Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2022 02:14
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Hey Bay, nice to see you back in both games. Hope you're still doing well. How was the concert?

Thanks! Nice to be back. Unfortunately my partner wasn't feeling well, so we didn't make it :/

LedZep wrote:
Continuing with the good stuff I've recently heard live as it's convenient and the easiest to remember:

Sam Pravm by Balans

It's Slovenian minimalistic... something. Post punk with poppy melodies? Dark indie? Excellent live, the frontwoman has great energy and the trio transforms their minimalistic songs into consistently groovy and interesting mini-jams in a live setting.

I really like this album. Very potent, interesting vocals over groovy, drum-machine-driven post-punk. Naturally I don't understand it at all lyrically (anything notable?) but it's a high-quality record that fits into the tradition of its forbears without being a carbon copy of anything. 3.5/5.

I saw you're hoping for more soul, so try this next:

What Color Is Love by Terry Callier
Phileas

• Posted: 11/03/2022 04:24
  • Post subject:
I'm new to the game, not sure how this works but I think I should post an album for review, so here goes nothing:

El Jardin De Los Presentes by Invisible
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2022 19:25
  • Post subject:

El Jardín De Los Presentes by Invisible

This album is an interesting and mellow listen. While I'm not exactly a prog head (which probably prevents me from giving it a higher rating on first listen), I find this very well put-together instrumentally and engaging throughout. It's a shame that I can't fully appreciate the lyrics, because apparently they are key to what makes this album so well-regarded. Although El Jardín De Los Presentes hasn't clicked yet, it could be a grower, and I will definitely keep it in my library and give it another listen later. 3.5/5.

Welcome! Try this:

Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit
Phileas

• Posted: 11/08/2022 19:19
  • Post subject:

I really liked this album on first listen. I liked the playing better than the singing, though I loved the vocal harmonies. None of the tracks blew my mind but they all work well together and for me there is no weak song in the collection. I'm sure a lot of them will grow into favourites. This was my personal introduction to Spirit and I thank you!

Rating: 4/5

Last edited by Phileas on 11/09/2022 03:04; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 11/08/2022 20:57
  • Post subject:
Phileas wrote:

I really liked this album on first listen. I liked the playing better than the singing, though I loved the vocal harmonies. None of the tracks blew my mind but they all work really well together and for me there is no weak song in the collection. I'm sure a lot of them will grow into favourites. This was my personal introduction to Spirit and I thank you!

Rating: 4/5

Hi, welcome! Just a reminder: you must also nominate an album for the user above you - in this case baystateoftheart - exactly as you did in your first post.
  • Visit poster's website
Phileas

• Posted: 11/09/2022 03:13
  • Post subject:
My bad. For Baystateoftheart then:

The Complete Hot Five & Hot Seven R... Armstrong
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2022 21:12
  • Post subject:

The Complete Hot Five & Hot Seven R... Armstrong

I've heard a fair amount of Louis Armstrong and dixieland incidentally throughout my life, but this is my first time hearing a full album's worth of either in one sitting. The first of three installments, it does not disappoint. These sides, recorded 1925-26, brim with energy and work well for either active listening or background music. While I prefer the jazz of 3+ decades later, this compilation of top-shelf recordings from just a few decades into the genre's existence is worth checking out for anyone who wants to take a closer look at its evolution. 3.5/5.

Let's keep it psychedelic for now:

Os Mutantes by Os Mutantes
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/14/2022 12:02
  • Post subject:

What Color Is Love by Terry Callier
Well I can definitely see why this is considered a classic. It's a wonderful, gorgeous record. Even the slower songs burst with life, no matter the theme and mood. I've already expressed my admiration of the more maximalist soul styles like the one on display here. The songs include a lot of percussion, trumpets, saxophones, horns, violins, violas, cellos... It's wonderful and rich and the songwriting is good to boot. One of the best soul album you've recommended me bay, lovin' it. Highlights include the first three tracks and the closer, but the rest is almost as impressive. Actually, the biggest highlight is Terry Callier's guitar playing and the impeccable sound. From the production to mixing to the playing. 8/10

This one next bay. It seems it's the only album of the classic Cure run you haven't rated. Much better than many people claim, it's wonderfully psychedelic and poppy.

The Top by The Cure

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2022 03:57
  • Post subject:

Detaching From Satan by Paul Chain Violet Theatre

It's been a long time since I listened to this. I did listen to it right after you recced it, but I had forgotten that I had never responded. I remember it being some surprisingly doomy-sounding stuff for when it was made, and I thought it was pretty cool. Sorry I don't have much else to say.

The Problem With Me by Seam
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/18/2022 00:53
  • Post subject:

The Problem With Me by Seam

This is pretty good chief. It didn't really feel unique at all, every part of the equation sounded like a band I've already heard, but overall it's very much likable. Plus it's from 1993, so predates a lot of the comparable bands. I'm a sucker for cool lofi alt 90s indie I guess. A lot of Yo La Tengo and Pavement, some Built to Spill and Dinosaur Jr., a few jangly The Sundays licks, a pinch of shoegaze and a stolen Slint riff (it's literally stolen, sounds exactly like Good Morning Captain) and I'm over the moon. 8/10

I'm in love with this new Daniel Avery record. Need a second opinion.

Ultra Truth by Daniel Avery

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website