Reflections on Indie Rock and Getting Older

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2009 03:34
  • Post subject: Reflections on Indie Rock and Getting Older
So I was originally going to post this as a response in the Merriweather Post Pavilion thread, but I realized I my thoughts were leading in the direction of its own topic. I had a stark realization today that might relate to my lack of enjoyment of the record so far. To put this in context, I just read an essay on Pitchfork about the current state of indie rock. Here it is, if you want to check it out:

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/...-in-indie/

Anyway, if that writer is right and there's two distinct indie camps, I am probably in the "nice" and relatively "safe" camp mostly in terms of my taste nowadays. In other words, at the end of a long day with teenagers I'm much more likely to relax with The National (an interesting, but mostly pleasant and mellow band) than something like Animal Collective's MPP. And in that sense, I'm starting to wonder if what I once thought was cutting edge (stuff like Guided by Voices, Liz Phair, Belle and Sebastian or even The Shins) has become passe and if I am in danger of getting old in that sense. My personal feeling is indie rock as a genre has gotten stale, but I say that knowing I'm probably not as hip to the newest thing as I once was. I mean I got The Fleet Foxes record and enjoyed it, but let's face it, it's mostly a throwback to an earlier time. And this it part of the problem with indie rock (and other genres as well). It keeps recycling the past. Anyways, I am starting to listen to my indie rock in smaller doses while appreciating older rock and soul and a variety of genres like jazz and world music. Indie just doesn't hold as much sway for me anymore. Furthermore, I fear that stuff like Yo La Tengo or Wilco could become (or already be) the Eagles of my generation.

So, I guess I'm raising a couple of questions for discussion. If you are/were a fan of indie rock, what do you think about the current state of the genre? How does musical taste change for you as you get older or enter different stages of your life? Or does it? In case you're wondering, I'm 37 and I realize my musical preferences are starting to change or maybe they're stuck in a safe comfortable rut while the teens and 20-somethings are enraptured by the next cutting edge band-- a wonderful new thing that they "get, "but I don't. Sad
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2009 03:50
  • Post subject:
I find my tastes in music evolving but not forgetting the past either. I try to stay current with the music of the day. When I was younger I liked some music more than others, the same is true today. Sometimes it is a bit harder to appreciate the new until you have heard it a few times (then it is no longer new!) I hope to ever increase my musical palate.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/07/2009 08:42
  • Post subject:
credit to anyone who continues to learn throughout life

it is an absolute phallacy that the brain loses it's neuro-plasticity.. it seems to me that so much of life is new when you're under 30 (or whatever number is relevant to you) that you are naturally learning new things all the time due to the evolving nature of your environment and understanding of it

however, it also seems to me that most people then become stuck in a routine which is inherently self-limiting and seldom seek out any of the alternate stimuli, knowledge and opinions that the world has to offer

and i think the reason older people find 'new' music so indifferent is probably because it isn't that new anyway. when you've heard the same scales, riffs, licks, tunes, motifs, lyrics recycled for 40 odd years, what's new? kings of leon, fleet foxes, ladyhawke etc.. all 'new' artists that i like.. but none of them doing anything 'new' at all

the other problem is that by this point the mind has probably been conditioned by repetition and social factors into a staunch pattern of musical preferences.. so upon its exposure to something genuinely new, it has a tendency to recoil and reject it.. for example, if i'd heard trout mask replica for the first few years of my life or as an impressionable teenager vying for social acceptance, it might've topped my list today

anyway, i think the key to learning is emotional involvement.. babies/children learn quickly because their survival depends on it.. and by survival i also mean social acceptance/ego validation

the mind is incredibly powerful throughout life though, just check out a few NLP videos on youtube.. when you can speak directly to the mind, without all the emotional blockages, you can - in an instant - memorize entire books just by flipping through them, learn to see red as green, pretty much anything
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/07/2009 12:19
  • Post subject:
We don't get old, we just get free of the oppressions of peer group and social tastes, and develop our own tastes. Personally I think this makes for a richer, more diverse musical experience... Perhaps the Indie question should be put to younger music fans, it's more relevant to them, It is after all, supposed to speak to their generation where as we can like whatever the hell we want, and blame it on the oldness!!!

I'm done with pitching my tent in this camp or the next.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 10/07/2009 16:08
  • Post subject:
I'm a great indie fan (check my chart if you doubt my word).

But I must confess, at the moment I'm getting overwhelmed by exciting OLD stuff (I'm plugged into Can's "Ege Bamyasi" while writing this).

Not that new releases aern't good (I thourouly enjoy MPP), but let's face it, they're not in the same league as the 90s/early 00s indie community (Mr Shankly points out Belle & Sebastian, The Shins, Liz Phair, all in my chart).

In the last decade, I haven't really one stand out indie album with a concept, a creative new sound and interesting lyrics. I guess only "Funeral" by Arcade Fire could fit that description.

I'm 24 and slightly disillusioned by the recent indie groups, getting more and more folky (in a bad way - if they were all Van Morrisons it would be different) and sticking to conventional productions. Could it be because the failing music industry is pushing artists to more bankable sounds (MPP's electro-pop is NOT surprising) ? (this probably is a rhetorical question anyhow).

Let's cut financially correct music, and hope there are still artists out there working on innovetive new sounds.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 10/07/2009 16:17
  • Post subject:
Oh ! My excuses for forgetting Sufjan Stevens. Great great artist !!!!
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/07/2009 16:57
  • Post subject:
if this thread is strictly indie, i have no business with it

apart from 80s rem, i'm not a fan
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2009 19:22
  • Post subject:
telefunker wrote:
if this thread is strictly indie, i have no business with it

apart from 80s rem, i'm not a fan

So, let me get this straight: You like the band that was one of the pioneers of indie rock, but you don't care for any of the bands that R.E.M. influenced or that came in their wake? Interesting.

No, this isn't necessarily a strictly indie only thread. Your post above was interesting and thought provoking.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 10/07/2009 21:48
  • Post subject:
And my APOLOGIES for my horrific frenglish : "my excuses" ???!!
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/07/2009 22:23
  • Post subject:
well yeah, r.e.m were pioneers, or torch bearers for the whole indie movement.. but nothing since them has really inspired me.. much the same with nirvana and the deluge of grunge/post grunge bands.. or michael jackson and the legions of ushers and neyos..