Ladies and Gentelmen : get ready for The Seer !!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 08/15/2012 12:40
  • Post subject:
CalamityCat wrote:
Just finished it and I pretty much agree with everything Yourselfisntsteam said.

sounds like you're running through some murky woods at night, but it never ends, it just keeps going, like something is eventually going to hunt you down.
70/100

If that really sounds like that, It may end up as my all-time favorite!! But now I don't really want to listen to a leak.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 08/15/2012 12:42
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:
Good luck if you ever listen to anything else they made, their earlier albums are among the darkest/most depressing you can find (song titles like "failure", "raping a slave", "blind love", "Nobody"). The Seer is fairly upbeat by Swans' standards I think Laughing

I'm cool with dark stuff, but I think there always has to be that light at the end of the tunnel, otherwise it just makes you feel like life isn't worth living - there should be a sense of hope, even if ultimately it's unreachable.
If The Seer is upbeat, I'm not sure I'll be checking out the rest of Swans discography any time too soon Laughing

I feel like I need to listen to some ELO or something now. Razz
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 08/15/2012 12:51
  • Post subject:
Well, there is some hope on the mid career albums (white light from the mouth of infinity, love of life) but the really early albums make stuff like nine inch nails seem like happy pop music. Laughing
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 08/15/2012 13:00
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
If that really sounds like that, It may end up as my all-time favorite!! But now I don't really want to listen to a leak.

You should start listen to black metal then, that's the feeling most black metal musicians tries to achieve through their music.

And I cannot listen to Swans at the moment, too busy with James Brown.

• Posted: 08/15/2012 13:10
  • Post subject:
Borve Baunehoj wrote:
You should start listen to black metal then, that's the feeling most black metal musicians tries to achieve through their music.

And I cannot listen to Swans at the moment, too busy with James Brown.

But they can't, because they use wrong elements. Distorted high tempo riffs and growling and shrieking can't convey the feeling of a person running in silent woods with a sense of worry; and how many albums you can make on that inspiration? I mean black metal always sounds the same.

Last edited by Guest on 08/15/2012 13:29; edited 1 time in total
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 08/15/2012 13:12
  • Post subject:
CalamityCat wrote:
I'm cool with dark stuff, but I think there always has to be that light at the end of the tunnel, otherwise it just makes you feel like life isn't worth living - there should be a sense of hope, even if ultimately it's unreachable.
If The Seer is upbeat, I'm not sure I'll be checking out the rest of Swans discography any time too soon Laughing

I feel like I need to listen to some ELO or something now. Razz

Don't bring me down, no no no no noo.. uh-uh-uuuh!
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 08/15/2012 13:34
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
Don't bring me down, no no no no noo.. uh-uh-uuuh!

Everybody all around the world, gotta tell you what I just heard: there's gonna be a party all over the woooorld
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 08/15/2012 18:34
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
But they can't, because they use wrong elements. Distorted high tempo riffs and growling and shrieking can't convey the feeling of a person running in silent woods with a sense of worry; and how many albums you can make on that inspiration? I mean black metal always sounds the same.

Ummm wut? Black metal sounds the same? I guess in the same sense that all indie sounds the same.

I would say black metal does an incredible job of capturing the essence of winter and coldness rather than necessarily a forest. That being said, the album Ultima Thumee by Blut Aus Nord is the best example of an album exemplifying a dark winter forest. It's not so much worry as legitimate fear. (Bergtatt by Ulver is also a fantastic example).

Oh and the growls and shrieks only magnify the intense emotional feelings that black metal creates.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/15/2012 19:55
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Ummm wut? Black metal sounds the same? I guess in the same sense that all indie sounds the same.

I would say black metal does an incredible job of capturing the essence of winter and coldness rather than necessarily a forest. That being said, the album Ultima Thumee by Blut Aus Nord is the best example of an album exemplifying a dark winter forest. It's not so much worry as legitimate fear. (Bergtatt by Ulver is also a fantastic example).

Oh and the growls and shrieks only magnify the intense emotional feelings that black metal creates.

If black metal creates those feelings the songs shouldn't incorporate the reactions to those feelings, namely shrieking and growling (I don't say that shrieking and growling is always bad and should be abandoned, but certainly that kind of specific musical element can't and shouldn't define a genre but should be originally used as an element of the poetic of pieces that can employ the sound as a part of the whole image not stuff every part of it with a thing that specific).

And as for the woods and winter, I cannot imagine how shrieking, growling and high-tempo and highly distorted riffs can help to depict those kind of sceneries, neither when you look at their eerie and dark side, nor when you consider them as a part of romantic and nostalgic image. I can't even see how stream of consciousness in that conditions can justify the use of that musical elements.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 08/15/2012 20:28
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
If black metal creates those feelings the songs shouldn't incorporate the reactions to those feelings, namely shrieking and growling (I don't say that shrieking and growling is always bad and should be abandoned, but certainly that kind of specific musical element can't and shouldn't define a genre but should be originally used as an element of the poetic of pieces that can employ the sound as a part of the whole image not stuff every part of it with a thing that specific).

And as for the woods and winter, I cannot imagine how shrieking, growling and high-tempo and highly distorted riffs can help to depict those kind of sceneries, neither when you look at their eerie and dark side, nor when you consider them as a part of romantic and nostalgic image. I can't even see how stream of consciousness in that conditions can justify the use of that musical elements.

What??? Im actually not too what you're even trying to say...

How is growling a more "specific" element of musc than clean vocal singing? Furthermore if you think that shrieks define black metal than that's just ignorant. I'm just guessing that you haven't heard that much metal. "Stuff every part"? As if black metal is just one continuous shriek for 80min.

Black metal is not your childhood snowball fight and sledding kind of winter. Its as if you were lost in a blizzard with no chance of survival. The shrieks are intense and emotional. Something you'd expect if you were inches away from death.
  • Visit poster's website