The Piper at the Gates of Dawn as the best album ever?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 01/04/2013 05:55
  • Post subject: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn as the best album ever?
Been seeing this get a lot of acclaim lately, not necessarily on here but just in general. A lot of people now call it PF's best album, some even call it the best album ever made.

I don't quite see eye-to-eye with these people, but I can definitely understand it as a choice. It's a fucking powerhouse of a debut album and every song is amazing. What I'm interested in is whether or not there are people here who agree with the sentiment that TPatGoD is the best ever. Or, at least, people who, like me, get where the people who say this are coming from.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 01/04/2013 06:03
  • Post subject:
It's great. I don't think Syd Barrett is a musical genius though, like some have said.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 01/04/2013 06:06
  • Post subject:
Like it a lot, closest thing to equating the experience of being on acid in a british provinical town... or not, who knows, probably just talking bollocks. Anyways very good album though like calling any album the greatest ever you're statement becomes an easy target. Different Love the kinks
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 01/04/2013 07:56
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
Like it a lot, closest thing to equating the experience of being on acid in a british provinical town... or not, who knows, probably just talking bollocks. Anyways very good album though like calling any album the greatest ever you are statement becomes an easy target. Different Love the kinks

Are you sure you mean that?

Anyway, "The Piper" is pretty overrated, not thinking so much about rankings, but people talk about it like it was way better than "The Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall". Apparently "The Piper" has got more, excuse me for the word, hipster-value! Don't know what the big deal about Syd Barrett is. People are insane!
Saoirse

• Posted: 01/04/2013 08:12
  • Post subject:
tip: alcohol makes day and post better thanks professor but i know the school of hard knocks aint easy to master i prefer frank zappa
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2013 09:33
  • Post subject:
most likely the best album made with Englishmen in velvet suits.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 01/04/2013 09:51
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:

Anyway, "The Piper" is pretty overrated, not thinking so much about rankings, but people talk about it like it was way better than "The Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall". Apparently "The Piper" has got more, excuse me for the word, hipster-value! Don't know what the big deal about Syd Barrett is. People are insane!

Roger Waters is about important to the devolpment of rock music in the way that GARY seemed to be about the devolpment of proper forum conduct given both were before my time so maybe Im just talking bollaocks #beautiful

drunk translator: roger waters importance to rock music is grossly overstated, like any band that gets one of their albums on some greatest of all-time list and it may only seem like that's not the case here on the forums, maybe cause were dirty hipsters who prefer acid english rock to monolithic odes to self-pity... donno. whatevs Im just trolling and am jealous of Roger Waters, a true visionary genius who lets us know exactly everything that's going inside his head in the tune of bloated and self-important concept albums... I prefer Piper and everything else sounds good but feels like nobody but Waters and Floyd really needed to hear it, but that's just one's wine-addled opinion... many beg to differ and that's fine, nobody's more wrong than the others. but still go Piper

Last edited by Saoirse on 01/04/2013 10:02; edited 1 time in total
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 01/04/2013 09:53
  • Post subject:
I'm not sure why it took people so long to realize that Piper is the best. It is one of the best choices for best album ever there could be.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 01/04/2013 10:04
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:

Piper is better than Wall and Dark Side. Every song on it is better than almost any song on either of those other two.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/04/2013 10:05
  • Post subject:
And I'm not sure why people don't realize Tokio Hotel is so much better than Pink Floyd...