Your story with music?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2011 20:24
  • Post subject: Your story with music?
How did you come to fall in love with music?

For me, I really never had a taste for it. I mean, I enjoyed some of the rap songs off my old Tony Hawk games, but that was about it. But when I was 12 years old, I woke up during a car ride to a CD my parents popped in. A few songs later I asked "what band is this?" and they told me: "Billy Joel." That was about the greatest music ever if you asked me. I listened to all the Billy Joel I could get my little hands on (not a lot, for I couldn't use the Internet). Then, finally, I got a radio alarm clock. That was about the greatest alarm clock ever if you asked me. I found a nice station that played hard rock and classic rock and that was my thing from then until my freshman year when my history teacher introduced me to something I didn't know existed: alternative rock music. It was one song: Weezer's "Pork and Beans" (yes, I know, not a very good one at all...) I loved it and it stuck with me. But again, no Internet. But one day in the car, I was flipping through radio station and, much to my surprise, found a station playing Pork and Beans! OMG! That station was G-Rock, and I loved it. It introduced me to so much awesome music. But one day, it died. I was listening as it was suddenly switched to a shitty top-40 format, without any type of warning. I cried. My life was gone. BUT WAIT! Then we got Internet service! Very Happy And I discovered that there is so much more to music than what's on the radio.

I still have a thing for classic and alternative rock, of course, but I'm more of an indie guy now I suppose. Then again, everything but country's good for me Cool
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/16/2011 21:13
  • Post subject:
I never used to really care about music. All I knew musically was stuff I heard my dad play, Led Zep, Ozzy/Sabbath and Queen. Two things changed this:
1: My eldest brother installed spotify onto my computer. I added a couple of stuff but this on it's own wasn't enough.

2: I discovered on a long drive upto lanchaster an old tape my dad made in the 80's by taping from his old vinyls. It was simply called Human. here are the songs on it:

Paths And Angles - Ultravox
The Voice - Ultravox
I Am The Law - Human League
The Things That Dreams Are Made Of - The Human League
Being Boiled - The Human League
Empire State Human - The Human League
Heaven Can Wait - Meat Loaf
Light My Fire - The Doors
Under Pressure - Queen + David Bowie
Temptation - Heaven 17
We Don't Need This Facist Groove Thang - Heaven 17
Some other synthpop song whose name completely escapes me.

From this, and searching songs I already knew on Spotify I slowly got into music. From the acts on the tape i got into more synthpop songs and then into the creators of the genre, Kraftwerk. From them I got into krautrock and The Velvet Underground and onwards... I was rather sad when i found out that the tape broke after about 27 years of use.

And that's how it happened.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/18/2011 02:25
  • Post subject:
When I was 1 year-old, my father bought Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness. My first memories are of listening to that album. It was wonderful. Still my favourite album to this day.

My dad was fundamentally opposed to children's music, so I pretty much listened to whatever he listened to growing up. The Smiths, Jane's Addiction, Andrew Lloyd Webber, The Cure, Genesis, Les Miserables, Run-DMC, Jesus & Mary Chain, David Bowie, The Tragically Hip, Queen, The Clash, The Cars, Boney M, Cat Stevens, XTC and the early White Stripes to name a few that I remember prominently...

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 08/18/2011 03:32
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
When I was 1 year-old, my father bought Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness. My first memories are of listening to that album. It was wonderful. Still my favourite album to this day.

My dad was fundamentally opposed to children's music, so I pretty much listened to whatever he listened to growing up. The Smiths, Jane's Addiction, Andrew Lloyd Webber, The Cure, Genesis, Les Miserables, Run-DMC, Jesus & Mary Chain, David Bowie, The Tragically Hip, Queen, The Clash, The Cars, Boney M, Cat Stevens, XTC and the early White Stripes to name a few that I remember prominently...

You have a cool dad

Mellon Collie is great listening material for a child As well.
purple

• Posted: 08/18/2011 03:44
  • Post subject:
My dad listened to yacht rock, one of my sisters listened to metal and grunge, another sister listened to skater/pop punk, another sister listened to pop, another sister listened to reggae and grunge.

I started out with listening mainly to Rage Against the Machine, then moved to grunge, then moved to hardcore punk throughout middle and high school. When I got to college I decided I would listen to as much as I could from any respectable albums chart I could find, so my tastes spread rapidly (RS, NME, Pfork, cool users on BEA). Now I get into a relatively obscure genre or vein of music, explore it for a few months, then move on; and of course I still get albums based on what pops up on a few users charts on this site (mostly joannajewsom (RIP), theharrisonfords (RIP), CellarDoor, and joyofdivision... and sometimes others).
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 08/18/2011 03:49
  • Post subject:
Early formative parental input for me was Mark Knopfler, Cat Stevens, Simon & Garfunkel and The Corrs. Not a bad start, imo.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 08/18/2011 03:51
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:

Mellon Collie is great listening material for a child As well.

Laughing
nicely done.

Anyway my music story:

Once upon a time I was walking through a meadow when suddenly a bolt of lightning struck the tip of my penis. Suddenly I heard a voice "RARRRRRR" I realised it was my penis talking with it's pee-hole...or was it?....
"JHEREKO....this is Zeus!"
"mmmk"
"The god of Thunderererer!!!, go forth and listen to....Bon Iver"
"Really Bon Iver? You seem more like a Megadeth kinda guy"
"DON'T STERYOTYPE ME"
"No, no you're right you have as much right to listen to heartbreaking Wisconsinian breezy folk as the next guy. Unless the next guy is Ares."
"DID SOMEONE MENTION MY NAME!?"
"SHUT THE FUCK UP HAIRIES!"
"WHAT? YOU WANT TO FIGHT WITH THE GOD OF WAR YOU LITTLE BITCH ZEUS!?"
"I AM YOUR KING NOW GO BACK TO SLEEP! Sorry about that Jhereko you know how its having constantly raging hormones"
"No"
"Well I-"
"No"
"Okay I have a list down here for you to listen to"
"Okay let's have a lookie here...Four Tet? okay...Queens Of The Stone Age...Fleetwood Mac. Wait - how do I know I'll even like this stuff?"
"Jhereko I have bestowed upon you the greatest taste in music that has ever and will ever be known by man."
"Really?"
"Really really. Now go forth and spread the word of how great the music You listen to is.."
"Goodbye Zeus! Goodbyyyeeeee I'll never forget you!"

and then my penis went back to normal (well as normal as it was before, which isn't really normal at all) and all was right with the world.

FIN
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 08/18/2011 03:53
  • Post subject:
A+
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 08/18/2011 03:57
  • Post subject:
Jhereko, if you had the greatest taste in music you'd realize Bjork is shit
mooseboy101