Beatles Remasters

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2009 18:55
  • Post subject: Beatles Remasters
I know there are a lot of Beatles fans on here, so I just want to know who plans to get the remasters? What are your thoughts on the stereo vs. mono debate? Anyone getting the box set? Apparently, the mono albums are only available in a box set. Anyone getting the Beatles Rock Band video game?

As for me, money is tight right now, but I'll probably get the Revolver remaster when it comes out.

I'd also like this to be a thread to talk about what we think about the sound quality of the new CD's (and possibly mp3's if the Itunes rumors are true) since remastering can sometimes be an iffy proposition with sound limiting and compression and all that. All the reviews so far though say the sound is amazing. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Ironic Karma

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2009 00:19
  • Post subject:
I'm not a big fan of re-masters, I could care less if it's stereo or mono.

I do indeed plan to buy Rock Band: The Beatles though, I'm in love with Rock Band and Rock Band 2, they're great fun for everyone. I love the idea of playing some good songs instead of playing all the stupid metal songs they put on there which are just impossible a not fun.

It will be a step up from the original Rock Band and the second one, they're bringing every single side of The Beatles; the early underground era, the Ed Sullivan Show era, the instrumental experimental era, and the more secretive and heavy era.

Here's the set list and what scenerio you will be playing at:

"A Hard Day's Night" - Ed Sullivan Theater
"And Your Bird Can Sing" - Budokan
"Back In the U.S.S.R." - Abbey Road Studios
"Birthday" - Abbey Road Studios
"Boys" - Cavern Club
"Can't Buy Me Love" - Ed Sullivan Theater
"Come Together" - Abbey Road Studios
"Day Tripper" - Budokan
"Dear Prudence" - Abbey Road Studios
"Dig a Pony" - Rooftop Concert
"Do You Want To Know A Secret" - Cavern Club
"Don't Let Me Down" - Rooftop Concert
"Drive My Car" - Budokan
"Eight Days A Week" - Shea Stadium
"Get Back" - Rooftop Concert
"Getting Better" - Abbey Road Studios
"Good Morning Good Morning" - Abbey Road Studios
"Hello Goodbye" - Abbey Road Studios
"Helter Skelter" - Abbey Road Studios
"Here Comes the Sun" - Abbey Road Studios
"Hey Bulldog" - Abbey Road Studios
"I Am The Walrus" - Abbey Road Studios
"I Feel Fine" - Shea Stadium
"I Me Mine" - Rooftop Concert
"I Saw Her Standing There" - Cavern Club
"I Want To Hold Your Hand" - Ed Sullivan Theater
"I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Rooftop Concert
"I Wanna Be Your Man" - Ed Sullivan Theater
"If I Needed Someone" - Shea Stadium
"I'm Looking For You" - Shea Stadium
"I've Got a Feeling" - Rooftop Concert
"Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" - Abbey Road Studios
"Octopus's Garden" - Abbey Road Studios
"Paperback Writer" - Budokan
"Revolution" - Abbey Road Studios
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With a Little Help From My Friends" - Abbey Road Studios
"Something" - Abbey Road Studios
"Taxman" - Budokan
"Ticket To Ride" - Shea Stadium
"Twist and Shout" - Cavern Club
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - Abbey Road Studios
"Within Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows" - Abbey Road Studios
"Yellow Submarine" - Abbey Road Studios

All the Abbey Road Studio performances will have a little thing where they go off onto a little "psychedelic" trip relating to that song, like for example Octopus's Garden will have you playing underwater for a bit and other stuff.
"

Last edited by Ironic Karma on 09/08/2009 22:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2009 18:10
  • Post subject:
Some of the remasters have started to appear on You Tube, and even compressed for computer, they sound really good on a pair of headphones. I'm thinking they are going to be worth the money. If you go to You Tube and type in "Beatles 2009 Remastered," you should find them. My thanks to whoever uploaded them. Abbey Road sounds incredible! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2009 19:13
  • Post subject:
I will probably buy some of The Beatles remastered stereo albums but haven't made up my mind about The Beatles: Rock Band for xbox360 yet. Not in a rush for either.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 09/13/2009 18:49
  • Post subject:
Got the "Abbey Road" remaster.

Just try the brass on "Carry That Weight" : it's awesome.
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2009 16:25
  • Post subject:
As I've yet to upgrade my Beatles tapes to CDs (aside from Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour), I'll probably pick up a few of the remasters when I get around to them. I'd like to get Revolver, Let It Be, Help!, and A Hard Day's Night in the near future, and Sgt. Pepper's, the white album, and the non-studio album Hey Jude at some point after that. I'll get Beatles For Sale, Meet The Beatles/With The Beatles, and whichever other albums I'm forgetting (i.e. Yellow Submarine) after that. But Lord only knows when that'll be.
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2009 22:56
  • Post subject:
Charicature wrote:
As I've yet to upgrade my Beatles tapes to CDs (aside from Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour), I'll probably pick up a few of the remasters when I get around to them. I'd like to get Revolver, Let It Be, Help!, and A Hard Day's Night in the near future, and Sgt. Pepper's, the white album, and the non-studio album Hey Jude at some point after that. I'll get Beatles For Sale, Meet The Beatles/With The Beatles, and whichever other albums I'm forgetting (i.e. Yellow Submarine) after that. But Lord only knows when that'll be.

I don't think you can get Hey Jude on CD unless it was in the Capitol Records volume two series. Past Masters volume 2 is pretty similar in its tracklisting. In fact, it's arguably better. I picked up Revolver and it sounds incredible.
  • Visit poster's website
murdock_james

• Posted: 09/15/2009 00:20
  • Post subject: Don't fall for this blatant misuse of Wacko's assets
I wondered, not for long, what the reason could possibly be for the release of all the remastered Beatles albums, and the new console game. There was no anniversary of any note coming up; no Beatle-influenced new music on the scene that has blown people away to the extent that they feel the need to buy the entire back catalogue of the "Fab Four"; neither Ringo nor Sir Paul have died recently. Someone who has though, is the King of Pop, Mr Michael Jackson. Someone who has left an estate worth an incomprehensible sum, an estate whose debts barely make a dent in it's fortune, and, illuminatingly, an estate of which a large percentage is made up of the ownership of 50% of the Beatles back catalogue.

Who is profiting from this? Which one of the money-hungry Jackson clan are the brains behind the operation that has sucked in so many, when the real reason goes drastically unnoticed by the media, music fans and gullible nostalgic hippies?

BUY THE ENTIRE BEATLES COLLECTION, REMASTERED!
BUY THE NEW BEATLES GUITAR HERO!
IGNORE THE REAL REASON BEHIND THE UNEXPECTED RELEASE!

Wacko would be spinning in his grave.
  • Visit poster's website
AngryAchilles

• Posted: 09/15/2009 17:35
  • Post subject:
Um I'm pretty sure the new Beatles releases were in production WAY before MJ died. Also, these new remastered CDs are hyped because the Beatles haven't inundated the market with shoddy "remastered" versions every three years like many greedy studio execs would have liked them to. It's been more than twenty years since the albums were remastered, and technology has gotten a lot better since then, theoretically making this remastering job a good idea (that is, if the remasters genuinely sound better).
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 09/16/2009 15:41
  • Post subject:
AngryAchilles wrote:
Um I'm pretty sure the new Beatles releases were in production WAY before MJ died. Also, these new remastered CDs are hyped because the Beatles haven't inundated the market with shoddy "remastered" versions every three years like many greedy studio execs would have liked them to. It's been more than twenty years since the albums were remastered, and technology has gotten a lot better since then, theoretically making this remastering job a good idea (that is, if the remasters genuinely sound better).

The game would have had to be in production around 2 years ago at least. Moreover, Jackson owned the rights to SOME of the Beatles back catalogue, but I believe had to sell a partial stake to Sony to raise cash. And the rights didn't include the rights to the Beatles' likenesses, which I'm sure the surviving Beatles and estates of the other two own themselves. So the motivation to remaster the albums was probably because they're getting old and new technology is available to revive them, and meanwhile the game designers probably came up with that project (and, uh, yeah - profit's the motive, they're in business) and a marketer probably came up with the idea to release the remastered CDs at the same time as the game or vice versa to help spread the promotion cost and create more hype.