joyofdivision

• Posted: 10/20/2011 08:38
  • Post subject: The Resurrection of The Stone Roses

Link

Link

Mr. Green

• Posted: 10/20/2011 08:48
  • Post subject:
I have very mixed feelings about this reunion...

I love love love the Stone Roses, saw them 3 times (Hacienda, Ally Pally and Spike Island) at the end of the 80s/early 90s. They weren't a great live band but but but for me they are the band of my youth and will always be brilliant!

fast forward 20 odd years and the boys are now well into middle age and I am worried that they won't be able to reproduce the spark that make 'The Stone Roses' one of the best albums ever. This reunion could go either way. If they are fabulous all is good and they will be lauded, if they are crap then it will tarnish the whole band/experience and the memory of what was!

Dunno - mixed! (But Joy if you are going to the concert, I really hope you have an amazing time - Smile )
joyofdivision

• Posted: 10/20/2011 09:18
  • Post subject:
I had the same misgivings when I first heard about it, but the chance to go and see The Roses again with 80,000 like-minded fans will definitely be a gig not to miss. Their final gigs 15 years ago were a shambles, with only Ian and Mani left from the original four lads, so this time it will definitely be great to see all four hopefully putting on a decent show, and I'm sure the crowd will help out Ian with the vocals Smile
daveybaker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/20/2011 10:55
  • Post subject:
Mixed feelings also. Could well be a triumph, but I have a feeling that it will be an overpriced shambles. Obviously hoping for the former, and yes, I will be going if I can get a ticket.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2011 11:46
  • Post subject:
I don't have mixed feelings. This is a band with unfinished business. Although I would love an opportunity to see them live, I'm more curious to see what they'll produce in the studio. They only made two albums. We need more!

Wow! I always wanted this day to happen, but had begun to think it never would. I'm astounded by this news! Thanks for posting this. Is it me, does it seem like Reni feels kind of ambivalent about the reunion?
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/20/2011 23:58
  • Post subject:
Reni probably doesn't want to have to wear that hat again. Laughing
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 10/21/2011 00:16
  • Post subject:
I'm really excited for this. I hope they don't go the super expensive ticket way of doing it. Praying to god they come to somewhere near DC. I've also read they're going to make a new album. Is this official or just rumors?
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/21/2011 10:13
  • Post subject:
I'm with MSS on this one...

The reason that perhaps one may consider them to have 'unfinished business' is that they never reached the heights of their debut LP with The Second Coming, and instead decided to disappear down John Squire's "How To Play Led Zeppelin in a day" easy-chord songbook route instead of playing the same sort of white-boy-indie-wah-wah-funk and reversing songs to make new ones (c.f Don't Stop and Simone) that marked them apart from their peers in the first place.

If this is going to work, they need to retain their attitude. Remember how at their peak they were more about NOT talking to journos and staying aloof to retain their mystique? Somehow in this day-and-age of mass Internet exposure (I must have had about 30 News Feed items about this on Facebook already) I can't see this happening... and they were far too nice in the press conference - I expected at least one of the press to get the Jackson Pollock paint-splat treatment.

However, with British guitar music disappearing down the drain at an alarming rate maybe they NEED to come back to save us. Mind you, I'd be far more excited if MBV recorded a new LP rather than The Stone Roses... assuming Kevin Shields doesn't take another 20 years to get off his arse...

...of course, if Cressa is involved, it'll be the best comeback EVER. Probably.
  • Visit poster's website
daveybaker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/21/2011 10:30
  • Post subject:
Tickets went on sale at 0930 today for £55. All 150,000 sold in 14 mins. I was not one of the lucky ones. Very pissed off to see them on sale on the internet straight away for £180.
  • Visit poster's website
joyofdivision

• Posted: 10/21/2011 16:09
  • Post subject:
Managed to get mine at 10.15 after they added a third date Very Happy

If I find out about any spare tickets, I'll let you know davey