elements Swans have entertained only in live settings, namely the hypnotic Can-esque plodding whereby compositions build up and mutate gradually. More than they have before this album, Swans songs breathe freely and last just as exhaustively long as they ought to. It's a great achievement, very likely my album of the year, and among Swans' best and most fully realized.

I have been searching for a good quality leak of the album for the past few weeks, to no avail, but I have come across some discussions such as this, and I quickly made a profile here to put in my two cents. I look forward to using this site to discover and discuss other new albums as they come out. Cheers.

Welcome to BEA!
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/14/2012 23:49
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:

@Hayden. First Bunny record, then Soundtracks for the Blind and Children of God.

Aight. Got it. Then the Seer. Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Saposcat

• Posted: 08/14/2012 23:55
  • Post subject:
Thanks!

And I agree: The Great Annihilator is a great introductory Swans album. White Light from the Mouth of Infinity too. Their two most accessible albums.

Has anyone else here also heard the rare bonus disc of My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope to The Sky? It is a 46 minute sound collage ("Look At Me Go") which Gira composed from sounds of the album proper. Excellent. It is the bonus disc that seems a continuation from Soundtracks for the Blind, the album they released before Gira deactivated the band, and it is from the bonus disc that The Seer continues best, as I reckon. I definitely recommend listening to it. It is quite a different beast entirely from My Father.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 08/15/2012 00:10
  • Post subject:
Saposcat wrote:
Thanks!

And I agree: The Great Annihilator is a great introductory Swans album. White Light from the Mouth of Infinity too. Their two most accessible albums.

Has anyone else here also heard the rare bonus disc of My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope to The Sky? It is a 46 minute sound collage ("Look At Me Go") which Gira composed from sounds of the album proper. Excellent. It is the bonus disc that seems a continuation from Soundtracks for the Blind, the album they released before Gira deactivated the band, and it is from the bonus disc that The Seer continues best, as I reckon. I definitely recommend listening to it. It is quite a different beast entirely from My Father.

Welcome to BEA !

i have only listened to My Father Will Guide... but will definitely listen to that bonus disc soon if it's that good.

Hayden wrote:
Aight. Got it. Then the Seer. Razz

Don't forget The Great Annihilator !
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 08/15/2012 12:01
  • Post subject:
Just finished it and I pretty much agree with everything Yourselfisntsteam said.

Instrumental parts dragged on for way too long, but what was there was really moody and different.

This was the first Swan's record I've heard so I wasn't sure what to expect - I wish it hadn't been quite so dark all the way through, felt really heavy, sounds like you're running through some murky woods at night, but it never ends, it just keeps going, like something is eventually going to hunt you down.

More melodies would have been nice, but the big saving grace on the album is Song For A Warrior, beautiful song, and after 64 minutes of dreary stuff it felt like a big breath of fresh air.

70/100

• Posted: 08/15/2012 12:26
  • Post subject:
Saposcat wrote:
Thanks!

Just quoted you to say that I loved your avatar! Beckett is my favorite novelist! And I want to say that musically, Philip Glass is Samuel Beckett's soul mate! I don't know whether you've listened to his works or not, but if not give it a try!

• Posted: 08/15/2012 12:27
  • Post subject:
I listened to it. Twice. It's quite good.
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 08/15/2012 12:35
  • Post subject:
CalamityCat wrote:
I wish it hadn't been quite so dark all the way through

Good luck if you ever listen to anything else they made, their earlier albums are among the darkest/most depressing you can find (song titles like "failure", "raping a slave", "blind love", "Nobody"). The Seer is fairly upbeat by Swans' standards I think Laughing