20%
 20%  [9]
Total Votes : 44

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2013 16:36
  • Post subject: Bob Dylan vs Paul Simon or Van Morrison
Ok, so here's a chance for all of you true Bob Dylan fan's to help us understand why Bob Dylan deserves to be ranked higher than Van Morrison or Paul Simon (Simon and Garfunkel and/or Solo).

I feel like Bob Dylan is a poet, who also makes ok music from time to time.

I feel like Paul Simon, from beginning till present makes solid good music, with thought provoking lyrics.

I feel like Van Morrison makes really good music from time to time with more "artsy" lyrics for a lack of a better term.

Please vote and intelligently explain why Smile.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2013 16:37
  • Post subject:
Paul Simon I feel is the best guitarist and vocalist out of the bunch.
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2013 16:40
  • Post subject:
Simon's the best overall musician, better singer than Dylan, and right up there with Dylan as a lyricist. I prefer Dylan's music when performed by others. Van Morrison I just don't consider to be in the caliber of the other two, though his music's undeniably good.

• Posted: 03/06/2013 16:44
  • Post subject:
Bob Dylan. There is nothing I can add to help people understand why Bob Dylan tends to be held in higher regard than Paul Simon or Van Morrison amongst many that hasn't already been said a million times before. He's a better, more prolific songwriter who has continually put out great music for decades. His songs are some of the most important and recognisable of all-time. I've never been big on Simon anyway (I find Simon & Garfunkel pretty, if largely uninteresting to me, and I believe his solo work to be vastly overrated), whilst I think Van Morrison very rarely put out great albums (Astral Weeks, Moondance, Tupelo Honey, Veedon Fleece, not much else). Dylan has put out over a dozen albums which I think are stunning, and his body of work is unmatched in popular music. I don't mind if people feel differently, but asking Dylan fans to explain why they think so highly of Dylan is a bit strange. Surely you know why people love Bob Dylan so much, even if you feel differently. It's been reiterated enough times.

• Posted: 03/06/2013 16:47
  • Post subject:
I'd also just like to point out that I feel people greatly and unfairly underestimate Dylan's abilities as a musician purely because of how great his lyrics were. Go back and listen to his guitar playing and his compositional work and then try and tell me he's essentially just a "poet with a band" (an accusation I've seen thrown at Dylan many times).
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2013 16:51
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I'd also just like to point out that I feel people greatly and unfairly underestimate Dylan's abilities as a musician purely because of how great his lyrics were. Go back and listen to his guitar playing and his compositional work and then try and tell me he's essentially just a "poet with a band" (an accusation I've seen thrown at Dylan many times).

This. It's shocking to me how many people I've been hearing from lately that Dylan was not much more than a great lyricist. I don't think I'd be able to listen to him if he was nothing more than a poet.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2013 16:58
  • Post subject:
Dylan. Although I do have a soft spot for Morrison.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2013 17:13
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:

I guess "abilities as a musician" could be better defined. I think maybe when people say he is a terrible musician, they mean they feel he is a terrible performer. His singing is noted by many that they think it sucks (I like it actually), and his guitar playing is "choppy". I for one enjoy all Dylan covers better than what Dylan did himself, for example. But there is a reason why all of those artists have covered Dylan... which is why I am trying to understand the "magic".

I am listening to his entire discography, starting from the beginning, and we shall see if I can make it through it... Paul Simon, no problem.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2013 17:15
  • Post subject:
Bob Dylan
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2013 17:20
  • Post subject:
Hmmm interesting... The UK is all over Bob, 2nd album went to number 1. First album to go number 1 in the US was Planet Waves in 1974. 68 was Paul Simon's first number 1 album... cultural differences- who cares about sales... just sayin.
  • Visit poster's website