SMiLE

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
joannajewsom

• Posted: 07/26/2009 13:01
  • Post subject: SMiLE
How do you guys feel about the lost Beach Boys album, later recorded by Brian Wilson in 2004? If anyone has heard any bootleg versions (I have the Purple Chick reconstruction), what are your thoughts on it? Had it been completed and released in '67, what kind of impact do you think it would have had?
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/26/2009 13:41
  • Post subject:
i've heard the 2004 version start-to-finish and some of the tracks from the bootleg reconstruction (i have both).. i can't say that i'm particularly enthralled by any of it.. i guess it was the next stage in brian wilson's burgeoning production vision, but for me it was lacking the kind of inspired, timeless melodies he'd crafted previously

i definitely think he was aiming for a kind of epic, larger-than-life bombast in the vein of sgt peppers, but paul mccartney and nervous degeneration beat him to it.. who knows, it may well have been revered to that extent aswell, but i personally think it's best he's remembered for pet sounds - the pinaccle in pop, surf pop and the ultimate expression of everything he'd ever done before..
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2009 16:24
  • Post subject:
I listened to SMiLE repeatedly in the summer of 05. It was an album that received critical praise and many awards and some commercial success (the video did better). While I still own it, I don't think I have listened to it since. If I want to listen to The Beach Boys, I’ll choose Pet Sounds. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 07/26/2009 17:39
  • Post subject:
Well, it's definitely no Pet Sounds-- nothing is like Pet Sounds-- but I think it still has a few melodic gems on there. I can't help but think it would have turned the world on its head, had it been released. The bootleg is up there with my top ten pop albums, and it wasn't even finished. It's definitely the earliest album deserving of the progressive pop label.

I like the 2004 version, but let's face it, Brian's voice ain't what it used to be. I still think it's great, though.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 07/26/2009 18:10
  • Post subject:
I have the "Smiley Smile" and "Wild Honey" CD.

"Smiley Smile" might not be the ultimate achievement in pop as Brian Wilson intended, but I like the quirky light-hearted feel to the album.

It does lack coherence in structure and production, but not exactly the failure you could expect.
"Pet Sounds" was near impossible to top anyway.

vege, vege, vege, tables Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2009 18:21
  • Post subject:
There's definitely great moments on Smile. Heroes and Villains is a great song. So is Surf's up. I have a soft spot for Cabin Essence too. For 1967, I think you can argue the structure of the songs and song cycles was kind of a new approach for pop music in 1967. As for 2005 though, it wasn't quite as ingenious or innovative anymore. Overall, I think Smile is more a testament to Wilson's eccentricity than to his genius. Then again, its' been said that there's a thin line between madness and genius.

Last edited by Mr. Shankly on 07/26/2009 18:25; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 07/26/2009 18:25
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor, SMiLE shares a few tracks with those two releases, but they're different projects. Smiley Smile wasn't intended to be Brian's ultimate achievement in pop. Did you mean to say SMiLE? SMiLE was abandoned and they released Smiley Smile instead.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2009 18:33
  • Post subject:
joannajewsom wrote:
CellarDoor, SMiLE shares a few tracks with those two releases, but they're different projects. Smiley Smile wasn't intended to be Brian's ultimate achievement in pop. Did you mean to say SMiLE? SMiLE was abandoned and they released Smiley Smile instead.

I don't know if you were asking me, but my take on it is, there's Smiley Smile (not to mention countless Smile bootlegs) with the Beach Boys and the 2005 Smile with the Wondermints and others. I own both Smiley Smile and Smile and although different groups play on them, it's all part of the same project and was/is basically Brian Wilson's baby. So I think of both records as parts of the same entity.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2009 18:37
  • Post subject:
Oops. I now see you were addressing Cellar Door. Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 07/26/2009 18:49
  • Post subject:
I'm aware that "SMiLE" and "Smiley Smile" are different entities, but from what I gather, Brian Wilson never managed to finish the much-hyped "SMiLE" project in reasonable production time, only to release "Smiley Smile" instead (with the songs he had already completed for "SMiLE").

I don't think they are 2 independant projects, but just one that misfired.

Mr. Shankly, your post was very confusing..
  • Visit poster's website