This message deserves its own thread...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 10/22/2012 19:16
  • Post subject: This message deserves its own thread...
... although some might disagree. But It really does deserve it's own thread. It's a simple one too. Goes like this:

2012 has been a fantastic year for music albums.

There is 2 months and a bit to go but even if it gave nothing until new years day, it still given more than enough. 'Grimes' and 'Jack White' put out two solo albums worlds apart but as appealing as the other. Both 'Fiona Apple' and 'Muse' have gone into innovative new territory and kept their charm. 'Grizzly Bear' did something weird but put on one hell of atmosphere which has me thinking it was a grower. The brilliant 'Django Django' were found. 'The Men' and 'Japandroids' provided loud guitar music while 'Sleigh Bells' bloomed further with their electronic take. 'Cloud Nothings' awesome, 'Death Grips' exuberating, 'The Maccabees' dream world, 'Bruce Springsteen' triumphant, 'Metric' shiny, 'Chairlift' tantalizing.

Some of my favorite artists have also put out great albums. 'Rush' although I have only listened to the first 3 songs since I got it months back (lost the CD too!) are at the top of their game, album looks very promising! 'The Cribs' come back from a rather weak album with what might their second best in my book while 'Billy Talent' continued refining their songwriting skills while turning up the amps again. 'No Doubt'... had this great come back single, some of the other songs are pretty good.

Still have the Swans, Frank Ocean, Animal Collective, Tame Impala, Chromatics, The xx from the big albums of the year to listen. Expecting big things from most of those!

How has the year been in the world of Hip hop, metal, pop music etc? I can't really speak for any of those as my listening is limited to a few songs and albums at best.

Remember 50 years ago when there was a year called 1962? That wasn't a bad year for music as well. In fact, great things were beginning to stir that year. Perhaps the only problem with this current year is there hasn't been an explosion or a spark, just occasional lumps of greatness rolling by. Well remember all the albums we got in the 5-7 years after 1962? Could you imagine that on a much larger scale? One where the world connected could have an artist put an album up as a free download without a seconds warning? One where more people stop blindly shunning genres and listen to music for what it is worth? Could you even imagine a world where those guitar bands... well... stop taking themselves too seriously and record album after album of great music!? Could you imagine?

Believe!
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 10/22/2012 19:21
  • Post subject:
All true. Beach House put their best album out too, IMO.

But yeah, I agree something big's brewing for music. I'm hoping 2012 is just the tip of the iceberg to come. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 10/23/2012 04:41
  • Post subject:
truth, stay positive.

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/23/2012 05:34
  • Post subject:
I regret to say that I've found this year rather disappointing in the music world. However, you mentioned Rush; Clockwork Angels is by leaps and bounds their best album since 1989's Presto. I hope to see them pump out a few more classics before they retire Very Happy
Mirek

Poland

• Posted: 10/23/2012 06:47
  • Post subject:
It's not bad year, but fantastic (?) it's far too early to say it. Of Course I found a few good albums and I found new bands and I hope to find more, but I will able to say that they are fantastic after some time in the future.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 10/23/2012 07:05
  • Post subject:
I think those that don't think this is an awesome year may not be trying hard enough. It really is great.

For metal it's been unreal. Be'lakor (Of Breath and Bone), Converge (All We Love We Leave Behind), Ne Obliviscaris (Portal of I), AtomA (Skylight), Wintersun (Time I), Blut Aus Nord (Cosmosophy), Lunar Aurora (Hoagascht) have released awesome albums. High on Fire, Drudkh, Hour of Penance, Spawn of Possession have also released good ones. And I still have to hear Enslaved, Cattle Decapitation, Between the Bured and Me, Panopticon, Dordeduh. Also Kamelot's new album is looking to be humdinger too! So good!

And pop has also had some notable releases. Carly Rae Jepsen and Nicki's albums are amongst the best of the year, and Ke$ha and Rihanna have albums coming out too. Purity Ring, Alt-J, Wild Nothing, Hot Chip, Frankie Rose have great albums for a more "indie" pop.

As for rap, Nezzle can probs give a solid list, but I've quite enjoyed Gift of Gab, Aesop Rock and Death Grips' (Money Store) new albums.

So ya. 2012. Listen and love.

(Oh and thanks Outlaw for making this thread and possibly marketing my future teams for the year tourny Mr. Green )
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/23/2012 16:33
  • Post subject:
So yeah, this year has been fucking radical for hip-hop. Here's my roundup, as I am the forum's premier hip-hop head (I don't even care how arrogant that sounds, y'all know it's true):

In Life Is Good, we've had the God MC Nas' strongest album in a decade (and arguably since Illmatic), and the first grown-up mainstream hip-hop album to boot.

Underground legend El-P has had a hand in two brilliant albums - handling production for Killer Mike's awesome, politically charged R.A.P. Music (capturing the anger and energy of Public Enemy), as well as his own claustrophobic, nightmarish Cancer 4 Cure.

It's already been mentioned by Necharsian, but Aesop Rock's Skelethon was highly impressive. I sometimes find Aes comes across as having ideas above his station, but Skelethon is his best release so far. Musically it's cohesive, and lyrically there is nobody else around like him.

West Coast legend E-40 continued his prolific output with the incredibly fun three-volume Block Brochure - a highly ambitious paean to hustling and the classic Bay Area sound that he has championed for over two decades.

Also on the West Coast, two generations of conscious rappers in Murs and Fashawn joined forces to release This Generation, an enjoyable and sincere collaborative effort that appeased fans of both artists.

Continuing the West Coast theme, the Black Hippy collective truly used 2012 to show why they are arguably the most exciting and talented hip-hop crew to emerge in years - ScHoolboy Q released his sophmore effort Habits & Contradictions to widespread acclaim, Ab-Soul stepped out of his crewmates' shadow to showcase his immense lyricism on debut Control System, and Kendrick Lamar (the crew's undoubted standout star) released his major label debut good kid, m.A.A.d city a couple of days ago, full of stunning beats and brilliantly assembled cautionary tales for, and about, our generation.

Speaking of rap crews, there were two brilliant genre-pieces released by Raider Klan members this year - SpaceGhostPurrp's Mysterious Phonk and the awesomely-named Lil Ugly Mane's Mista Thug Isolation, both essentially re-working Three 6 Mafia's dark southern sound for the post-OFWGKTA generation, but ramping up the horror tenfold.

And so, onto Odd Future. Enough has been said about Channel Orange, so I'm gonna focus on the strongest OF release this year - Domo Genesis' No Idols, produced entirely by The Alchemist (more on him later). Domo is easily the Most Improved Student in OFWGKTA's Yearbook. He's gone from Wiz Khalifa-esque weed-rap-by-numbers to being probably the second most impressive MC in the crew (after Earl - whose debut album proper I eagerly await). The kid has seriously stepped his game up, and for those who slept on this release, go and get it now. Just great beats and rhymes.

Also from OF this year, we've had MellowHype's major label debut Numbers, an enjoyable if somewhat restrained continuation of the themes outlined on their impressive 2010/2011 debut BlackenedWhite.

As for New York, they've been holding it down this year too. Styles P of Bad Boy alumni The LOX released The Diamond Life Project, an extremely strong, extremely gully mixtape showcasing why he's one of the most underrated rappers ever over a varied selection of beats.

Youngster Joey Bada$$ released 1999, a throwback to the era of jazzy boom-bap beats and intricate lyricism that reminded me of Binary Star and will appeal to fans of the golden era.

Flushing, Queens' Action Bronson teamed up with producer Party Supplies to release his Blue Chips mixtape, and the mix of spontaneous delivery, great story-telling and genuinely hilarious punchlines makes it one of the releases of the year, and cements Bronson's position as probably the most entertaining rapper around. Also, Bronson's friend and associate Meyhem Lauren released the impressive Respect The Fly Shit, produced entirely by the equally impressive Harry Fraud - who also happened to produce the enjoyable (if somewhat forgettable) Rugby Thompson by weed-rapper du jour Smoke DZA.

Brownsville's KA released Grief Pedigree, a dark, gully, wintery glimpse into New York street-life, a minimalist masterpiece of mood that is made all the more chilling by KA's hushed, concise delivery. Great, dark beats to boot.

Old-school legend Masta Ace released his genuinely charming and heartwarming concept album MA_DOOM: Soon of Yvonne, full of tales about growing up in late '70's New York, rapped exlusively over choice beats from MF Doom's brilliant Special Herbs instrumental collections.

Underground rapper Billy Woods evoked Cannibal Ox on his stunning opus History Will Absolve Me, which is a true standout in a year of (what you can see have been) great releases.

Even 50 Cent managed two very strong releases this year, his Gangsta Grillz' mixtape The Lost Tape and his online-only album 5: Murder By Numbers, both of which see Fiddy in full gully mode and (on the latter) spitting over some tasteful (yes, I know) beats.

Anyway, I said I'd get back to The Alchemist, so here he is. Russian Roulette is a stunning concept album, featuring beats built entirely around samples from Russian songs. It flows brilliantly, through the instrumental tracks and those featuring guest rappers (who include Danny Brown, Action Bronson, Meyhem Lauren, ScHoolboy Q, Roc Marciano, Guilty Simpson and Fashawn amongst others), and is a massively satisfying listen.

And speaking of legendary producers, there is of course the RZA-curated The Man With The Iron Fists OST, a very strong collection from a variety of rappers and groups that should not be missed. Certainly better than the "platter of mediocrity" (copyright mancsoulsister 2012) that was Kanye West and G.O.O.D. Music's Cruel Summer compilation.

MF Doom was back this year with his collaborative JJ DOOM project Keys to the Kuffs. Hardly a career-highlight, but any new Doom is always welcome.

Down South, Curren$y took his incredibly laid-back flow and raps about girls, weed and muscle cars to a whole new level on his major label debut The Stoned Immaculate. Lounge rap at it's best, and definitely one of my favourite releases of the year so far.

Also in the South, Big K.R.I.T. was responsible for two brilliant releases this year - free album 4eva and a Day and his Def Jam debut Live from the Underground. I preferred the latter, and I believe K.R.I.T. took full advantage of the major label funds at his disposal to make his Pimp C inspired beats sound truly organic, in the best way possible. Both are odes to the South, sonically and lyrically, and K.R.I.T.'s humble, everyman persona seems perfect for hip-hop in 2012.

From Philly, Lushlife's Plateau Vision is a great album, cloud-rap beats and very technically-able raps. Perhaps more impressively from Philly was 18-year-old GrandeMarshall's free album 800. The forward-thinking beats are uniformly brilliant and he lyrically bodies every track - the album earned him a deal with Fool's Gold, and I imagine there are great things to come from this kid. Keep an ear out.

Also from Philly, Has-Lo, Zilla Rocca and Curly Castro a.k.a. Wrecking Crew released their mixtape Wu-Tang Pulp, which does exactly what it says on the tin. Influenced by Wu-Tang classics and pulp fiction/film noir, the tape is a grimy homage to their heroes that is executed extremely well.

Going back to the West now for my second favourite release of the year so far, Blu & Exile's long awaited follow-up to their 2007 classic Below The Heavens, called Give Me My Flowers While I Can Smell Them. Musically and lyrically, this album is as vulnerable as any hip-hop album I've ever heard. It was released for free last year in extremely raw form, but re-released with added tracks and a significant remastering job last month. And it is stunning. Blu may be the best conscious rapper around at the moment, and he is certainly one of the most personal. The album is understated but totally immersive. If you haven't got it already, do so soon.

And my favourite hip-hop release of the year so far is Baby Face Killa by Freddie Gibbs. When it comes to gangsta rap, Gibbs is the last of the mohicans. He is the best rapper around at the moment. He goes over everything from trap beats to smooth, soulful jams to autotuned pop-rap and still comes out sounding hard as fuck. The man can do it with the best of them. There's an array of (very impressive) guests, and yet Gibbs bodies every single one. Genuinely the album I've listened to the most this year, and hearing it still makes me want to start pulling up lamposts. Just go and download it, it is quite simply stunning - a throwback to an era where gangsta rap was everything, but with a sound that's entirely of 2012. Just awesome.

Anyway, my Top 20 Hip-Hop albums of 2012 so far:

20. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
19. Joey Bada$$ - 1999
18. Lushlife - Plateau Vision
17. Ab-Soul - Control System
16. ScHoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions
15. Styles P - The Diamond Life Project
14. Masta Ace - MA_DOOM: Son of Yvonne
13. Curren$y - The Stoned Immaculate
12. El-P - Cancer 4 Cure
11. GrandeMarshall - 800
10. Domo Genesis & The Alchemist - No Idols
9. KA - Grief Pedigree
8. E-40 - The Block Brochure: Welcome To The Soil Pts. 1, 2 & 3
7. Billy Woods - History Will Absolve Me
6. Nas - Life Is Good
5. Action Bronson & Party Supplies - Blue Chips
4. Big K.R.I.T. - Live from the Underground
3. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
2. Blu & Exile - Give Me My Flowers While I Can Smell Them
1. Freddie Gibbs - Baby Face Killa

And in case all of that wasn't enough, there's also new albums coming before the end of the year from Roc Marciano (for which I am sooooooo hyped), Styles P, Ghostface and Sheek Louche (under their Wu-Block moniker), 50 Cent (again), Philly Freeway, dead prez, Prodigy & The Alchemist (who, in case I haven't bigged him up enough, has been consistently the best hip-hop producer for like 18 months now), Action Bronson & The Alchemist, Sean Price (thank the lord), The Coup, two more albums by the ever prolific E-40 (and this time with another West Coast legend, Too $hort, in tow), Buckshot & 9th Wonder (let's hope they can recapture some of the chemistry that made, erm, Chemistry so great), Murs & 9th Wonder (let's hope they can recapture some of the chemistry that made Murs 3:16 so great - although that's doubtful considering how mediocre their subsequent collaborations have been), Ghostface & Adrian Younge (the release I'm most looking forward to, obviously - with the possible exception of the aforementioned Styles P, Roc Marci and Action Bronson & The Alchemist albums), Talib Kweli and Juicy J (whose 'Bandz A Make Her Dance' single is definitely my favourite ignorant rap song of the year).

So yeah, 2012 has been the shit.

EDIT: I bumped Kendrick up to third after listening to the album like 20 times. It is a stunning, cohesive album.

Last edited by Guest on 10/24/2012 12:10; edited 3 times in total
jhuik
BOSS

Canada

• Posted: 10/23/2012 17:02
  • Post subject:
I have to agree that 2012 has been a good year, probably the best of the decade imho, too. On my decade list 2012 has more albums than '11 or '10 and there are still two months left, plus a lot I have not discovered. In addition to the mentions above, I would shout out First Aid Kit, the Shins, Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, Best Coast, Billy Talent, the xx and the Chromatics all for putting out really solid albums that I am still savouring.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/23/2012 17:28
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:

20. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
19. Joey Bada$$ - 1999
18. Lushlife - Plateau Vision
17. Ab-Soul - Control System
16. ScHoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions
15. Styles P - The Diamond Life Project
14. Masta Ace - MA_DOOM: Son of Yvonne
13. Curren$y - The Stoned Immaculate
12. El-P - Cancer 4 Cure
11. GrandeMarshall - 800
10. Domo Genesis & The Alchemist - No Idols
9. KA - Grief Pedigree
8. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
7. E-40 - The Block Brochure: Welcome To The Soil Pts. 1, 2 & 3
6. Billy Woods - History Will Absolve Me
5. Nas - Life Is Good
4. Action Bronson & Party Supplies - Blue Chips
3. Big K.R.I.T. - Live from the Underground
2. Blu & Exile - Give Me My Flowers While I Can Smell Them
1. Freddie Gibbs - Baby Face Killa

Don't wanty to quote it all, but terrific input, nezzle. Thanks, I'll be checking what I haven't heard (most actually).
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/23/2012 17:37
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Don't wanty to quote it all, but terrific input, nezzle. Thanks, I'll be checking what I haven't heard (most actually).

No worries, it was actually quite fun remembering what I'd listened to as I went back over the year's releases. Hopefully by the end of the year there will have been enough good releases for a Top 50.